• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about the human soul

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
When do you think the human spirit enters the womb?:confused:
the Bible doesn't necessarily say exactly that "the human spirit enters into the womb when..." however, it would certain IMV look like it happens when conception occurs. :)

Isaiah 42:5
Here are the words of the true God, Yahweh, the one who created the starry heavens and stretched them out. He is the one who formed the earth and filled it with life. He gives breath to every person and spirit to everyone everywhere.

Luke 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

and others

nPeace

Veteran Member
That's an interesting question Frank. You actually set me thinking on this.
Since the human spirit is the life force, which is needed to sustain life, and it is from the source of life - Jehovah God, then Jehovah would be the one who gave the spirit. How?
I really don't know Frank... to be honest.
However, I will research it, and get back to you, as soon as I can.
I'm am not on RF too regular, and sometimes, for days, so if no one else provides a satisfactory answer... just be patient.
Good question though.

nPeace

Veteran Member
the Bible doesn't necessarily say exactly that "the human spirit enters into the womb when..." however, it would certain IMV look like it happens when conception occurs. :)

Isaiah 42:5
Here are the words of the true God, Yahweh, the one who created the starry heavens and stretched them out. He is the one who formed the earth and filled it with life. He gives breath to every person and spirit to everyone everywhere.

Luke 1:35
And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

and others
Good scripture Isaiah 42:5.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Ah! Do you leave logic behind when you consider such questions? What does reasoning mean if not application of logic?
What guarantee that what all is written is true? Reason it. Apply logic. Does it survive reasoning?

Wandering Monk

Jewish traditions seems to believe when the baby draws its first breath, because the word for 'spirit' and 'breath' are the same word (ruach.) As in 'God breathed into Adam and Adam became a living soul.'

nPeace

Veteran Member
Ah! Do you leave logic behind when you consider such questions? What does reasoning mean if not application of logic?
What guarantee that what all is written is true? Reason it. Apply logic. Does it survive reasoning?
I only asked. I just wanted to know. Did I do something wrong?

lostwanderingsoul

Spirit? Each atom is alive, even in a stone, and so is any group of them. A fetus is a huge collection of atoms. Enters! It is created in the womb when conception takes place.
I have never heard of atoms being alive.Especially atoms in a stone. Can you quote a source for this statement?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why do you think I presumed this? I didn't presume anything. I investigated. Isn't that what we should do?
Sounds good. How do you know though? Is it written somewhere, or are you reasoning from logic alone?
You are saying that logic is insufficient and it must have been written somewhere.
What Buddha tells me is exactly the opposite:
"Kalamas, do not go upon .. what is in a scripture (piṭaka-sampadāna), .."
Kesamutti Sutta - Wikipedia

@lostwanderingsoul, As for atoms, read it here, and in links mentioned in the article. If the electrons in an atom are moving with a speed of 2,200 kilometers per second (Google Search), how can you take an atom to be anything other than alive. The nucleus of an atom spins 10 raised to power 21 times per second. The same for any atom in your body.

Last edited:

epronovost

As for atoms, read it here, and in links mentioned in the article. If the electrons in an atom are moving with a speed of 2,200 kilometers per second (Google Search), how can you take an atom to be anything other than alive. The nucleus of an atom spins 10 raised to power 21 times per second. The same for any atom in your body.

Movement isn't life as we commonly refer to it. Life is an extremely complex chemical reaction that is difficult to define and has no official clear and universaly accepted definition in science. Pretty much all commonly accepted definition of life includes the following characteristics: metabolic process, have a life cycle, environmental adaptation, controled stimulous response, composed of cells, able to maintain homeostasis, able to reproduce, etc. Atoms don't tick a single one of these and neither do rocks. Thus they aren't alive.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Maybe spirit and physics have a symbiotic relationship. Perhaps the information achieves spirit form. Without spirit stuff and it's language the body could be a meaningless arrangement of molecular stuff.

Is life its own essence and uniquely its own stuff. That makes sense because of apparent design of human form and function.

If you accept foresight and planning in the makings of life then you have to follow a different logic that's more explanatory then materialist logic. I go with the logic that is explanatory of the purposes we see in life forms. Thus spirit is its own stuff of its own rules and essence.

Spirit is sophisticated but far from ideal. Life is on an exploratory journey and discovering its very own essence.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Life is an extremely complex chemical reaction that is difficult to define and has no official clear and universally accepted definition in science.
All life finally boils down to movement of electrons. No electrons, no life. Not even erosion in rocks.

epronovost

All life finally boils down to movement of electrons. No electrons, no life. Not even erosion in rocks.

Yes, but electron movement isn't life. Life is something more precise and concise than this making your argument spurious. Would seriously hurt your ego so much to simply ditch a bad argument you made? Everybody makes a bad argument once in a while. There is no shame in making one, being called out and folding. There is great shame in trying to insist that an error isn't an error even when it's flatly the case.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I will stick with what I have said. You can try to make life mysterious, esoteric, divine or whatever. Bring in Gods, angels, Satan, prophets. sons, messengers, manifestations, mahdis. Write out books which contain nothing but self-praise and falsehood. For me it is simply a chemical/physical process like any other in the universe.
You claim to be an atheist, why are you siding with others? No, electron movement, not even fertilization. ;)

Last edited:

epronovost

You claim to be an atheist, why are you siding with others?

Because your logic is terrible. Atoms aren't alive; neither is movement a condition or a precondition for life since technically nothing is immobile thus movement isn't a defining caracteristic of anything. Being a precondition for the apparition of life doesn't make you life anymore than being water makes you a fish.

And please don't try to appeal to some sort of tribalism for me to rally myself under your idiotic argument.