• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Saul

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Spiritual laws in operation through the stipulated laws in Deut 28. You give permission (by God's spiritual laws) to the enemy if you open the door to the enemy. Like you leaving a door open and wondering why a thief comes in.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Why did God send an evil spirit to Saul?

Jesus said something interesting in connection to what may have happened to King Saul....

“When an unclean spirit comes out of a man, it passes through waterless places in search of a resting-place and finds none. 44 Then it says, ‘I will go back to my house from which I moved,’ and on arriving, it finds the house unoccupied but swept clean and adorned. 45 Then it goes and takes along with it seven different spirits more wicked than itself, and after getting inside, they dwell there; and the final circumstances of that man become worse than the first. That is how it will be also with this wicked generation.” (Matthew 12:43-45)

Saul had God's spirit as King of Israel, but when his ego got the better of him and he became presumptuous, God withdrew his spirit. When God's spirit left him, it either created a vacancy for an evil spirit to enter (and we see from Saul's behavior that he sank further and further into despair because this evil spirit terrorized him)...or maybe Saul suffered from a severe form of mental illness. Jehovah did not prevent this from happening. In either event, it was Saul's own behavior that caused him to lose God's spirit in the first place. A young David was summoned to play the harp for him to sooth his troubled mind. (1 Samuel 16:23)

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Why did God send an evil spirit to Saul?
When we begin to sin, God reaches out to us through our conscience. As we sin and sin and sin, he continues to reach out, but his voice becomes more distant to us as our actions begin to become habitual. There comes a point when God says, "No more." Not only does he withdraw his help from us, he will even give us over to sin.

Consider for instance the case of Pharaoh in the Exodus. At first Pharaoh hardens his own heart. It is during this period of time that God is still working on him. But there is a point in the story where this changes -- it says the GOD hardened Pharaoh's heart. In other words, not only does God write Pharaoh off, but goes even further. This is the point where sin becomes so habitual, that, although repentance is possible, it is extremely difficult, almost impossible.