• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about oxygen levels

We Never Know

No Slack
At the top of Mount Everest, over 29,000 feet there is only ⅓ of the oxygen available there as there is at sea level.

If the normal sea level rose by 20,000 feet and the new sea level is 20,000 feet higher than what it is now, what would happen to the oxygen level?

Would the oxygen levels be increased at higher altitudes due to the higher sea level?

Last edited:

Tiberius

At the top of Mount Everest, over 29,000 feet there is only ⅓ of the oxygen available there as there is at sea level.

If the normal sea level rose by 20,000 feet and the new sea level is 20,000 feet higher than what it is now, what would happen to the oxygen level?

Would the oxygen levels be pushed up by the new sea level?

The atmosphere exists ABOVE the sea level. If the sea levels rose by 20,000 feet, then the atmosphere will be pushed up as well.

We Never Know

No Slack
Why would it? It would be much the same as it is today, just shifted up 20,000 feet. In either case, if I am in a boat on the sea, I'm still going to have roughly the same amount of atmosphere pushing down on me.

First off I don't believe in Noah's flood. With that said I have seen arguments stating if Noah's flood happened, the pressure would be to great and the oxygen would be to thin for them to survive if all of earth was covered with water.

By your thought and opinions, are those true statements?

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Why would it? It would be much the same as it is today, just shifted up 20,000 feet. In either case, if I am in a boat on the sea, I'm still going to have roughly the same amount of atmosphere pushing down on me.

Would the extra mass of 20,000 ft of water increase gravity?

Tiberius

First off I don't believe in Noah's flood. With that said I have seen arguments stating if Noah's flood happened, the pressure would be to great and the oxygen would be to thin for them to survive if all of earth was covered with water.

Like you I also do not believe that Noah's flood was a real event.

But if it were to happen, then raising the sea level 20K feet would not result in an increase in air pressure. For the air pressure to increase, there would need to be some container that would limit the amount of space that the atmosphere had available. But there is not. There is no ceiling or barrier. The atmosphere would just shift everything 20K feet higher and it would stay the same pressure.

Tiberius

Would the extra mass of 20,000 ft of water increase gravity?

Technically yes (if we assume that it came from nothing), but only by the tiniest amount.

If we assume that the earth is a sphere with a diameter of 12,742 km (I know it's not a perfect sphere, but this will be close enough to illustrate the point), it has a volume of 1.08×10^12 cubic kilometers. If we put a layer of water 20,000 feet deep over this, the diameter increased to 12,783 kilometers, and a volume of 1.09×10^12 cubic kilometers. It's a difference of about 1%.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Technically yes (if we assume that it came from nothing), but only by the tiniest amount.

If we assume that the earth is a sphere with a diameter of 12,742 km (I know it's not a perfect sphere, but this will be close enough to illustrate the point), it has a volume of 1.08×10^12 cubic kilometers. If we put a layer of water 20,000 feet deep over this, the diameter increased to 12,783 kilometers, and a volume of 1.09×10^12 cubic kilometers. It's a difference of about 1%.

Thanks, I tried looking it up but the maths involved did my brain in.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Some people do get the reasoning wrong that pressure goes down when one goes above sea level. For all practical purposes if sea level rises then one would measure from the new sea level. Denver would be almost at sea level and have roughly the same pressure as we measure at sea level today. (It would be very slightly lower, but let's ignore that for now)

Air pressure is due to the mass of the air above you. When you go up from sea level there is a lot of air below you and you are not pushing back against that any longer.

Now why the air pressure would be so much higher for the Noah's Ark myth is due to all of the water that some believe would be in the atmosphere. That water would have mass and it would press down on you just as water does today. All of that water in the air would not get a free ride. It would raise the air pressure. A lot. That is why they often try to have a "canopy" above the Earth, but that introduces a whole new set of problems.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I groan when someone trying to refute the flood talks about air pressure going down. That only shows that they do not understand air pressure. Just as much air (almost) is above them if you raise the sea level 20,000 feet.

We Never Know

No Slack
Some people do get the reasoning wrong that pressure goes down when one goes above sea level. For all practical purposes if sea level rises then one would measure from the new sea level. Denver would be almost at sea level and have roughly the same pressure as we measure at sea level today. (It would be very slightly lower, but let's ignore that for now)

Air pressure is due to the mass of the air above you. When you go up from sea level there is a lot of air below you and you are not pushing back against that any longer.

Now why the air pressure would be so much higher for the Noah's Ark myth is due to all of the water that some believe would be in the atmosphere. That water would have mass and it would press down on you just as water does today. All of that water in the air would not get a free ride. It would raise the air pressure. A lot. That is why they often try to have a "canopy" above the Earth, but that introduces a whole new set of problems.

What are you talking about?
If Noah's flooded happed, the water causing the flood would have came from both below and above.
As the sea level rose, the upper pressure would be less to my understanding.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What are you talking about?
If Noah's flooded happed, the water causing the flood would have came from both below and above.
As the sea level rose, the upper pressure would be less to my understanding.
I do not exactly understand what you are saying here.

Air pressure is due to the mass of air above you. That is all.

We Never Know

No Slack
Because he was refuting the lower pressure argument. I understood it. I am surprised that you did not. He agrees with what I said.

Oh I did. Nice of you to say I didn't.

But let me guess, your next post will be telling me how in your opinion I'm wrong, how I misunderstood the post, and you will teach me about my errors only if I admit I am wrong. Lmmfo

Read it again...
The atmosphere exists ABOVE the sea level. If the sea levels rose by 20,000 feet, then the atmosphere will be pushed up as well.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
At the end of the last Ice Age, the mountains were covered with water in the form of large glacial lakes caused by melting glaciers. (Lake Missoula is the one that was in my area of the earth. When the ice dam floodgates were breached, it let loose a deluge that left huge scars over vast areas of land that can be seen today.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh I did. Nice of you to say I didn't.

But let me guess, your next post will be telling me how in your opinion I'm wrong, how I misunderstood the post, and you will teach me about my errors only if I admit I am wrong. Lmmfo

Read it again...
He still agrees with me.

It is rather clear that you did not understand it otherwise you would not have asked the questions that you did.