• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about use of religious scriptures

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Not sure if that accurately describes me. I certainly don't operate on the assumption that there is no one wiser than me. I just question everything, including doctors, etc.

Not accepting things blindly or at face value doesn't necessarily equate to or imply arrogance.

Sorry ... it was just a statement, and I don't think it does apply to you. I also question doctors, plumbers etc. The true essence of a Guru is a reflection of yourself. A Guru's teachings are twofold ... one set for everyone, but another area where it's one to one so what he says applies to you and you alone. The Guru can see individual karmic patterns so works with individuals, one at a time. My Guru once said to me casually ... "You know, some of my best teachings have been sitting in airports." This was in an airport, and it was a casual discussion just between the two of us. We go on pilgrimage to see my Guru now, and schedule a meeting. I come prepared with questions, as does Boss (We go together but could go alone as well.) Once every two years or so we have what's called private darshan. (audience) At that time even the assistant monk will sit far enough away as to not hear the conversation. It is during this private meetings that the teachings really come though. In a class situation, you don't really know who He's talking to. One time a friend thought the Guru was talking to him so went out to 'correct' his behaviour. When the guru found out, he said, 'No need to do that. I wasn't talking to you."

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
With all seriousness, can you give an example of "perfect scripture"? Every bit of scripture I've ever encountered is logically inconsistent with itself.

It seems to me that people who are well intended and who rely on scripture, must be interpreting the scripture through a philosophical, moral and ethical foundation that they had before they encountered the scripture. Armed with that foundation, they can find verses that reinforce what they already believed.
In my understanding of the different scriptures in religions yes you find texts that look like they contradict each other, but even I do not understand why it was written this way, it makes perfect sense when one studies the texts over long time. In my understanding, it has to do with the level of wisdom each of us has reached within the scripture. So when you read the scripture one time, you understand it one way, when you read it 10 times 100 times or a thousand times, every time the scripture gives you more wisdom why it was given as it is.
It is in my understanding not enough to read it one time and only believe it without study it deeply.

Maybe you disagree on this, but i gave you my understanding of it.
So all religious texts do keep truth within it

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry ... it was just a statement, and I don't think it does apply to you. I also question doctors, plumbers etc. The true essence of a Guru is a reflection of yourself. A Guru's teachings are twofold ... one set for everyone, but another area where it's one to one so what he says applies to you and you alone. The Guru can see individual karmic patterns so works with individuals, one at a time. My Guru once said to me casually ... "You know, some of my best teachings have been sitting in airports." This was in an airport, and it was a casual discussion just between the two of us. We go on pilgrimage to see my Guru now, and schedule a meeting. I come prepared with questions, as does Boss (We go together but could go alone as well.) Once every two years or so we have what's called private darshan. (audience) At that time even the assistant monk will sit far enough away as to not hear the conversation. It is during this private meetings that the teachings really come though. In a class situation, you don't really know who He's talking to. One time a friend thought the Guru was talking to him so went out to 'correct' his behaviour. When the guru found out, he said, 'No need to do that. I wasn't talking to you."

I'm trying to find it now, but I recall listening to a talk by a swami (maybe Sarvapriyananda?) in which he describes an enlightened guru who was asked the same question, "Does God really exist?" by both a theist and an agnostic atheist. I don't recall the exact reasoning for doing so, but to the theist he said, "No." and to the agnostic atheist he said, "Yes." Both were grateful for the answer and relieved to have certainty of the existence (or lack thereof) of God. I'll come back here if I find it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm trying to find it now, but I recall listening to a talk by a swami (maybe Sarvapriyananda?) in which he describes an enlightened guru who was asked the same question, "Does God really exist?" by both a theist and an agnostic atheist. I don't recall the exact reasoning for doing so, but to the theist he said, "No." and to the agnostic atheist he said, "Yes." Both were grateful for the answer and relieved to have certainty of the existence (or lack thereof) of God. I'll come back here if I find it.

That happens a lot actually, in my experience. Some folks, especially those who haven't been around very long, think that what applies to them from the Guru's moth applies to everyone. It boils down to the ultimate speaking to your audience.

There was a very brain injured child I knew and He advised the parents to feed her a bit of meat, for example. It most certainly didn't apply to everyone else. So specific teachings for specific people. I got a lot of advice on how to deal with the Sri Lankan Tamils, for example, as that's the temple community I belong to. Others would have never gotten that advice, as it wouldn't have applied to them at all.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
In my understanding of the different scriptures in religions yes you find texts that look like they contradict each other, but even I do not understand why it was written this way, it makes perfect sense when one studies the texts over long time. In my understanding, it has to do with the level of wisdom each of us has reached within the scripture. So when you read the scripture one time, you understand it one way, when you read it 10 times 100 times or a thousand times, every time the scripture gives you more wisdom why it was given as it is.
It is in my understanding not enough to read it one time and only believe it without study it deeply.

Maybe you disagree on this, but i gave you my understanding of it.
So all religious texts do keep truth within it

And I think that people gain wisdom IN SPITE OF scripture, not because of it. ;)

syo

The scripture in each religion is of course seen as the true teaching within the religion we follow.
But a question arises both from experiences done, but also from seeing how others react to the scripture.

The question is.

If you read a religious scripture and come to understand this is the truth, this is how the world actually is. Then before you look up from the scripture you close your eyes and "meditate" on what you just read. then you open your eyes, walk out into the world with only scripture in mind. Aren't you going to be shocked when you look around and see that the world is not as perfect as scripture tells you?
What i trying to say is, yes we do need the scripture to understand the teachings, But if we can not see the fault in the world when we look at it. how can we behave incorrect way toward others when they do not see the same world as you do?

Or are my thoughts really far off this time?
It depends the scripture. I was a christian at school, and at 20 I read the Bible. I became an atheist. Now I am a pagan. I read the pagan scripture and it was the opposite of the Bible. Pagan scripture sees the world as it is. In pagan scripture there is both the beauty of the world and the ugliness of an ill-treated world. In paganism we simply encourage the beautiful side of the world. I hope I make sense.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It depends the scripture. I was a christian at school, and at 20 I read the Bible. I became an atheist. Now I am a pagan. I read the pagan scripture and it was the opposite of the Bible. Pagan scripture sees the world as it is. In pagan scripture there is both the beauty of the world and the ugliness of an ill-treated world. In paganism we simply encourage the beautiful side of the world. I hope I make sense.
Yes it makes sense :) I was born a Christian my self, but become Buddhist age of 20 after 5 years of study different spiritual scriptures :) And yes Bible do focus a lot about what not to do and not what actually to do, except for the 10 commandments. But the bible has a lot of good too

syo

Yes it makes sense :) I was born a Christian my self, but become Buddhist age of 20 after 5 years of study different spiritual scriptures :) And yes Bible do focus a lot about what not to do and not what actually to do, except for the 10 commandments. But the bible has a lot of good too
Yes, I agree. Now I try to focus on the good parts of the bible, and I reject half the book. :confused:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Aren't you going to be shocked when you look around and see that the world is not as perfect as scripture tells you?

No. Our scriptures tell us why the world is the way it is. Scriptures know the world isn't perfect. Therefore there should be no shock. Our scriptures also tell us how to make living in this world better for us individually, despite its flaws.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The scripture in each religion is of course seen as the true teaching within the religion we follow.
But a question arises both from experiences done, but also from seeing how others react to the scripture.

The question is.

If you read a religious scripture and come to understand this is the truth, this is how the world actually is. Then before you look up from the scripture you close your eyes and "meditate" on what you just read. then you open your eyes, walk out into the world with only scripture in mind. Aren't you going to be shocked when you look around and see that the world is not as perfect as scripture tells you?
What i trying to say is, yes we do need the scripture to understand the teachings, But if we can not see the fault in the world when we look at it. how can we behave incorrect way toward others when they do not see the same world as you do?

Or are my thoughts really far off this time?
My approach is to treat all scriptures as if they're allegory, focusing on the basic teachings, and then seeing which of those teachings might be helpful. Therefore, using this approach, I can walk into any church, synagogue, mosque, or temple and feel right at home.