• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question: daily office

EverChanging

This question will probably be most pertinent to Episcopalians and Anglicans of a liberal bent.

I keep the discipline of saying the Daily Office staying mostly within the rubrics and content of the 1979 Episcopal Book of Common Prayer.

Many of the readings that come up in the office are difficult for me: a passage in Titus that comes up I think twice admonishing slaves to obey masters, children their parents, wives their husbands, and everyone the government. Then there are passages coming up in Romans about how Israel has been cut off because of their unbelief. And passages that cast Jews in a bad light in general, particularly during the Lenten season and Holy Week. Some of the worst passages come up on Good Friday. Christianity has a particularly heinous history with the Jews.

Understanding the socio-historic and literary context of some passages helps, but sometimes it seems like the text that comes up in the office is simply very nasty and I am not sure there is any benefit in praying it or what I am supposed to do with that. The Episcopal Church in one of her resolutions did make an intention to examine our liturgies and lectionaries for passages of scripture that express or stir up antisemitism. After I read a passage I always say, "Here endeth the lesson: separate the wheat from the chaff and discern what the spirit saith." But sometimes it's not so easy to do.

If you feel similarly to me and have a low (or liberal) view of scripture, how do you deal with passages like this that come up in the lectionary in the office or during the eucharistic liturgy? I could use some advice as this issue haunts me.