• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question for all of the atheists on here

Frank Goad

If atheists are not bothered by the idea of God why keep up the arguing?:confused: That would be like going to the movies and saying you didn't like a certain movie.But like a week later still arguing about it.I am just asking a question off the top of my head here.Not trying to start an argument.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
If atheists are not bothered by the idea of God why keep up the arguing?:confused: That would be like going to the movies and saying you didn't like a certain movie.But like a week later still arguing about it.I am just asking a question off the top of my head here.Not trying to start an argument.

To practice argument. It's a good skill to work on. The ability to convince people. Also to continue to test my own world view. I'm not right about everything and sometimes that's something that is hard to see for yourself. So opportunity for others to point out your mistakes.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Because of the influence that religion still has on my daily life.
School admission, assisted suicide, same sex marriage/relations, tax free status, birth control and abortion, etc.etc.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

The problem is that this movie is played even where it should not.

And that movie has the pretense to influence our life and morality on account of made up divinities that do not have the slightest shred of evidence.

So, play that movie only in your homes and we will not care.

Ciao

- viole

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
When faced with a concept or idea that one does not embrace in one's own life, the reactions of a given person are as diverse as humanity itself.

Some folks just like to hear themselves talk.
Some folks like to argue to shore up their convictions.
Some folks are simply argumentative and complain a lot in general.
Some folks use it as a learning exercise.

On the internet these days (and also in the media), some stir up controversy, nasty, and argumentation in their "channels" because it gets views and makes them money.

Lots of possibilities. In what way does the answer matter?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Same as pointing out to people proactively engaged in pronouncing that the Earth is flat. Imagine if no one ever bothered to correct that.

It would be a grave disservice not to counterpoint theism and to just allow such misinformation and fabrication to continue unabated and unchallenged.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I find mythology and story telling in general fascinating. I love learning. Those are two main reasons.

I find myself peculiar in that I am not offended at all in debate or argument. While I find that others are like this too, arguing in a forum designed for such I seem to run less of a chance of people taking something I say personal.

Also, I really do believe that atheism is an amazing worldview about which others should learn. (Especially those who think athiesm is a mere lack of belief).

Lastly, RF offers a group of diverse perspectives. From the troll to the wise, the crazy to genius, I don't mind tossing my voice in with that mix. Those who do not like my voice can write me off (or put me on ignore) without any substantial energy on their part.

Hope this helps.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

And if others who like the movie were trying to change the laws based on that movie, trying to change the school system based on that movie, trying to condemn others based on that movie, and claiming that only those who like the movie can be moral, I would probably be rather vocal about that movie being one I don't like.