• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about a new experience

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This morning i had an experience i have not had before.

I waked up as normal, but the difference was that i did not feel my body and my vision was not there.
I knew i was awake but for some time (i dont know for how long) i was in this state where no feeling of body and no sight.

Have anyone a answer or maybe a similar experience?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I waked up as normal, but the difference was that i did not feel my body and my vision was not there.
I knew i was awake but for some time (i dont know for how long) i was in this state where no feeling of body and no sight.

Maybe go see a doctor?

Earthling

David Henson

Sure. Of mind without recourse, temporarily, of the body or vision which weren't required at that moment.

sooda

Veteran Member

Sounds like you were dreaming or ..

Sleep paralysis usually occurs at one of two times. If it occurs while you are falling asleep, it's called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. If it happens as you are waking up, it's called hypnopompic or postdormital sleep paralysis.

Its normal.

sooda

Veteran Member
upload_2019-3-3_11-36-1.png

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Go see a doctor, may me nothing but may be something more concerning like a mini stroke

Earthling

David Henson
Um...what?

Okay . . . bear with me . . . you are asleep. Eyes closed. Body in repose. Uh, if you were in a deep REM state it is likely that you were, in effect paralyzed to protect you from acting out, physically, your dreams.

You slowly wake from this respite, feeling, in effect, a transcendence of the body and vision. These things have literally been put to rest. It's not a unique feeling when you think about it. A sort of precipice of asleep and awake.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

yes.....

but some will knee jerk to say....see a doctor
and that may be good advice

as for me....I rolled over and went back to sleep

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay . . . bear with me . . . you are asleep. Eyes closed. Body in repose. Uh, if you were in a deep REM state it is likely that you were, in effect paralyzed to protect you from acting out, physically, your dreams.

You slowly wake from this respite, feeling, in effect, a transcendence of the body and vision. These things have literally been put to rest. It's not a unique feeling when you think about it. A sort of precipice of asleep and awake.

What you are describing is sleep paralysis.

Please see post #9 above.

Earthling

David Henson
Because what you described in post #3 and what is described in the OP was not.

Really? Let me scroll. Maybe I missed or misread something. . .

Hmmm. I don't see it, unless you consider that he "woke up as usual" as meaning he sprang, or crawled out of bed half asleep.

I picture him meaning that he was laying there, awake; conscious. But I sort of have to assume that he wasn't, really, what he said he was. Awoke as normal.

Is that what it is, or is there something I'm missing?

Jeremiah Ames

I’m assuming that ‘no sight’ means there was darkness?

Not feeling your body doesn’t seem like too big of a deal, since you were obviously relaxed from just waking up.

But it seems like there should be something visible, if not in the room, at least in your mind.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I’m assuming that ‘no sight’ means there was darkness?

Not feeling your body doesn’t seem like too big of a deal, since you were obviously relaxed from just waking up.

But it seems like there should be something visible, if not in the room, at least in your mind.
It was not dark outside or in the room because when i did get the sight back it was sunlight in the room. It was not only not feeling the body, before i got the sight back it was only my hearing and the knowing of being awake that was there, no other feelings or sensations

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Really? Let me scroll. Maybe I missed or misread something. . .

Hmmm. I don't see it, unless you consider that he "woke up as usual" as meaning he sprang, or crawled out of bed half asleep.

I picture him meaning that he was laying there, awake; conscious. But I sort of have to assume that he wasn't, really, what he said he was. Awoke as normal.

Is that what it is, or is there something I'm missing?

In sleep paralysis, one cannot move; one cannot speak. While this may have been a part of his experience, you assume this rather than having all of the facts.

Even if this was the case, it is not normal in sleep paralysis to have no vision and not be able to feel your body. Sensation is still present; one just cannot move.

To diagnose someone based on assumptions with a medical degree is foolhardy at best. To do so without a degree is just dangerous.