1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about parapsychology and christianity

Discussion in 'Paranormal Activities' started by Frank Goad, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Frank Goad

Frank Goad Active Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Religion:
    methodist
    Do christians ever get involved with parapsychology?
    If they went into parapsychology with jesus in mind what do you think they could prove?As i see it would be like fox mulder from the x-files(If he was a parapsychologist).Using top notch science(Think CIA) to prove everything he sees and remembering to keep jesus first about his conclusions.

Sorry if i already posted this before.

2. AT-AT

AT-AT Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,560
    Religion:
    God
    Parapsychology and Christianity may be compatible by some stretch of the imagination, but in my opinion... best not to combine what amounts to deep "Spiritualism" with Christianity. The two aren't compatible in every regard I don't think.

3. Erebus

Erebus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,398
    Religion:
    Pagan
    It's certainly possible to be a Christian and a parapsychologist but it's perhaps not the most comfortable mix.

If you attempted to pursue parapsychology with anything approaching scientific rigour, you wouldn't be able to start with the premise, "Jesus comes first." You would need to put your personal beliefs to one side and conduct your research in as unbiased a manner as possible. A big part of the reason why parapsychology tends to get looked down on is because researchers very often fail to adhere to best practices.

So it wouldn't be a good idea to let your faith get in the way of your research. The flip side to this is that many forms of Christianity take a dim view on studying, engaging with or even expressing undue interest in many of the areas parapsychology concerns itself with. The severity and scope naturally varies between denominations. Some may be fine with psychics but not with ghosts or vice versa. Depending on your church and community's stance on the topic, you could well risk becoming an outsider.

Not everybody will struggle with those complications. Others will find their focus has to be on one or the other.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. The Reverend Bob

The Reverend Bob Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,385
    Religion:
    God Killer
    Ed and Lorraine Warren, alleged con-artists but they were both Catholics involved with parapsychology

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,028
    Religion:
    Christian
    I don't know, but I have always loved a good mystery, and the x files defined the nineties for me.

6. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +649
    Religion:
    Christian

The concern is that parapsychology could be a thinly veiled form of demonic manipulation.

Yes God can use dreams, but if something supernatural doesn't glorify God or point to Jesus I would be very suspicious of it.