• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Haman in the Quran

TG123456

Salaam Alaikum.

I was wondering if anyone here is aware of who Haman is a reference to in the Quran. I see him described in 28:6, 28:8, 28:38, 29:39, 40:24 and 40:36. I see that he is described alongside Pharaoh as a sinner, and he seems to be described as having command of the army alongside Pharaoh. There is a reference to "their soldiers" in 28:6, 28:8. Haman was also tasked with building a tower to meet the God of Moses, a tower to be made of fired clay (28:38, 40:36). He rejected Moses along with Pharaoh and Qarun (do you know who he was?) and was killed by God, as other verses he is mentioned in show.

Is there any indication in Muslim sources who this man was or what position he held?

Thanks so much.

TG123456

Hi Jayhawker Soul,

The Wikipedia article describes Haman as a high ranking official in the court of Pharaoh, whereas the article by Islamic-Awareness says "Haman" was a rank and that Haman was the high priest Babenkhon.

The problem I see with this, is that firstly, even according to Islamic-Awareness article, there was no rank simply called "hmn" or even "Imn", the priests were "hmntr". Also, priests began having political power from the time of Herihor.

We have seen that the Pharaoh was both the bodily heir of the creator and his ‘living image’ on earth. Was this aspect of royal divinity also attributed to the liturgical performer (i.e., the High Priest) at least during the performance of the rite? The answer to this question is yes. The ‘royal attributes’ of the High Priest Herihor are perhaps an elaborate development of such a notion. Herihor was the High Priest of Amun that lived in the early period of the 20th Dynasty.[196] He became so powerful that he was in effect the de facto ruler of Thebes. Assuming Pharaonic titles and dress, Herihor, the High Priest of Amun, ruled in Thebes. He was portrayed wearing the double crowns of Egypt, something which was exclusively reserved for Pharaohs. At some point in time during his rule

Herihor began to insist that the god Amun was advising him on matters of the state and that as a priest of Amun he was favored by the god as the ruler of both Upper and Lower Egypt.[197]

Thus during the time of Herihor, the High Priestdom had ceased to be primarily a religious office and had acquired considerable temporal authority, i.e., rulership including the generalship of the armies. In other words, the period of the rule of Herihor shows an elaborate development of a High Priest taking the persona of royal divinity.

Herihor was the High priest of Amun during the reign of Ramses XI, who ruled some 200 years after Ramses II.
Herihor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is no indication from either the Islamic-Awareness article or from anything that Babenkhon wrote about himself to suggest that he commanded soldiers at any point during his time in office as High Priest. Commanding soldiers would be the job of a vizier, but I see no evidence that "hmn" was used as a title for them, or that there was any vizier by the name of "Haman".

The function of Haman, as described in the Quran, could have only been held by a vizier. Yet there is no evidence of any such vizier when Ramses was Pharaoh.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Salaam Alaikum.

I was wondering if anyone here is aware of who Haman is a reference to in the Quran. I see him described in 28:6, 28:8, 28:38, 29:39, 40:24 and 40:36. I see that he is described alongside Pharaoh as a sinner, and he seems to be described as having command of the army alongside Pharaoh. There is a reference to "their soldiers" in 28:6, 28:8. Haman was also tasked with building a tower to meet the God of Moses, a tower to be made of fired clay (28:38, 40:36). He rejected Moses along with Pharaoh and Qarun (do you know who he was?) and was killed by God, as other verses he is mentioned in show.

Is there any indication in Muslim sources who this man was or what position he held?

Thanks so much.
Peace be on you.
Plz see note 2198 about Haman @ The Holy Quran

Pastek

Sunni muslim
Salaam Alaikum.

He rejected Moses along with Pharaoh and Qarun (do you know who he was?) and was killed by God, as other verses he is mentioned in show.

Wa alykom asalam

Qarun was a rich israelite, in the Bible his name is Korah.

Korah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

28.76 Indeed, Qarun was from the people of Moses, but he tyrannized them. And We gave him of treasures whose keys would burden a band of strong men; thereupon his people said to him, "Do not exult. Indeed, Allah does not like the exultant.

28.81 And We caused the earth to swallow him and his home. And there was for him no company to aid him other than Allah , nor was he of those who [could] defend themselves.