• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about prayer

Jake S

Of course their is free will. God deciding to answer a prayer, or not, is about His free will, not yours.

No, everything that occurs is not for a reason. When an airliner falls out of the sky and kills 200 people, God hasn't a reason for it. He didn't do it. It most likely is not part of a great plan that He has.

I am not sure what you mean by " doesn't make sense to me as a human being " and "take action" please clarify.

First off thank you to everyone for responding. I don't want to make this seem like I'm debating whether God exists.

The main premise of my posting in the first place is to try to understand how I'm supposed to navigate in this world, while at the same time knowing common sense actions won't give me common sense results.

As a human (I'm not God) all I know is that - Action A should give me Result B.

But from what I'm hearing today on this board, it's normal to not understand why Action A gives me Result C.

That works for God but as a human it creates a difficult situation because it blurs expectations.

It means I have to re-program the way that I as a human processes things.

In other words our brains are programmed to expect this or that depending on an action.

If the playing field is a mystery (God), then how can I begin to form a strategy for my own life and free will actions?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's actually part of the point I'm making. Anyone can make themselves believe anything. I can say the wind that swept the leaf today was from God and meant something.

Nobody knows for sure. So all I have is my own thinking and faith.

At some point along the way there has to be a sign that is more obvious than others. Knowing how to listen to the 'spirit' if you will.

I don't know if obvious is the best answer. I've had answers that were very subtle and only by being quieter than usual did I know. And sometimes it's only after the fact that I realize I've gotten a message and followed it.

So I really agree with you when you wrote "knowing how to listen".

It's what makes life so much fun. If it were easy, where would there be a sense of accomplishment? When something is hard and you succeed, there's a strong sense of joy.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It means I have to re-program the way that I as a human processes things.

That is often called "following the spiritual path". The guideposts can be things like kindness, service, generosity and so forth.

If these are your goal, to me you are heading in the right direction no matter the details.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I have no idea where to put this question but here goes....

I've been praying for years without any answers that I as a human being would recognize.

My question is simply, if only God knows the logic about how prayer and answering prayer works, how can we begin to position ourselves in this life?

I always get a response like "He is answering your prayers but in mysterious ways".

But what good is that if only God knows the mystery?

No matter what I question there is always an answer from someone in the Church. One pet peeve of mine is someone never admitting that something might not happen.

It is 100% possible for someone to pray and pray and pray, and see no HUMAN answers to the prayers.

Yet the response from someone in the church is "It's just in God's timing".

I wish they would say "You know what, you'right. You may never see an answer".
Are you praying in doubt? (James 1:5-8)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

I've been praying for years without any answers that I as a human being would recognize.

My question is simply, if only God knows the logic about how prayer and answering prayer works, how can we begin to position ourselves in this life?

I always get a response like "He is answering your prayers but in mysterious ways".

No matter what I question there is always an answer from someone in the Church. One pet peeve of mine is someone never admitting that something might not happen.

It is 100% possible for someone to pray and pray and pray, and see no HUMAN answers to the prayers.

I don't know, but, praying for answers Isn't that divination or something. Seems like that would be a problem...

Jake S

Are you praying in doubt? (James 1:5-8)

Yes because I've been burned my whole life. Even though I am blessed I am getting burned by everyone I come across.

I also don't agree with the man made version of our society. Meaning I would have been a better fit for maybe a different time period.

Not only am I facing God's mysterious ways, I'm dealing with a society who values results versus the process.

So I do think I pray in doubt. I'm very black and white. I simply ask God to show me the direction to take for someone who is black and white minded.

But the more I pray the less I know what direction to take.

The one thing I'm not going to do is just start trying things for the purpose of getting something to stick. I would rather do nothing for the rest of my life than waste my time trying everything only for none of those things to work out.

I know I sound like I know it all. But as I mentioned I've been burned by everyone. So I no longer believe anyone or anything. That's just the reality.

I believe God exists simply because when I look outside I don't believe what I see is random or just evolution.

Jake S

I don't know, but, praying for answers Isn't that divination or something. Seems like that would be a problem...

God controls everything though. So I have no choice but to pray for answers. As others have said above he works in mysterious ways. So I'm asking the person in prayer then what to do.

One thing is for sure. No one in the history of mankind has been able to definitively say what part of life is free will and what part is God's plan.

How do I know something is random versus it being God?

If he knows the recipe card, and I don't, well then no wonder I pray to him. He knows what to do.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes because I've been burned my whole life. Even though I am blessed I am getting burned by everyone I come across.

I also don't agree with the man made version of our society. Meaning I would have been a better fit for maybe a different time period.

Not only am I facing God's mysterious ways, I'm dealing with a society who values results versus the process.

So I do think I pray in doubt. I'm very black and white. I simply ask God to show me the direction to take for someone who is black and white minded.

The one thing I'm not going to do is just start trying things for the purpose of getting something to stick. I would rather do nothing for the rest of my life than waste my time trying everything only for none of those things to work out.

I know I sound like I know it all. But as I mentioned I've been burned by everyone. So I no longer believe anyone or anything. That's just the reality.

I believe God exists simply because when I look outside I don't believe what I see is random or just evolution.
I understand.
It's a cruel world (referring to the world of mankind), so very few people have escaped being burned.
However, being burned has a positive effect. It shapes your character. It can be in a positive way, because you experience what others go through.
Of the son of God, the Bible says, he learned from his suffering. (Hebrews 5:8, 9) ...which gave him an advanced.
So try to think of your bad experiences in a positive way - turn the negative to a positive.

I'm glad to see you took note of evidence for God. (Romans 1:20)
Sometimes it's easy to doubt, especially when you have been burnt. Sometimes you don't know whom you can trust.

Sometimes people doubt that God cares for them, but yet we can see around us, what Jesus said... (Matthew 6:26) So it may just require us to look around us some more, while being patient.

Remember... Be positive. Be patient

QmU6YpUfnTJ4HqRVT4PKkPeNbgBmeFLJhXXYEhxDxZ85TX

Never give up. God has not given up on you. (1 John 3:19-23)

Jake S

That is often called "following the spiritual path". The guideposts can be things like kindness, service, generosity and so forth.

If these are your goal, to me you are heading in the right direction no matter the details.

Slowly but surely I'm coming around
I understand.
It's a cruel world (referring to the world of mankind), so very few people have escaped being burned.
However, being burned has a positive effect. It shapes your character. It can be in a positive way, because you experience what others go through.
Of the son of God, the Bible says, he learned from his suffering. (Hebrews 5:8, 9) ...which gave him an advanced.
So try to think of your bad experiences in a positive way - turn the negative to a positive.

I'm glad to see you took note of evidence for God. (Romans 1:20)
Sometimes it's easy to doubt, especially when you have been burnt. Sometimes you don't know whom you can trust.

Sometimes people doubt that God cares for them, but yet we can see around us, what Jesus said... (Matthew 6:26) So it may just require us to look around us some more, while being patient.

Remember... Be positive. Be patient

QmU6YpUfnTJ4HqRVT4PKkPeNbgBmeFLJhXXYEhxDxZ85TX

Never give up. God has not given up on you. (1 John 3:19-23)

Thank you!

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Could prayer be a psychological valve that provides an imagined but useful sympathetic ear to the believer's wishes?

If there's a God, could the evidence of reality, every day, everywhere, be showing that God neither says nor does?

Or at very best, that God does, in a manner and at a rate indistinguishable from pure chance?

WalterTrull

Godfella
Well.. I believe the answer lies in the Lord's Prayer; Mark 11:24: "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." ; and reality being mental "Our father who art in heaven..."

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

I am diagnosed paranoid schizophrenia and, prayer is out of the question.

But I will tell you what I've learned from experience.

What we are observing to do is part of how successful at living life and pleasing God we are being.

I still raise my thoughts to my God.

anna.

but mostly it's the same

There's no satisfaction, they have a win-win:

If you receive what you prayed for, then God had mercy on you and/or blessed you. If you didn't receive what you prayed for, then God 'knows best what you need' or 'in God's due time,' or some variation on the theme.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Do you understand who is responsible for this? The Bible gives us clear indications about where our suffering and disappointments come from, and why we find it hard to trust when that trust has been betrayed. We have a common enemy who has challenged God concerning each one of us. If you know the account of Job in the Bible, you will see what God's enemy has said concerning those who want to do the right thing by God....

Job 1:8-12
"And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad.” 9 At that Satan answered Jehovah: “Is it for nothing that Job has feared God? 10 Have you not put up a protective hedge around him and his house and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his livestock has spread out in the land. 11 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your very face.” 12 Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Look! Everything that he has is in your hand. Only do not lay your hand on the man himself!” So Satan went out from the presence of Jehovah."

Satan's challenge was that if God was to stop blessing Job, that he would lose faith and curse God.....even if he lost his precious children and all his material possessions....was he right? NO! Job proved that his cherished children and his material assets were not the reason for his faith.

So satan struck again....:mad:

Job 2:3-8...
"And Jehovah said to Satan: “Have you taken note of my servant Job? There is no one like him on the earth. He is an upright man of integrity, fearing God and shunning what is bad. He is still holding firmly to his integrity, even though you try to incite me against him to destroy him for no reason.” 4 But Satan answered Jehovah: “Skin for skin. A man will give everything that he has for his life. 5 But, for a change, stretch out your hand and strike his bone and flesh, and he will surely curse you to your very face.

6 Then Jehovah said to Satan: “Look! He is in your hand! Only do not take his life!” 7 So Satan went out from the presence of Jehovah and struck Job with painful boils from the sole of his foot to the crown of his head. 8 And Job took a piece of broken pottery to scrape himself, and he was sitting among the ashes."

Did you notice that satan's challenge was not just to Job, but to "man" in general? Job represents all who wish to keep their integrity to God despite all the trials and tribulations and disappointments of this life.

Was Job depending on his health and well being to love and serve his God? NO! Even when his wife told him to "curse God and die"...he attributed nothing bad to his God....and this, even though he was not aware of the challenge taking place behind the scenes in the spirit realm.

Now as if Job wasn't down enough, three so-called comforters approached Job, but sat silently watching his suffering for a whole week.

"Three companions of Job heard about all the calamities that had come upon him, and each came from his own place—Elʹi·phaz the Teʹman·ite, Bilʹdad the Shuʹhite, and Zoʹphar the Naʹa·ma·thite. So they agreed to meet together to go and sympathize with Job and comfort him. 12 When they saw him from a distance, they did not recognize him. They began to weep loudly and to rip their garments apart, and they threw dust into the air and onto their heads. 13 Then they sat on the ground with him for seven days and seven nights. No one said a word to him, for they saw that his pain was very great."

In his pain and anguish Job lamented the day that he had been born.....but he did not sin by blaming God for his troubles.

For all intents and purposes, these three had come to comfort Job, but actually Satan used them in an effort to undermine Job’s integrity. Just as political interrogators posing as friends have undermined the loyalties of prisoners and turned them against their own governments, satan hoped that his “comforters” would turn Job against his God. (Job 16:2-3)

Yet we have an assurance in the scriptures...1 Corinthians 10:13...
"No temptation has come upon you except what is common to men. But God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but along with the temptation he will also make the way out so that you may be able to endure it."

There is no trial that God will permit to one of his own, unless he first knows what we can bear. Job's case was extreme, but God knew that he had it in him to stand up to the challenge....and that his example would strengthen generations to come. We are all Job to a greater or lesser degree. So what answer are we giving back to God if life is not going well for us? Are our sufferings happening because God doesn't love us...or is giving all of us an opportunity to demonstrate that, no matter what the devil throws at us, we will not lose faith in our God? (Romans 8:35-39)

As for Job, he was blessed with more than he lost and died in his old age as a faithful and satisfied man. (Job 42:12-17)

So many people are adopting retro things now...trying to go back in time to when things were nicer, more stable and trust was the norm.....when 'dog eat dog' was not so obvious. We are all 'better fit' for what God started in the beginning....life in peace and security with everlasting life in paradise, as it was meant to be. God promises to take us back there. (Revelation 21:2-4)

I don't believe God's ways are mysterious at all. That is just a cop out for people who have no answers IMO.

God knows those whose hearts are searching for him.....but sometimes we sabotage his direction by rejecting the messenger instead of listening to the message...isn't this what happened in Noah's day? Jesus said it would be the same now, in this "time of the end". (Matthew 24:37-39)

I understand what you mean...but don't let that disappointment blind you to the direction that God may give you.

Do you really know God? Have you been taught the truth about him? Do you want to know him? Or do you want him to fit into the box that other people have made for him? I had to jump out of that box to find the true God....he exists and he has a purpose for us, not individually but collectively.....we are given opportunity to fit in with his plans, or to to reject his offer of our own free will.

What do you think?

There is one truth....and only one way to worship God acceptably......Christendom does not have a clue as to how to know the true God because they have sealed the box, basing their beliefs on thousands of years of misinformation. They are not keeping God in......but keeping themselves out. :(

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that Interfaith Discussion has worked well for your question, however here is a little extra information about where to start threads:

The forum outline ( Forums ) is more detailed than the main page which shows featured threads.

Which section will narrow replies down to the answers you want? Its down to whether you want to debate or gather ideas without debate. It also comes down to whether you want to get information about a specific religious group or get ideas from a specific group. Sometimes you may have a question which is controversial, so this might matter more.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Fair enough. I am trying to be more specific with my prayers. And nearly all of my prayers are really just requests to give me a hint of a direction.

I think that's a really fair prayer, and one of my more common ones. I term it praying for clarity. In my tradition, we're also taught to watch for signs after, but not immediately. Mystically it takes 3 days for the devas to receive prayers, but it could well take longer for them to get back to you. Specific as possible really helps, in my view. Right down to addresses of the people that may be in your prayers. (as in applying for a specific job, for example)

Just a thought here, but maybe you're not recognising the signs?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Do you really want "God" to talk to you?
Easy to say, but what are you willing to do?

I can only share my opinion, what worked for me. You have to find your own way.

I wanted to get an engineer degree, searched for a good teacher, and was willing to study 5 years. Did it, and got my degree.

Then I wanted to know about "God", Spirituality. Again, I needed a good teacher. So I went to India, with open mind, no plan. And was guided to what is now my Master.

Being there, I decided "Engineering took me 5 years; so I should minimal take 5 years, probably 10 years for Spiritual life"

I was willing to stay as long as needed to get what I want. Took me 10 years.

My whole premise
Premise is mental game. I quit that long ago. Spirituality is heart work. I love that.

If you see a beautiful girl, you walk up to her, and start talking about "my premise is that you..."? Or do you speak from the heart?

Spirituality has everything to do with Love.
Mental games will be obstructions.

Welcome to this forum, and I wish you all the best, finding what you search for. Others can give hints, but the answer lies within IMHO.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
God controls everything though. So I have no choice but to pray for answers. As others have said above he works in mysterious ways. So I'm asking the person in prayer then what to do.

One thing is for sure. No one in the history of mankind has been able to definitively say what part of life is free will and what part is God's plan.

How do I know something is random versus it being God?

If he knows the recipe card, and I don't, well then no wonder I pray to him. He knows what to do.
I've been thinking about your questions, and I've read several other replies which seem to be picking up on the same issue that I was concerned about in my original reply.

It seems like your expectation of results is too specific. Expecting "Answers" or instructions of "What to do" is way too specific.

At this point it's important to note: You and I come from very different backgrounds. And my version of prayer doesn't necessarily match up with your version of prayer.

That said. If I was struggling and I wanted to go the prayer route, here's how I would do it.

First I would expand the prayer to include a few different abstract elements. I would ask for wisdom, not answers. In addition to that I would ask for strength, and increased faith to cope with this difficult time. I would end the prayer with an affirmation of hope and renewed commitment to G-d.

But I wouldn't stop there, I would also contemplate on biblical stories which speak about wisdom, strength and faith in the face of adversity. I would make a commitment to give a small amount of money to charity, even a few dollars... any *little* thing works. And I would spend extra time reading the psalms of David before bed.

It's like spaghetti on the wall. :eek::D

But that's me. I think you would benefit a lot from only adjusting the expectation of the prayer because it's very narrow in my opinion.

But also, are you doing other things that may support your prayers and yourself?

--------------- changing subject to free will ----------------------

That's a big topic, and it goes into the efficacy of prayer. Maybe we should table that for the short time? But it's a fun topic. Maybe later?

Last edited:

Neuropteron

It is knowledge of God's and of his purpose that affect if prayers are heard and answered. For instance who is the prayer addressed to? Some pray to Mary, Jesus

It is knowledge of God's and of his purpose that affect if prayers are heard and answered. For instance who is the prayer addressed to? Some pray to Mary, Allah, Jesus, some Hindu God or some Saint, the list is endless. To pray to false Gods or idols is exposed as futility in the Bible, and so is praying without faith or asking for things that are out of harmony with God's purpose.

For instance Jesus taught us how to pray and who to pray to in an acceptable fashion, he also stated that no one comes to the father except through him.

Additionally those who disregard God's law or his word cannot expect a fovorable hearing.
Nobody of course is perfect but a person that does his best to approch God in harmony with his requirements will be heard by him.

All of these things and much more are clearly outllined in his word
"Let us approach with sincere hearts and complete faith" (Heb 10:22)

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

I'll let you in on a secret. A mystery if you will. But you will probably be unable to understand this, as the Bible itself says that people's minds are clouded to the truth of this world.

Let's start by saying that most "Christians" are actually closer to being Jews. They are concerned with working hard to prove themselves, to try to earn their way into Heaven.

You can't earn your way into Heaven, and in fact I'm not sure anyone wants this, including the people doing it. In fact, this is a recipe to be miserable. I'm convinced either there are a group of half-baked Christians and very few real Churches, or more shockingly that most Christians are trolling new believers, making them learn the hard way why this is a stupid way to live. For the sake of understanding, let's mark such places as churches (lowercase) and those who teach the real gospel Churches.

You see, not only the church and the Jewish faith push this sort of moral perfectionism, but the secular world to a large extent. "Are you studying hard enough? Do you make enough? Do you look good enough?" This is the lesson of the secular world. The church and the Jews just make it "Are you good enough?"

But this is not the lesson of the Church.

Christ Has Redeemed Us

10All who rely on works of the law are under a curse. For it is written: “Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law.”c 11And it is clear that no one is justified before God by the law, because, “The righteous will live by faith.”d 12The law, however, is not based on faith; on the contrary, “The man who does these things will live by them.”e 13Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us. For it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.”f 14He redeemed us in order that the blessing promised to Abrahamg would come to the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit.

The Purpose of the Law

15Brothers, let me put this in human terms. Even a human covenant, once it is ratified, cannot be canceled or amended. 16The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say, “and to seeds,” meaning many, but “and to your seed,”h meaning One, who is Christ. 17What I mean is this: The law that came 430 years later does not revoke the covenant previously established by God, so as to cancel the promise. 18For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God freely granted it to Abraham through a promise. 19Why then was the law given? It was added because of transgressions, until the arrival of the seed to whom the promise referred. It was administered through angels by a mediator. 20A mediator is unnecessary, however, if there is only one party; but God is one. 21Is the law, then, opposed to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could impart life, then righteousness would certainly have come from the law. 22But the Scripture pronounces all things confined by sin, so that by faith in Jesus Christ the promise might be given to those who believe. 23Before this faith came, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law became our guardian to lead us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

Read that again. While we are not to be completely immoral, the purpose of the Law is to lead us to a personal relationship with Christ. It does this by showing how we have sinned, how we have failed, how we cannot live up to ten commandments, much less 613 in the Hebrew Law.

In fact, we are told in no uncertain terms that the model of doing good works to earn Heaven, or being punished eternally in Hell is wrong (and the actual meaning of Heaven and Hell in the first place, as not a Good Place, but rather to have grace and a personal connection with Jesus).

33 Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. 34 Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.

35 Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? 36 (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.) 37 No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.

38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.

We are not held on a balance like the Egyptians, we are Christ's. We are made for a personal relationship with Christ. But what does this mean?

Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it.

For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

The spirit of God is in you, and those you know. Yes, even Uncle Bill who drinks and smokes and seems to have nothing to do with God. This also means that if you want to pray with God, you don't need to find an isolated room somewhere and get on your hands and knees. Talk about your problems with your friends. Jesus will always have a way to talk to you. Not in mysterious ways, not in his own time, but today, now, here. God is wanting to talk to you.