• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about stealing.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Is stealing $1,000 from a billionaire like Bill Gates or Donald Trump as sinful as stealing $1,000 from someone who only makes $1,000 a month? I feel like the latter is a worse sin.

Is shoplifting from Walmart just as sinful as stealing the same item from someone who is impoverished? I personally think the latter is worse.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
If you are an atheist who doesn't believe in sin, do you think one is a worse crime than the other?

74x12

Is stealing $1,000 from a billionaire like Bill Gates or Donald Trump as sinful as stealing $1,000 from someone who only makes $1,000 a month? I feel like the latter is a worse sin.

Is shoplifting from Walmart just as sinful as stealing the same item from someone who is impoverished? I personally think the latter is worse.
You're no doubt correct but that doesn't mean either one is right. :p

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Wrongs are weighed by the severity of their impact. While both are wrong, it is worse to steal from someone who is impoverished because they suffer greater from the theft than would a large corporation like Walmart. The consequences of actions are what make either right or wrong to begin with, not the arbitrary concept of "sin".

Edit: Intent and motive factor in, too.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The wrongness of stealing depends on the injury it causes and whether there are any mitigating factors involved.

For instance, a corporation, such as Walmart, that steals a thousand dollars from a low wage employee by requiring him or her to work overtime off the clock is committing a greater wrong than a person who steals a thousand dollars from a billionaire, because the former theft hurts someone more than the latter theft.

But into that you can also factor mitigating factors. If someone steals food in order to survive, and does not thereby cause someone else to go hungry and/or die, that's not such a bad thing as a corporation stealing from low wage employees in order to increase its profits.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Stealing is wrong regardless the situation. Justification for the action (wrong or right) is taken into consideration before punishing the perosn for her action.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

If you are an atheist who doesn't believe in sin, do you think one is a worse crime than the other?

Stealing is wrong. The wealth of someone from whom you steal has no impact on the wrongness of the act.

However, in terms of causality, there is a significant difference of impact when it comes to harm done.

Salix,
A non-atheist that does not believe in sin.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You're correct on principle, but like already mentioned, stealing is stealing.

Jumi

It's the same as demanding more of someone's total wealth for basic services.

Steeling from the wealthy insults all the hard work the wealthy went through to get to that status.

It also says that the wealthy should he ok with it, since they have more then enough. Well, with that intitlement mentality, if everyone took from the wealthy, then the wealthy would have nothing and be right back at squar one where they began all there hard work.

Perhaps the poor instead of steeling from the ritch, should learn the work ethic from the ritch.

Dont get me wrong now, ritch people should help those who have genuine needs.

But, should you give someone an apple to eat or a seed to plant?

PureX

Veteran Member
Sin is not defined by an act, it's only exemplified by the act. Sin is defined by the spiritual state that enables us to commit the act.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Stealing is stealing no matter how you rationalise it. And what has atheism to do with it. The atheists i know (and i know plenty) are just as moral (if not more so) than many religious people i know.

joe1776

sin is an action or type of behaviour which is believed to break the laws of God.

I don't believe in sin. I take my cues from conscience.

Stealing from someone who needs it does more harm by comparison. And, since conscience seems to warn us against intentionally causing harm to innocent people, I think the amount of harm is a factor.

So, I agree with your instincts.

Last edited:

Duke_Leto

Steeling from the wealthy insults all the hard work the wealthy went through to get to that status.

It also says that the wealthy should he ok with it, since they have more then enough. Well, with that intitlement mentality, if everyone took from the wealthy, then the wealthy would have nothing and be right back at squar one where they began all there hard work.

Perhaps the poor instead of steeling from the ritch, should learn the work ethic from the ritch.

Dont get me wrong now, ritch people should help those who have genuine needs.

But, should you give someone an apple to eat or a seed to plant?

Are you seriously suggesting that wealthy people "worked harder" than poor people?

Are you seriously suggesting that wealthy people "worked harder" than poor people?

No, no im not.

Some poor people work hard, but get ****y luck.

But, luck does not play a 100% role either.

Its not just hard work, its SMART work. As the saying goes, work smarter not harder. Smart decisions help with success too.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I had a student (middle class neighbourhood, but darn they should have cognised it) who stole food from other kids in the most sneaky of ways, especially junk food, or candy. This was grade 5, and she had a notorious reputation for it. She's been punished, even strapped for it. Other kids spied on her, and she'd lie about it with an incredibly straight face. When I dug deeper, I saw neglect in the form of physical and emotional hunger. I started supplying snacks. Guess what? The thieving stopped. Sometimes we need to ask why, and look deeper.