• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all religions on here about divination

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
In theory, the devil can interfere with divination or the diviner... or worse. But on a practical level...

Divination doesn't work.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
If divination is from the devil.And divination works.Why can't you use it to see the devil is a liar?:confused:

It ultimately enslaves and we end up seeking that which is not from God. The end of that journey is lies and death. It is the bait that looks good but the the Devil uses it to reel you in.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Divination isn't future-telling. It's looking a aids designed to trigger your subconscious and/or make you reflect on things your life. I'm specifically thinking of tarot here. Some fundamentalists use Bible divination, where they open the Bible to a random page and reflect on how it relates to their current situation. It's all one big Rohrschach test but there's nothing evil about any of it.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Divination isn't future-telling. It's looking a aids designed to trigger your subconscious and/or make you reflect on things your life. I'm specifically thinking of tarot here. Some fundamentalists use Bible divination, where they open the Bible to a random page and reflect on how it relates to their current situation. It's all one big Rohrschach test but there's nothing evil about any of it.

Too anecdotal and subjective to believe.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
If the Devil is the power behind it...do you really think that he would let you find that out, through using it? Grief, he controls it!

Remember, he can seem to be an “angel of light.” 2 Corinthians 11:14.
And who controls the world? 1 John 5:19

C’mon, Frank!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
If the Devil is the power behind it...do you really think that he would let you find that out, through using it? Grief, he controls it!

Remember, he can seem to be an “angel of light.” 2 Corinthians 11:14.
And who controls the world? 1 John 5:19

C’mon, Frank!

C'mon Frank??? The above did not respond to my posts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If divination is from the devil.And divination works.Why can't you use it to see the devil is a liar?:confused:

How I see it is divination is more about the diviner. The diviner uses his energies, the spirits, what/whoever to connect, practice, be grateful, reflect, and/or just find ways to connect the dots through daily events.

It's like christian prayer. When christians pray, "please help my father get over this cancer" and the father goes into remission, it's said that god answered that prayer's prayer. It makes her (the prayer) be self-aware of "answers" that she may not have received if she had not prayed. It's a meditative technique.

Divination is the same way as with other rituals and meditations. It's usually from the diviner, prayer, practitioner rather than a devil, god, or so have you working outside in. Internal connection not a material one.

So, I guess you got to believe the devil exists and know what a devil is. If divination is about you (and yes, I agree, it does work) and from you, than whatever or however you define the devil is what/who you are contacting. Whether it's real just because it's written in a book or what you believe is up for grabs.

You could probably see if the devil's is lying but again it really depends on what you mean by devil and how do you define divination? It's not an evil practice nor demonic so...

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I agree with everything you've said. However, I think the OP is focusing on Divination as defined in the Old Testament.

Divination | My Jewish Learning

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Divination does NOT work, which is why it is forbidden. It messes with people's heads, leads them into destructive superstitious thought, and robs them not only of their money and time, but of their sense of reality. It is a dark art in the sense that darkness obscures truth. Forget Satan. Satan is not necessary for something to be destructive. Even Astrology is a waste of time and energy and teaches an unhealthy world view.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Because it comes from a dark source (the devil/dark forces/etc, depending on what religion you adhere to). The moment you start divining, there you've gone and sinned, meaning you've added more darkness. Best to banish the darkness with light than to add more darkness

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I use divination, but don't believe it comes from the devil (unless one were to equate metaphorically the subconscious and devil).

My personal belief is that divination provides a kind of framework or focus for a person, and can allow the subconscious to come through in a way similar to a Rorschach test. It is often helpful for me in decisions involving complex factors.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Divination is a crock. No one should be so foolish as to roll dice to try to find esoteric knowledge. It's as silly as plucking the petals of a daisy saying "He loves me, he loves me not." Sometimes divination seems to work because (like in Tarot) you have a really good Intuitive reading you, and telling you things that fit, and that ultimately you want to hear. This stuff will break your bank account and mess up your life if you let it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm just going to leave this here - Divination - Not What You Think

Short version - what you believe about divination and how it works is subject to some pretty strong cultural biases for most of us. The assumption that divination involves a supernatural force like "the devil" is precisely that - an assumption. Embrace or discard as you wish.

YeshuaRedeemed

Revelation 3:10
In theory, the devil can interfere with divination or the diviner... or worse. But on a practical level...

Divination doesn't work.
The Bible teaches against that stuff, but Jesus said to love thy neighbor, so I refuse to hate on people for that.