• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Asatru

Antiochian

Rationalist
I've done some reading about Asatru, and there was a time I even thought it might be for me.

Knowing how Asatru emphasizes ancestry, and tends to be a Norse/Germanic based religion, would my Dutch (Germanic) ancestry qualify me for membership? I realize some groups don't care as much about ethnic lineage, but I'm curious.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd even know how to go about seeking membership, but I assume there are solitaries like in witchcraft.

Are most Asatruars quite conservative on social issues, or is there a lot of variation, particularly within the formal groups?

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
Yes it would. But in my opinion if the Kindred you are interested in joining actually seriously cares about your racial heritage, run far far away.
That is just IMO.

Heathen Hammer

Nope, you're still wrong
This is a hard question to answer, because there's no central authority in Asatru. It's tribal by definition; therefore, if you are to be a lone Asatruar, it only matters to you. If you intend to find a kinship and join, then they have their own bylaws.

There's no real way to pin us [and technically Im a Heathen, not really an Asatruar] down in terms of social issues. Predominantly homestead-minded, family oriented, do-it-yourselfers. Whatever might work with that ;)

Don't see why Dutch/Germanic would disqualify you. Do you feel called? Then you qualify. The soul, for us, is composed of a large number of component parts; some perish, some linger, some come back. I know of Japanese-born asatruar and have heard of others of other national origins who were called.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I've done some reading about Asatru, and there was a time I even thought it might be for me.

Knowing how Asatru emphasizes ancestry, and tends to be a Norse/Germanic based religion, would my Dutch (Germanic) ancestry qualify me for membership? I realize some groups don't care as much about ethnic lineage, but I'm curious.

Then again, I'm not sure I'd even know how to go about seeking membership, but I assume there are solitaries like in witchcraft.

Are most Asatruars quite conservative on social issues, or is there a lot of variation, particularly within the formal groups?

These people might answer some questions for you: satrufellesskapet Bifrost - Information in English

They tend to be more conservative in the U.S. but interestingly, Asatruar are associated with the political LEFT in Iceland. (Some American organizations call themselves 'Vinland Asatruar' to differentiate themselves from Icelandic groups.) However there are liberal Heathens in the U.S., they're just in the minority.

You might also want to look at Heathenry in general, there are other variations of Heathenry besides Asatru.

Antiochian

Rationalist
I appreciate the info. At this point, my curiosity is more about wanting to expand my knowledge than feeling an actual call to the religion. I'm quite happy in Wicca. But I think it's good to know about other Neopagan beliefs, and I'd love to know more about Germanic mythology, and what the pre-Christian Dutch people believed.

I one am in love with Norse myths and pantheon plus the old Norse society. I'll try and find some info on Asatru around the net. One small question before that... do those that are practicing this belief, believe in the old Norse pantheon? :D

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I one am in love with Norse myths and pantheon plus the old Norse society. I'll try and find some info on Asatru around the net. One small question before that... do those that are practicing this belief, believe in the old Norse pantheon? :D

Asatruar are specific to the Norse Pantheon, although there are different variants of the belief system. Mine, Fyrnsidu, follows the Anglo-Saxon pantheon. There's Dutch versions, German versions, and I've even found a Frankish version! That one is the one I was most surprised with.