• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Cathedrals

Squirt

When my husband and I toured Europe a number of years ago, we went in numerous Catholic cathedrals. I was telling someone once that my favorite was St. Peter's in Rome. I was informed that St. Peter's is not a cathedral but a church. Was this person up in the night or is that correct? Is there a difference between a Catholic church and a Catholic cathedral? If so, what is it?

Scott1

Squirt said:
When my husband and I toured Europe a number of years ago, we went in numerous Catholic cathedrals.
COOOOL! One day I pray I'll get to go as well.
I was telling someone once that my favorite was St. Peter's in Rome. I was informed that St. Peter's is not a cathedral but a church. Was this person up in the night or is that correct?
This person was sorta correct.
The chief church of a diocese, in which the bishop has his throne (cathedra) and close to which is his residence; it is, properly speaking, the bishop's church, wherein he presides, teaches, and conducts worship for the whole Christian community. The word is derived from the Greek kathedra through the Latin cathedra, throne, elevated seat.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03438a.htm
The Lateran Basilica bears the honorary title of the cathedral of the Bishop of Rome (The Pope).

In Christ,
Scott

Scott1

A Cathedral is the official Church of the Bishop in a particular area.... in this instance, we are talking about the City of Rome. The Lateran Basilica is the Cathedral Church for the Bishop of Rome..... he can have only ONE.... like the President can only have one White House..... it does not matter how grand or glorious another building might be (like St. Peter's) it still won't be the White House.... get it?

Squirt

Scott1 said:
A Cathedral is the official Church of the Bishop in a particular area.... in this instance, we are talking about the City of Rome. The Lateran Basilica is the Cathedral Church for the Bishop of Rome..... he can have only ONE.... like the President can only have one White House..... it does not matter how grand or glorious another building might be (like St. Peter's) it still won't be the White House.... get it?
Gotha! (I guess that should have been clear the first time around, but it wasn't.) Thanks.

Scott1

To add... St. Peter's is a BASILICA (In architecture, the term basilica signifies a kingly, and secondarily a beautiful, hall. )

pieta.jpg

The Pieta in St. Peter's