• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Saul and the witch of endor

Tzephanyahu

Hi @nPeace

I’ve had a look through your posts, points, arguments and questions and it seems that ultimately the root of different views hinge on the perspective of the books outside of the Canon.

I can fully understand and appreciate why you are cautious of the books outside the Canon. There is nothing wrong about staying within the Canon.

Now, as I’ve been through these debates a number of times, I’ve seen what a waste of time it is. Me trying to convince you that 2 Esdras is inspired is no different that you trying to convince an atheist that Matthew is inspired. If you don’t see it, you don’t see it. Such matters must come by revelation of the Spirit and not by the endless debates of men. You may think that it isn’t a revelation of the Spirit but rather a deception by the enemy. But to me this is no different than an atheist believing that Christians are deceived by Scripture which they can class as deceptive.

The conversation has changed from Endor, to Sheol, to now books outside the Canon. Therefore, to avoid derailing the thread further and because I won’t be able to convince you on this matter and you won’t be able to convince me, I think it’s wise to stop there to save our time and efforts.

Peace

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hi @nPeace

I’ve had a look through your posts, points, arguments and questions and it seems that ultimately the root of different views hinge on the perspective of the books outside of the Canon.

I can fully understand and appreciate why you are cautious of the books outside the Canon. There is nothing wrong about staying within the Canon.

Now, as I’ve been through these debates a number of times, I’ve seen what a waste of time it is. Me trying to convince you that 2 Esdras is inspired is no different that you trying to convince an atheist that Matthew is inspired. If you don’t see it, you don’t see it. Such matters must come by revelation of the Spirit and not by the endless debates of men. You may think that it isn’t a revelation of the Spirit but rather a deception by the enemy. But to me this is no different than an atheist believing that Christians are deceived by Scripture which they can class as deceptive.

The conversation has changed from Endor, to Sheol, to now books outside the Canon. Therefore, to avoid derailing the thread further and because I won’t be able to convince you on this matter and you won’t be able to convince me, I think it’s wise to stop there to save our time and efforts.

Peace
I can understand you not wanting to get into the debate about the books here. That's why I created a separate thread on that, but why don't you want to discuss the soul anymore?
Is it because the scriptures, I reference show clearly that the soul cannot be conscious, think, or be aware, therefore ruling out any notion to the idea that "Samuel soul" communicated with anyone?
I have found that people have a hard time explaining or reconciling those scriptures with their beliefs.

I must say, it's disappointing that you would end the conversation, after asking questions on the subject, after receiving an answer that questions your belief.

Tzephanyahu

why don't you want to discuss the soul anymore?
Is it because the scriptures, I reference show clearly that the soul cannot be conscious, think, or be aware, therefore ruling out any notion to the idea that "Samuel soul" communicated with anyone?

As you see it. You seem certain in your view, based upon the Scriptures you provided. Therefore, I see no need to discuss it further. You have the answers you need.

I must say, it's disappointing that you would end the conversation, after asking questions on the subject, after receiving an answer that questions your belief.

Yes, I can see that. Sorry to disappoint you.

Peace

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I believe that the witch did raise Samuel from Sheol. The Scripture confirms it plainly and if it were an unclean spirit it would have said so and wouldn't have prophesied the truth.
It doesn't says that Samuel was raised from the dead. An alternative to a resurrection is time travel. I know it doesn't immediately occur, but what's easier time travel or resurrecting someone.

nPeace

Veteran Member
@Frank Goad have you learned anything here?
I hope you can see that there are verses in the Bible that shows clearly that the soul dies, and cannot communicate with anyone. Nor feel pain, etc.

To believe that, evidently, one would have to dismiss scripture in the Bible, and accept what other books which are not part of inspired scripture, says.

So it's basically a choice, isn't it. We either accept the Bible - that is, the one God has made available to the entire world, in thousands of languages. Or we accept books held by a church that all evidence indicates apostasized from the followings of Christ.
It thus comes down to our choose.

So I hope your question has been clearly answered, so that hopefully you would not see the need to raise it again.
Samuel died. He went to the grave, a place of inactivity, where he could do nothing, think nothing, nor feel nothing.
His spirit returned to God, who gave it.
That's what the Bible teaches.

It also teaches that spirits - not of the dead, but angelic beings communicate through mediums.
The witch was a medium.
God condemns this... as you are aware.
Deuteronomy 18:10-12
English Standard Version

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer 11 or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, 12 for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord. And because of these abominations the Lord your God is driving them out before you.