• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about spiritul progress

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What do you do in your daily life to gain progress within your spiritual practice?
Do you pay attention to a spiritual lifestyle every day?
Are you a person who think spiritually or are aware of your thoughts every day, so you do not lose spiritual progress?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I no longer consider my life as one cultivating 'spiritual progress'. An outsider might see it that way if they followed me around all day.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What do you do in your daily life to gain progress within your spiritual practice?
I try to start with the realization that spiritual progress is not something we achieve or gain. I'd put it rather this way, I work to let go of obstacles which prevent us from realizing what we already have. We don't try to gain or achieve our lungs, we only learn how to breath better by removing those things which prevent clear breathing.

So what do I do that clears the air so I can breathe? A multitude of healthy practices, such as exercise, relaxation and discipline of the body and the mind, meditation, etc.

Yes. I try to live in such a way as to promote spiritual, mental, and physical wellbeing everyday.

Are you a person who think spiritually or are aware of your thoughts every day, so you do not lose spiritual progress?
This is an interesting question the way you word it, "lose spiritual progress". Yes, we can have setbacks, fall back into negative patterns which create obstacles to spiritual realization. But one thing I am still learning is to realize that growth is not a linear line. Falling back is part of learning how to take the tools you have learned as you are mastering yourself, and applying them to the habits that naturally come back around.

It's part of the process of learning how to integrate higher relizations into the habits of our lives, rather than getting sucked back into the obstacles which had been our prior normal mode of operation. In other words, try not to be too concerned about the old patterns. Recognize them, and just simply don't feed them. Eventually, they become less distracting, and will be replaced by new, healthier habits.

Rather than viewing it as "progress", I think growth is a better term. Growth equals transformation. Not achievements. We don't "achieve" being older and more mature. We simply become more mature through growth.

Notthedarkweb

Indian phil, German idealism, Rawls
Say a mantra over and over again, try to understand the true nature of the world through the dispersal of ignorance, and also try to change my lifestyle to make it less wasteful and more utilitarian. That's what I try to do.

Not sure if I think spiritually. I don't look at everything and go, "Oh, here be the Brahman!". Humans just can't afford that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I take my cue from Rumi, "Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it." That is, I do not shoot for a positive goal, such as to be a nicer guy, I just seek and try to find the barriers I have erected within myself that might be obstructing myself from that goal.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

I’m not sure I ever understood the term “spiritual progress”. :shrug: I want to be a better person and reach God and be with Him. To that end I try to especially keep some important verses from the Bhagavad Gita in mind, those that I believe will draw me closer to God in this life. I hope that when I leave my body He’ll be there, ready to make good on His promises:

O Arjuna! He who thus understands the truth about My embodiment and My deeds - he, on abandoning his present body, is not reborn; he attains to Me. 4.9

Whoever thinks of Me alone even at the time of death, attains to My state on abandoning the body. There is no doubt about this.

Let your mind be engrossed in Me. Offer worship to Me. Be resigned to Me. Beloved as you are of me, I pledge in truth you shall come to Me alone.

Abandoning (after sincere trial) dependence on all Dharmas (or human efforts at moral and spiritual upliftment),come to Me as the only Refuge. Grieve not; I will deliver you from all sins.

Now, this is not something everyone believes, nor is it my job, duty or intention to change anyone’s mind. This is something I follow and try to live by. I can’t even speak for other Vaishnavas (devotees of Vishnu).

To that question, yes. Or at least I try. I’m as concerned as the next person about getting through life... paying bills, doing my job as best I can, trying to be the man my dogs think I am.

Yes, as I said about the BG verses. Keep in mind these things are hard to do for us embodied souls.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I’m not sure I ever understood the term “spiritual progress”. :shrug: I want to be a better person and reach God and be with Him. To that end I try to especially keep some important verses from the Bhagavad Gita in mind, those that I believe will draw me closer to God in this life. I hope that when I leave my body He’ll be there, ready to make good on His promises:

O Arjuna! He who thus understands the truth about My embodiment and My deeds - he, on abandoning his present body, is not reborn; he attains to Me. 4.9

Whoever thinks of Me alone even at the time of death, attains to My state on abandoning the body. There is no doubt about this.

Let your mind be engrossed in Me. Offer worship to Me. Be resigned to Me. Beloved as you are of me, I pledge in truth you shall come to Me alone.

Abandoning (after sincere trial) dependence on all Dharmas (or human efforts at moral and spiritual upliftment),come to Me as the only Refuge. Grieve not; I will deliver you from all sins.

Now, this is not something everyone believes, nor is it my job, duty or intention to change anyone’s mind. This is something I follow and try to live by. I can’t even speak for other Vaishnavas (devotees of Vishnu).

To that question, yes. Or at least I try. I’m as concerned as the next person about getting through life... paying bills, doing my job as best I can, trying to be the man my dogs think I am.

Yes, as I said about the BG verses. Keep in mind these things are hard to do for us embodied souls.
Spiritul progress = Inner wisdom from the cultivation of the teching

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Spiritul progress = Inner wisdom from the cultivation of the teching

Then I guess it’s something I do without thinking about it. It’s become part of my life. We have a thread in the Hinduism DIR about bhakti, i.e. devotion. It can lead to something called being “God intoxicated”. It’s a good feeling. :)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Then I guess it’s something I do without thinking about it. It’s become part of my life. We have a thread in the Hinduism DIR about bhakti, i.e. devotion. It can lead to something called being “God intoxicated”. It’s a good feeling. :)
Does Bhakti translate to Attachments in English? or removal of attachments?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I cultivate spiritual progress by continually being mindful of the truth that I am eternal consciousness experiencing through a temporary form (George).

I continually remind myself that I am loving, peaceful, happy, content, detached, enjoying, helpful and any deviation from continually experiencing these things is wrong thought. I am above the drama below and see it all as temporary.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I check practice with life itself to see how well I fare.

syo

In my head sometimes negative thoughts pop up. I shake them off. I try to have self-awareness. The phrase 'know yourself' I use it as a compass. I use depression as a measure. If I feel depressed, then something doesn't work well, so I try to fix it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm not focused on progress but on trying to meet each situation as mindfully and lovingly as I can. An analogy might be baking a cake. It's true that every step as ingredients are added etc is progress, but the chef is just concerned about the proper execution of each step trusting that the results will eventually be positive.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have reached my goal. So, there is nothing further to seek.
Yeah, I am mindful of what is happening in the outside world as well as inside me.
They said "Brahma veda Brahmaiva bhavati" (One who knows Brahman, verily, becomes Brahman). Once gained, I can't loose the understanding.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Am always trying to pay more attention to everything, and be in a constant state of awareness; learning where missed bits, to recap and be mindful of the causes, so it can be zeroed as a question.

Everything is for a reason, so generally studying life, to learn more clues to reality.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

Neither, I’d say. It’s devotion and/or dedication to the chosen deity. A desire to serve and worship, and ultimately be with the deity (different definitions of that).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not sure if I think spiritually. I don't look at everything and go, "Oh, here be the Brahman!". Humans just can't afford that.
Try it. It can be useful. Though the differences will remain, of the world and the Truth.
True 'bhaikti' is without attachments. They would just be 'bhaktas' without demanding anything from their deities. They would be happy just with that.

Last edited:

Notthedarkweb

Indian phil, German idealism, Rawls
Try it. It can be useful. Though the differences will remain, of the world and the Truth.
Eh, it's generally a thing associated with Advaita. I do respect Sankaracharya's doctrine, but I don't particularly believe in substance monies or Absolute idealism as he does. Although this is obviously a minor philosophical quibble

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Whenever 'spiritual progress' comes up for discussion, I'm reminded of the story about the two young monks going to their master, and asking how they're coming along by asking,"How many more lifetimes do you think I have before moksha?". When the master turns it around on them, the guy who says he's almost there gets the answer, "at least 1000 lifetimes," but the guy who says he figures it'll be 1000 lifetimes gets granted instant moksha.

Not something to fixate on when good works are staring you in the face.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Eh, it's generally a thing associated with Advaita. I do respect Sankaracharya's doctrine, but I don't particularly believe in substance monies or Absolute idealism as he does.
:) Nice. Neither did he. He clearly separated Paramarthika from Vyavaharika. He ran when confronted with a wild elephant or lion (different versions of the story). When people asked him as to why did he run if the elephant or the lion too were Brahman. He replied, "who ran?What elephant? What lion?"

So in Vyavaharika, there is Sankara, the elephant, the lion. In Paramarthika, there is none other than Brahman.

Last edited: