• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about jesus and his baptism

74x12

If Jesus Wouldn't have received the Holy Spirit at his Baptism.Would he have beat the devil?
Not sure why you ask. According to my understanding of theology it would be impossible for Him not to receive the holy Spirit. After all He is the Messiah which means "Anointed One". Which implies there had to come a time when He was actually anointed. Since we know He was never anointed by a priest or a prophet like King David was for example. Then the anointing had to come some other way. Clearly when the Spirit descended on Him like a Dove it was God anointing Jesus Himself.

So, to me your question doesn't make sense. Jesus couldn't not be anointed.

nPeace

Veteran Member
If Jesus Wouldn't have received the Holy Spirit at his Baptism.Would he have beat the devil?
I think what you really want to know is, if Jesus did not have Holy Spirit, would he have resisted the devil and remained faithful to his father.
That's quite an interesting question.

I would say yes, based on the fact that others who did not receive holy spirit, resisted the devil, and remained faithful.

The only thing that would have been lacking, is his ability to perform powerful works, read minds, and have an extreme level of wisdom.
Other than that, I believe he would have done the same things he did, because 1) he loved his father, 2) he loved righteousness, 3) he loved God's word, in scripture. He also knew what a wicked, evil, cold-hearted, deceitful liar, his brother (angel Satan) was.

Would he have controlled his anger, and not feel like wrapping his hands around Satan's neck, and strangling the life out of him? :mad:

:innocent: Yes. For sure, because we imperfect men do, and we know it's impossible for any human to fight Satan... physically. :)

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

The reason why God chose his firstborn son to complete such an important mission is because there was no one he trusted more.

At Jesus' baptism, "the heavens were opened up" and he received the holy spirit and God's confirmation of his love and confidence in him. This may also indicate that the memory of his previous life in heaven with his God and Father was also revealed to him at that time.

He communed with his Father for 40 days after that, and no doubt received a lot of encouragement and instruction in order to face the next 3 and a half years successfully. Straight after that 40 day period in the wilderness, the devil tried his first 3 temptations.

Job is a wonderful example of a man who stood firm in his faith despite many severe tests from the devil. He had no idea who was testing him. Jesus did....and so do we.
Job was rewarded for his outstanding faith and so was Jesus....we have God's assurance that he will reward our faith as well.