• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Christianity

denfetakon

Why was it important that Jesus died on the cross? What view did the Christians have on Jesus life, death and resurrection?

Galateasdream

Why was it important that Jesus died on the cross? What view did the Christians have on Jesus life, death and resurrection?

You'll get a lot of different answers on this one.

I'm afraid, or pleased, to say that Christianity is a highly diverse religion with many different internal views on the atonement and cross-work.

Also, hello and welcome :)

Terry Sampson

Let me guess: you're a student and you've been sent to "Religious Forums" to collect one or more responses to your questions, no?

denfetakon

Let me guess: you're a student and you've been sent to "Religious Forums" to collect one or more responses to your questions, no?

That's correct, our primary teacher got a flu and we've been stuck with a substitute teacher who doesn't know anything about this topic. I'm new to this forum, am I allowed to publish threads like this?

Terry Sampson

1. Does that happen?
  2. Why not just use Wikipedia, or a library, lol :)
re: 1. Yes. Not often enough to confuse RF members frequently, but from time to time, some teacher will assign their class a "Go get one or more live human beings' answers to these questions" and either direct them specifically to RF if they know about it or let the students flounder about on the internet trying to find interviewees if the teacher doesn't know about RF. It's okay when just one or two show up, but gets really exciting when four or five show up and RF members who haven't figured out what's going on begin to grouse about the frequency of identical questions being posted by different folks, ... as if anybody in RF has more important things to do besides showing off their feathers.

re: 2. The propensity of naive students to "cut and paste" stuff from wiki or library books trains students to plagiarize. Sending the students out "to find the straw to make the bricks themselves", so to speak, challenges the students to learn researching skills by actually going out into the field.

Jeremiah Ames

I can’t tell you what a Christian thinks.

But here is my view regarding part of it:
Jesus had to die on the cross because it was his final battle with hell.
By the time He came to earth, the human race had become 100% evil.
This great quantity of evil eventually results in hell overflowing, so to speak.
He needed to battle these evils and subdue them all.
He battled hell during his entire adult life, continuously.
He had to battle EVERY evil, and there are a lot of evils. (Nearly infinite)
His battles were in the spiritual world, not on earth.
His death on the cross was the end of his battles. Just before releasing His spirit, he says “it is finished”. Therefore HE could surrender His life (earthly body)
This effort brought about balance.

There is much much more involved, but this should suffice for your substitute teacher.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

OK....Here’s another point of view.

Put simply, humans were sold into slavery (to sin and death) by their first parents (Adam and Eve). The Laws of redemption in Israel show that if someone was in debt, and they had no way to pay it, they could go into service for the one to whom the debt was owing until the debt was paid.....but a benefactor (a wealthy relative or friend) could pay the debt for them and clear it, freeing that person from slavery.

We are the slaves and Jesus is the redeemer (benefactor) in that scenario. But along with that role, Jesus was also a master teacher. His teachings and example were designed to appeal to the downtrodden masses who were “lost” from the point of view of the religious leaders, but certainly not “lost” to God. As the “Fine Shepherd”, Jesus led those “lost sheep” into a new pen and exposed their shepherds as hypocritical frauds. This infuriated them and they plotted Jesus’ murder. They held an illegal trial and virtually blackmailed Pilate into executing an innocent man.

Jesus’ death however, paid the debt that Adam left, repaying a perfect sinless life for the perfect sinless life that Adam lost for his children. We now had a way back to reconciliation with God.

Jesus was 100% human or else he could not have died. But his death was not permanent because God resurrected him, not in human flesh, but in the spirit form he was with God before he came to earth on his rescue mission.

On his return to heaven, Jesus presented the value of his sacrifice before his God and Father, and with this permanent means to forgive our sins, it now meant that the blood sacrifices offered under the law were no longer necessary. As “the Lamb of God” who ‘took away the sins of the world’, he paid the price for all our sins. But this also meant that we had an obligation to leave off sinful activities. We all know what they are.

Christianity then gradually withdrew from Judaism and became a separate religion in its own right. But unfortunately it was prophesied that it too would fall victim to unscrupulous men who would lead Christianity astray.....and today it is a mish-mash of conflicting doctrine. Which is why you may get a range of different answers to this question....

All the best... I hope that helps. :)