• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about jesus.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that back then people had different (lower) standards of personal hygine and cleanliness
I think today, people, especially in the United States, have a neurotic and obsessive sense of personal hygiene and cleanliness. Marketing and Advertising needs us that way to sell us unnecessary products. :)

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I think today, people, especially in the United States, have a neurotic and obsessive sense of personal hygiene and cleanliness. Marketing and Advertising needs us that way to sell us unnecessary products. :)
Be that as it may, I think that if Jesus were to return to Earth whilst maintaining his old standards of personal hygiene then he would probably reek of body odour and filth

I hope that he takes a shower and has a change of clothes before his second coming

Edit: and perhaps apply some deodorant or antiperspirant?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

And prolong life...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Be that as it may, I think that if Jesus were to return to Earth whilst maintaining his old standards of personal hygiene then he would probably reek of body odour and filth
No more than anyone else who doesn't obsessively take showers or baths fully every single day. I have no doubt they cleaned their bodies the same as any human has without all these modern products and home plumbing conveniences we do today. In other words, he'd fit right in with normal, like anyone not living in a 1st world country.

I hope that he takes a shower and has a change of clothes before his second coming

Edit: and perhaps apply some deodorant or antiperspirant?
Do you think they need showers in heaven? :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If Jesus lived in poverty.How did he wash his clothes?Or take baths or showers?:confused:
The latter two were very much rarities back then, but washing in streams, rivers, and lakes was common. If one took a "bath", they'd jump in as well.

BTW, the fishermen likely went naked when hauling in their nets because getting one's robes wet would take a long time to dry even if they "girded" them since wool was most often used to make them.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why did you hold the position that he lived in poverty?
Because there's no reference to his house and car? :D

Seriously, I think it's quite logical based on what he is reported to say that he was very much a "minimalist". If he wasn't, then what he spoke would have come off as being quite hypocritical.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Huh? You think slathering your body with soap products and smelling constantly like a fresh spring rain makes you live longer?

It is evidenced that improved personal hygiene has doubled life expectancy in the last 200 years.

So yes, personal hygiene makes you live longer.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It is evidenced that improved personal hygiene has doubled life expectancy in the last 200 years.

So yes, personal hygiene makes you live longer.
Not quite. You said "personal hygiene". That is not what they are saying:

Over the last 200 years, U.S. life expectancy has more than doubled to almost 80 years (78.8 in 2015), with vast improvements in health and quality of life. However, while most people imagine medical advancements to be the reason for this increase, the largest gain in life expectancy occurred between 1880 and 1920 due to public health improvements such as control of infectious diseases, more abundant and safer foods, cleaner water, and other nonmedical social improvements.​

I do not see "personal hygiene" listed there. Healthier environments, yes. No doubt. But that doesn't have to do with bathing twice a day. In fact, the opposite may be true as you end up killing off good bacteria that you need, what with all our obsessive antibacterial soap products and whatnot.

Source: 200 years of public health has doubled our life expectancy - San Juan Basin Public Health

ChristineM

Premium Member
Not quite. You said "personal hygiene". That is not what they are saying:

Over the last 200 years, U.S. life expectancy has more than doubled to almost 80 years (78.8 in 2015), with vast improvements in health and quality of life. However, while most people imagine medical advancements to be the reason for this increase, the largest gain in life expectancy occurred between 1880 and 1920 due to public health improvements such as control of infectious diseases, more abundant and safer foods, cleaner water, and other nonmedical social improvements.​

I do not see "personal hygiene" listed there.

Source: 200 years of public health has doubled our life expectancy - San Juan Basin Public Health

Personal hygiene relates strongly to public health and for your information America represents just 5% of world population

Forty-four percent of improved life expectancy was attributable to public health, 35 percent was attributable to pharmaceuticals, 13 percent was attributable to other medical care, and −7 percent was attributable to other/unknown factors​
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00284

44% is close enough

See also How Personal Hygiene Extends Life Expectancy and Affects Health

Im going for a shower, what you do is up to you

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Personal hygiene relates strongly to public health and for your information America represents just 5% of world population

Forty-four percent of improved life expectancy was attributable to public health, 35 percent was attributable to pharmaceuticals, 13 percent was attributable to other medical care, and −7 percent was attributable to other/unknown factors​
https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00284

44% is close enough

Im going for a shower, what you do is up to you
I still don't see "personal hygiene" listed in there. It lists three things: public health (sewers and sanitation and whatnot, as per the other article); pharmaceuticals (modern medicines); and other/unknown.

Can you find something that says we live longer because we obsessively bathe ourselves? Do you think shampooing your hair once a day is healthy for it, for instance? Is it good to strip the natural oils out of it, freaking the skin out to overproduce oils in order to compensate for that constant depletions of necessary healthy oil production?