• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about paul and his death that has me confused.Need help from jehovah's witnesses

Frank Goad

In 2 Timothy 4:8 paul says the lord will give him a crown of righteousness at that day.

I think that day was after he died

Because It says in 2 Timothy 4:6 paul thought he was departing.Like in Philippines 1:19-26.

Also it says in Ecclesiastes 12:7.That after a person dies their spirit goes right to God.

I am confused.Because I thought when you die you are fully out of existence.Like in Ecclesiastes 9:5.:(

Last edited:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
In 2 Timothy 4:8 paul says the lord will give him a crown of righteousness at that day.
As one of God's anointed, (with the "heavenly calling". Hebrews 3:1) Paul expected to receive his crown along with all the other anointed Heavenly rulers. At that time no one knew when Christ would return to take them "home" to where he had prepared a place for them.

Paul himself knew that all would "sleep in death" until Christ returned to take them to heaven. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-16)

Because It says in 2 Timothy 4:6 paul thought he was departing. Like in Philippines 1:19-26.

He was speaking about his death....which he knew many a release from his sinful flesh.

He said...
"I am torn between these two things, for I do desire the releasing and the being with Christ, which is, to be sure, far better. 24 However, it is more necessary for me to remain in the flesh for your sakes. 25 So, being confident of this, I know I will remain and continue with all of you for your advancement and your joy in the faith".

With their anointing comes an inordinate desire to leave their fleshly body and be given a new spiritual body. Flesh and blood cannot exist in heaven, so a bodily transformation is necessary. Paul longed for that time, but was to stay in the flesh to be of service to his brothers.

Also it says in Ecclesiastes 12:7.That after a person dies their spirit goes right to God.

Their spirit is their breath. Adam was made alive by the "breath (spirit) of life". Once the spirit (breath) goes out of a person, only God can restore that spirit (breath) in a new resurrected body. Their breath (future life) is now in God's hands.

David realised this when he said...
4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground;
On that very day his thoughts perish."
(Psalm 146:4)

I am confused.Because I thought when you die you are fully out of existence.Like in Ecclesiastes 9:5.:(

You die physically, but you live in God's memory. He remembers every single one of us, so that our resurrection is assured.
There is nothing in Paul's words that indicate otherwise when you understand what he believed about his own future and that of others with the heavenly calling.

There are two resurrections....the "first" is for the anointed who will go to heaven, (Revelation 20:6) and the second is for those who will live forever on earth. (John 5:28-29 ; Revelation 21:2-4)

rocala

I have never come across this particular argument before. I have always assumed his existence was a historical fact. Please elaborate.

Please note that I am not a Christian or hooked on any opiate. Cider yes but that is another story.

Bob Jones

Prove It!
First it is alleged that Paul was a Roman Citizen. If in fact he was executed there would of been a death warrant signed by either the Emperor or his governor. There are no documents supporting the issuance of a death warrant. It would of been a public execution with many witnesses. Someone else would of reported it. (2)Justin Martyr a devote early Christian wrote voluminously about the early Christians never mentions Paul´s name or either his Epistles. (3) ACTS "In my former book,Theophilus" Theophilus ,according to the Catholic Encyclopedia was the Bishop of Antioch from 169 to 177 CE. SO there is an almost two hundred year gap in Luke and his reporting of a Paul..which no one seems to have ever met. Paul claims to be an apostle, but Jesus was dead many years before( he never existed either) (4) Pope Clement 1 fourth from Peter, never quoted any knowledge of these gospels..
There is plenty more evidence,but I have not the time to write so much. The simple minded are told to believe when in fact it is another priestly myth.

LightofTruth

Because It says in 2 Timothy 4:6 paul thought he was departing.Like in Philippines 1:19-26.

Look up the phrase "at his coming".
hope that helps.

Audie

Veteran Member

Asking only JWs is like asking a commie about Mao.

IF you actually want to get some insight into this "Paul",
I can walk you through the snake story and
show you it is as fake as one of those letters from a Nigerian
oil minister who wants to use your bank account.