• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about sheol and hades having fire to them.

alex2165

Abaddon – Translated form Hebrew Abaddown derives from the root Abad meaning a Wonder away, Lose oneself, also implemented as Perishing and Destruction

SheolTranslated from Hebrew has a same meaning as a Greek word Hades that is the world of the dead. Sheol also could have other meanings such as Hell, Grave, and Pit

Hades – Translated from Greek as Grave or Hell

Gehenna - Greek word, often used in the Russian Bible, means Hell, Hades, Sheol, a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Information provided by Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary Concordance, and by Greek Dictionary of the New Testament, both by James Strong, Key Study Bible – KSB

Basically all of these names indicate the same place - The World of Dead. This World of Dead is not a physical world but located in spiritual realm, and designed to contain and confide and destroy spirits separated from the Lord.

2Thesalonians 1.9

9.These will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, separated from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His might,

Despite the fact that agony of Hell is a spiritual matter, the pain and agony of soul may be equal or even be greater than physical pain, as it recorded in passages below. The rich man experienced typical agony of physical thirst, the same thirst that Lazarus experienced during his life and perhaps the last hours before his death.

Luke 16.24-26

24.He called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, I am in agony in these flames.’

25.But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things (Luke 6.24) and Lazarus in like manner evil things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.

26.Besides all this, between you and us a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot do so, and no one cross from here to us.’

So this proves the fact that indeed the pain and agony of spiritual Hell equivalent or even greater than the physical pain and agony of flesh.

Matthew 8.11
12.while the heirs of the Kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 13.42.50

42.and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

50.and throw them (the evil) into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luke 13.28

28.There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the Kingdom of GOD, and you yourselves thrown out.

According to some Bible scriptures this World of Dead contains not only actual Hell of Torment but also a place similar to prison (eternal bonds) there spirits wait for their turn to appear on Judgment Day, and even angels are not spared from such fate.

2Peter 2.4

4.If GOD did not spare the angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of deepest darkness to be kept until the judgment,

Jude 1.6

6.And angels who did not kept their own domain, but abandoned their proper adobe, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness, for the judgment of the great Day.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Frank, @Lain is right regarding Song of Solomon 8:6…
What’s the subject being discussed? It’s love, not the Grave.
Love is the fire.

And Luke 16 is just a parable.

And Sheol and Hades are the same.

2ndpillar

I read on a website that sheol and hades both have fire to them.

It mentions fire in Song Of Solomon 8:6

And

Luke 16:24.

The website is right here:

The UNSAVED DEAD go to 'SHEOL' or 'HADES' at DEATH

So what do you think?Real fire or not?:)

Luke 1:1-3 describes the gospel of Luke as a compilation of stories from undeclared sources. Luke 16:24 was most likely a remake of a story found in the Talmud, which apparently includes traditions of the Jews for the consumption of their children to keep them on the straight and narrow. Sheol is simply the Jewish destination of the dead, which is generally a grave, or pit. Hades, would be the Greek god of the dead and underworld/grave, who deals out justice to the dead. Song of Solomon 8:6 is with respect to "jealousy" being as severe as Sheol. It is jealousy which flashes like fire. As for the "furnace of fire" (Matthew 13:42), the "great tribulation" (Matthew 24), it is a place were people, such as Jewish priest (Levites) will be "purified" by fire, such as have their dross burned off, in order to "present to the LORD offerings in righteousness". (Malachi 3:3). As for the fire in Solomon 8:6 a real fire, no. Is Sheol a place of fire, I don't think Jews are voluntarily cremated, and mostly wind up in the grave, with no fire involved, unless of course when the Nazis are involved.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I read on a website that sheol and hades both have fire to them.
It mentions fire in Song Of Solomon 8:6 And Luke 16:24...................So what do you think?Real fire or not?:)
An inquiring mind wants to know.
At Song of Solomon 8:6 the expression is in the capacity of love being inextinguishable.
Love can burn brightly. Love can be as strong as death is strong.
The ' grave ' does Not let go, thus in that sense the grave is cruel because it won't give up its dead.
But Jesus has the keys to unlock the grave ( biblical hell ) -Revelation 1:18

At Luke 16:24 we need to keep in mind that chapter Luke 16 are illustrations and Not real happenings.
Jesus only spoke to the public in general by means of illustrations - Matthew 13:34
Jesus was using a figure of speech because those hate-filled Pharisees would never budge - Matthew 23:2-4.
Those Pharisees were ' tormented ' by Jesus' message for them - Matthew 3:7-12; Luke 16:29; Luke 16:31.
So, nothing to do with what Jesus taught at John 11:11-14 which was a real death and Not figurative.
Jesus taught in harmony with the OT that the dead know nothing, nothing but 'sleep' (RIP)
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5
Sleep until Resurrection Day ( Jesus' Millennium-Long Day of governing over Earth for a thousand years )
Then, at that millennial time as Acts of the Apostles 24:15 says there ' will be ' a resurrection.....

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
.............Gehenna - Greek word, often used in the Russian Bible, means Hell, Hades, Sheol, a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Basically all of these names indicate the same place - The World of Dead. This World of Dead is not a physical world but located in spiritual realm, and designed to contain and confide and destroy spirits separated from the Lord.
2Thesalonians 1.9
9.These will suffer the punishment of eternal destruction, separated from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His might,
Despite the fact that agony of Hell is a spiritual matter, the pain and agony of soul may be equal or even be greater than physical pain, as it recorded in passages below. The rich man experienced typical agony of physical thirst, the same thirst that Lazarus experienced during his life and perhaps the last hours before his death.
Luke 16.24-26

24.He called out, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, I am in agony in these flames.’

25.But Abraham said, ‘Child, remember that during your lifetime you received your good things (Luke 6.24) and Lazarus in like manner evil things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony.

26.Besides all this, between you and us a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who might want to pass from here to you cannot do so, and no one cross from here to us.’

So this proves the fact that indeed the pain and agony of spiritual Hell equivalent or even greater than the physical pain and agony of flesh.

Matthew 8.11
12.while the heirs of the Kingdom will be thrown into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Matthew 13.42.50

42.and they will throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

50.and throw them (the evil) into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Luke 13.28

28.There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the Kingdom of GOD, and you yourselves thrown out.

According to some Bible scriptures this World of Dead contains not only actual Hell of Torment but also a place similar to prison (eternal bonds) there spirits wait for their turn to appear on Judgment Day, and even angels are not spared from such fate.

2Peter 2.4

4.If GOD did not spare the angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of deepest darkness to be kept until the judgment,

Jude 1.6

6.And angels who did not kept their own domain, but abandoned their proper adobe, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness, for the judgment of the great Day.

Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word for: destruction.
ALL the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22; Psalms 37:10-11.
Sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus according to Hebrews 2:14 B,

When King James translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire that put the flames in the grave.
No flames in the grave - just ' sleep ' as Jesus and the OT both teach.
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 1115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I don't care if there is fire or not. I just know that I prefer the Heaven to gain or the Heaven to loose. :)
What about Earth ? Jesus when referring to Psalms 37:10-11was teaching humble meek people will inherit the Earth.

So, instead of loosing Heaven one could gain Earth, everlasting life on Earth.
An Earth where ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I do not think that the disembodied dead have the pains of body when they are condemned.............

I never heard of ' disembodied dead ' in the Bible.
I do read that the condemned are the wicked who are 'destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35

Lain

I never heard of ' disembodied dead ' in the Bible.
I do read that the condemned are the wicked who are 'destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35

Maybe we have different eyes then. I have heard of the destroyed wicked though, so we have the same eyes for that.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
What about Earth ? Jesus when referring to Psalms 37:10-11was teaching humble meek people will inherit the Earth.

So, instead of loosing Heaven one could gain Earth, everlasting life on Earth.
An Earth where ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8
Actually, we all come back to earth:

1 Thessalonians 3:13

idea

Question Everything
Actually, we all come back to earth:

the only way Christianity would work is for "all" tears to be wiped away, and all humans to find paradise.

I could never be happy in heaven knowing others were in hell. For anyone who is caring or loving, heaven only exists if everyone is there together.[/QUOTE]

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
the only way Christianity would work is for "all" tears to be wiped away, and all humans to find paradise.

I could never be happy in heaven knowing others were in hell. For anyone who is caring or loving, heaven only exists if everyone is there together.
[/QUOTE]

I'm sure Jesus is just as sad.

alex2165

Gehenna was just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed.
So, Gehenna is a fitting word for: destruction.
ALL the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' - Psalms 92:7; Psalms 104:35; Proverbs 2:21-22; Psalms 37:10-11.
Sinner Satan will be destroyed by Jesus according to Hebrews 2:14 B,

When King James translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire that put the flames in the grave.
No flames in the grave - just ' sleep ' as Jesus and the OT both teach.
- Psalms 6:5; Psalms 13:3; Psalms 1115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5; John 11:11-14
Yes it was a place of rubbish, but before that it has another association with a certain place.

This is that the New International Dictionary of the Bible. J. D. Douglas, Merrill C. Tenney, said about Gehenna.

"Gehena (geenna), a translation of the Aramaic from Hebrew. (ge-ben-hinnom valley of the son of Hinnom). In the OT it was refered to as the Valley of Ben Hinnom (NIV) or the Valley of the sons Hinnom (KJV,RSV, ASV).

A valley west and SW of Jerusalem that formed part of the border between Judah and Benjamin (Joshua 15.8, 18.16), it was still recognized as the border after the Exile (Nehemiah 11.30-31) and is modern Wadi er-Rababi.

Here Ahaz (2Kings 16.3) (2Chronicles 28.3) and Manasseh (2Kings 21.6) (2Chronicles 33.6) sacrificed their sons to Molech (Jeremiah 32.35). For this reason Josiah defiled the place (2Kings 23.10).

After referring to these idolatrous practices (Jeremiah 7.31-32), Jeremiah prophesied a great slaughter of the people there and in Jerusalem (Jeremiah 19.1-13).

After the OT period, Jewish apocalyptic writes began to call the Valley of Hinnom the entrance to Hell, later Hell itself. In Jewish usage of the first century A.D, Gehenna referred to the intermediate state of the godless dead, but there is no trace this sense in the NT. The NT distinguishes sharply between Hades, the intermediate, bodiless state, and Gehenna, the state of final punishment after the resurrection of the body.

Gehenna existed before the judgment (Matthew 25.41). The word occurs 12 times in the NT, always translated "Hell" (ASV, RSV margin "Gehenna").

11 times it is on the lips of Jesus: as the final punishment for calling one's brother a fool (Matthew 5.22); for adultery, when the severest measures have not been taken to prevent commission of this offense (Matthew 5.29-30); in a warning about whom to fear (Matthew 10.28) (Luke 12.5); and (Matthew 18.9) (Mark 9.43, 45,47).

A hypocrite is called a "son of Hell" (Matthew 23.15) who cannot escape "being condemned to Hell" (Matthew 23.33). James 3.6 speaks of the "tongue" as "a fire...set on fire by Hell."

A fire was kept burning in the Valley of Hinnom to consume the garbage deposited there by the residents of Jerusalem. Terms parallel to Gehenna include "fiery furnace" Matthew 13.42,50), "fiery lake (Revelation 19.20; 20.14-15), "lake of burning sulfur" (Revelation 20.10), "eternal fire" Jude 7); "Hell" (2Peter 2.4), where the Greek phrase "sent... to Hell" means "cast down to Tartarus," a Greek name for the place of punishment of the wicked dead.

Its use by our Savior Jesus Christ warns us of the destiny that even the love of GOD does not avert from those who finally refuse His forgiveness.

See also Hades; Hell. ER (in the same Dictionary).

The New International Dictionary of the Bible. J. D. Douglas, Merrill C. Tenney.