• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about stealing.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
So if you attack someone with a knife it is not as bad to cut them once as to cut them twice. Complete nonsense. If you take something that is not yours, it is stealing. Period.
Stabbing a person once is not as bad as stabbing them 20 times.

Stealing $1,000 from a billionaire does far less damage to the person then stealing $1,000 from someone who only makes $1,000 a month. The billionaire is hardly losing anything. It arguably does not affect them.

One offense does far more damage to the victim than the other. I would consider the degree of damage done to the victim makes one crime more serious than the other.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Stealing $1,000 from a billionaire does far less damage to the person then stealing $1,000 from someone who only makes $1,000 a month. The billionaire is hardly losing anything. It arguably does not affect them.

One offense does far more damage to the victim than the other. I would consider the degree of damage done to the victim makes one crime more serious than the other.

Ever notice that the lady who holds the scales of justice is blindfolded? There is a reason.

lostwanderingsoul

If you stab a person one time and he dies that is worse than if you stab him 20 times and he survives. But stealing does not depend on the amount or who it is taken from.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Is stealing $1,000 from a billionaire like Bill Gates or Donald Trump as sinful as stealing $1,000 from someone who only makes $1,000 a month? I feel like the latter is a worse sin.

Is shoplifting from Walmart just as sinful as stealing the same item from someone who is impoverished? I personally think the latter is worse.
if you cannot be trusted with the least of things....
how then to be trusted with anything greater?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Is stealing $1,000 from a billionaire like Bill Gates or Donald Trump as sinful as stealing $1,000 from someone who only makes $1,000 a month? I feel like the latter is a worse sin.

Is shoplifting from Walmart just as sinful as stealing the same item from someone who is impoverished? I personally think the latter is worse.
on the other hand......

David stole the show bread from the priests.....to feed his men
and was then considered great for having done so

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You're correct on principle, but like already mentioned, stealing is stealing.
So right and wrong is deontological, and not determined by consequences?
So if you attack someone with a knife it is not as bad to cut them once as to cut them twice. Complete nonsense. If you take something that is not yours, it is stealing. Period.
I don't think anyone's arguing that it isn't stealing. We're discussing the wrongness of it.
Does the effect of an act not figure into your evaluation of it?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
on the other hand......

David stole the show bread from the priests.....to feed his men
and was then considered great for having done so
Which highlights a glaring contradiction with the Ten Commandments. "Thou shalt not steal".

It pretty much seals the fact that the Bible is contradictory as opposed to those who naysay and maintain the alternative.

PureX

Veteran Member
Stealing is always wrong, taking what is not given to you is wrong deed.
Killing is also always wrong. But is sometimes necessary, nevertheless. Because we do not live in a world of ideals. We live in a world of ignorance, and necessity.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Killing is also always wrong. But is sometimes necessary, nevertheless. Because we do not live in a world of ideals. We live in a world of ignorance, and necessity.

As a Buddhist i try to free my self from the world of ignorance. And both killing and stealing is a wrong deed. But i do ot judge others for what they do. I can only speak for my self.

Jumi

From a moral stand point it is wrong to steal . If it is in a store, they can try explain why they need food.
But kids does not always think like that
It's a hypothetical situation, and not everyone everywhere will give food to the starving if they could. If they steal something to eat or stay warm it could be an exception if they would die otherwise.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's a hypothetical situation, and not everyone everywhere will give food to the starving if they could. If they steal something to eat or stay warm it could be an exception if they would die otherwise.

In time of war i can agree sometimes taking what is not given can be life saving. But outside war no i see it as stealing even i understand why they do it. Personally i can say i would not do it.

Jumi

In time of war i can agree sometimes taking what is not given can be life saving. But outside war no i see it as stealing even i understand why they do it. Personally i can say i would not do it.
If it was a matter of survival, does it matter if it's war or peacetime? Having them die during peacetime seems a bit harsh.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If it was a matter of survival, does it matter if it's war or peacetime? Having them die during peacetime seems a bit harsh.

What is meant is that we as human race should help each other out, if someone is so poor that they do not have food, we should give to them. (for the record Yes i do so )

Jumi

What is meant is that we as human race should help each other out, if someone is so poor that they do not have food, we should give to them. (for the record Yes i do so )
If there is no one giving to them then they should just die? :skull: