• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Its an excellent case that Jar Jar was supposed to be a "big baddy" in the prequels, but despite what is there (that isnt likely an editorial problem), its only speculation and he just happens to have Jedi-like movements and its nothing that he waves his hand before getting someone to agree with him.

Road Warrior

Seeking the middle path..
The original 3 movies are the only worth watching Star wars movies (4,5,6), those that Lucas made (1,2,3) were almost as bad as these, but at least the lore was consistence with the original. The first one with JarJar, is just amazingly bad, in pretty much all areas and gradually becomes better in the 2,3 movie.
Let's not forget that Lucas came up with Jar-Jar Binks. Dude, TBH, I love the movies, but am not obsessed with them nor a purist. They're fun. They mythology is great, but they're still movies. I like movies. A lot but they are not, and should not be, a religion.

Road Warrior

Its an excellent case that Jar Jar was supposed to be a "big baddy" in the prequels, but despite what is there (that isnt likely an editorial problem), its only speculation and he just happens to have Jedi-like movements and its nothing that he waves his hand before getting someone to agree with him.
Jar Jar a "baddy"? LOL

Road Warrior

Yoda didn't exactly have the most glorified or dignified introduction himself, but he'll still literally warp your mind all the same.
Yoda's introduction was subtle. Jar Jar's was obviously commercial to cater to kids and sell trinkets. Why do you think Yoda is respected by fans and Jar Jar is ridiculed?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yoda's introduction was subtle. Jar Jar's was obviously commercial to cater to kids and sell trinkets. Why do you think Yoda is respected by fans and Jar Jar is ridiculed?
I've always wondered that. Be what he is (and Lucas himself did like Jar Jar), he's still a very necessary "piece of the puzzle.") He's role became smaller, but his significance didn't.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
Seems isn't the same as a definite yes. It's equally valid that issue was overlooked by crappy storytelling. Or, why Trumps moon/mars tweet is a thing. You cant read into something that isn't there
I think Rey is a Force prodigy like Anakin
LOL The irony being those are all clips from the Original Series.
Here is a quote about Tarantino's Star Trek from Vanity Fair:
"He also suggested ideas for what he would do if ever given the reins, noting that he would like to have taken an episode, such as “City on the Edge of Forever,” and expand it into a one-off film: “It’s one of the classic stories of all time! And one of the great time -travel stories.”

If he does City on the Edge of Forever, he can take all my money.

Shad

Veteran Member
Paramount Picture wants to work with Tarantino on the project, J.J Abrams is on board, Tarantino confirms there is a script and that the film will be rated R. DSo we might be getting the best Star Trek movie ever. Given Tarantino's casting choices in the past, who do you think is going to play who in his Star Trek movie?

Quentin Tarantino Says His Star Trek Movie Would Be R-Rated
Quentin Tarantino Confirms Script for His Star Trek Movie Exists
https://trekmovie.com/2019/06/10/quentin-tarantino-gives-an-update-on-his-star-trek-film/

How are they going to lens flare blood..... Big issue.

Road Warrior

I think Rey is a Force prodigy like Anakin

Here is a quote about Tarantino's Star Trek from Vanity Fair:
"He also suggested ideas for what he would do if ever given the reins, noting that he would like to have taken an episode, such as “City on the Edge of Forever,” and expand it into a one-off film: “It’s one of the classic stories of all time! And one of the great time -travel stories.”

If he does City on the Edge of Forever, he can take all my money.
While I think he'd do a great job of it, basically he's just doing a remake. Fine in itself, but not the makings of a new classic.

Nimos

Let's not forget that Lucas came up with Jar-Jar Binks. Dude, TBH, I love the movies, but am not obsessed with them nor a purist. They're fun. They mythology is great, but they're still movies. I like movies. A lot but they are not, and should not be, a religion.
I agree that movies are simple entertainment, but people get invested in the story, the characters and so forth, the reason they do that is because they are interesting. And Star wars along side Star trek is the most iconic science fiction there is to date, so you should expect people to get a bit upset, and I want to make it clear that im not really a fan of any of them, meaning having Star wars all over the place etc. But I grew up with them and have watch the original ones countless times.

So when companies decide to continue the story and show no quality to lore, details, characters and then release, what is it now, 5 movies in a row? that shows nothing of this, Rogue one as you said is by far the best, but is just rendered pointless due to the other Star wars movies, as they can just hyper jump into each other. There seem to be no care for details or anthing and It becomes clear that this is not really about Star wars and making good movies or caring about it. But simply about making money, get as many movies out there as possible to milk the concept. It not like it difficult to find really hardcore Star wars fans, that knows everything about the lore that could have guided Disney in it. And if people do not care about the quality of movies and these things, then they will simply continue to release these movies with really poor stories, uninteresting characters, which is nothing more than 3D effects.

Lucas is not free from critic, those he made (1,2,3) as I said were almost as bad as those that Disney made. So Im not in anyway defending him. I do however think the main reason his failed, where that he wanted to make them sort of like the original ones, so he needed a clown character like Jar-Jar, to carry that role for the C3PO and R2D2. But it just went overboard, with Anakin also constantly having to make jokes and stupid comments.

But to be honest I think what really backfired for them, were the release of Lord of the rings, with it much more serious and dark approach to a fantasy story. And people really like it, so when the first Star wars movie launched and people saw all these one liners fired off one after another, it just seems bad. You have the whole Pod race in it, that takes like 40 mins or so, which only purpose were to promote an upcoming computer game. There is no reason why this should take such a long time. The enemy droids are mostly just a joke. So adding it all togther its such a lazy and lackluster story, compared to something like Lord of the rings, which I think shares a lot of the same viewers and people like that a fantasy story were taken seriously for once. Remember that in the original Star wars movie the comedy is quite elegant added to the movies and is not forced down your throat constantly, but at the same time it doesn't ruin the seriousness of it, which to me at least, is why it works.

So I have only watched Lucas new movies (1,2,3) maybe two times. The Disney ones, 1 time each, might have watched bit and pieces, but they really don't entertain me. The original ones, I don't know how many times I have watched.

Last edited:

Road Warrior

I agree that movies are simple entertainment, but people get invested in the story, the characters and so forth, the reason they do that is because they are interesting. And Star wars along side Star trek is the most iconic science fiction there is to date, so you should expect people to get a bit upset, and I want to make it clear that im not really a fan of any of them, meaning having Star wars all over the place etc. But I grew up with them and have watch the original ones countless times.

So when companies decide to continue the story and show no quality to lore, details, characters and then release, what is it now, 5 movies in a row? that shows nothing of this, Rogue one as you said is by far the best, but is just rendered pointless due to the other Star wars movies, as they can just hyper jump into each other. There seem to be no care for details or anthing and It becomes clear that this is not really about Star wars and making good movies or caring about it. But simply about making money, get as many movies out there as possible to milk the concept. It not like it difficult to find really hardcore Star wars fans, that knows everything about the lore that could have guided Disney in it. And if people do not care about the quality of movies and these things, then they will simply continue to release these movies with really poor stories, uninteresting characters, which is nothing more than 3D effects.

Lucas is not free from critic, those he made (1,2,3) as I said were almost as bad as those that Disney made. So Im not in anyway defending him. I do however think the main reason his failed, where that he wanted to make them sort of like the original ones, so he needed a clown character like Jar-Jar, to carry that role for the C3PO and R2D2. But it just went overboard, with Anakin also constantly having to make jokes and stupid comments.

But to be honest I think what really backfired for them, were the release of Lord of the rings, with it much more serious and dark approach to a fantasy story. And people really like it, so when the first Star wars movie launched and people saw all these one liners fired off one after another, it just seems bad. You have the whole Pod race in it, that takes like 40 mins or so, which only purpose were to promote an upcoming computer game. There is no reason why this should take such a long time. The enemy droids are mostly just a joke. So adding it all togther its such a lazy and lackluster story, compared to something like Lord of the rings, which I think shares a lot of the same viewers and people like that a fantasy story were taken seriously for once. Remember that in the original Star wars movie the comedy is quite elegant added to the movies and is not forced down your throat constantly, but at the same time it doesn't ruin the seriousness of it, which to me at least, is why it works.

So I have only watched Lucas new movies (1,2,3) maybe two times. The Disney ones, 1 time each, might have watched bit and pieces, but they really don't entertain me. The original ones, I don't know how many times I have watched.
Remember when Battlestar Galactica was remade and they turned Starbuck into a woman? Purists shat themselves for months over the announcement. As it turned out, the show was even better than the original.

Road Warrior

As an aside, I think William Shatter is a great actor.

There, I said it.
He epitomized ham acting.....and wasn't liked by his co-stars. The shady side of William Shatner

OTOH, I think he lightened up much later and was willing to make fun of himself even though many of his former co-stars still held a grudge against him. The funny movie "Galaxy Quest" is a parody of the post-Star Trek cast, especially Shatner. The incident in the restroom was based on a true story.

Galaxy Quest (1999) - IMDb

Galaxy Quest (1999) - Trivia - IMDb
The scene when Tim Allen is in a men's room overhearing how the cast of Galaxy Quest are nobodies and all the co-stars can't stand him mirrors an actual event in William Shatner's life. He discovered the exact same things about himself when he attended a 1986 convention.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
He epitomized ham acting.....and wasn't liked by his co-stars. The shady side of William Shatner

OTOH, I think he lightened up much later and was willing to make fun of himself even though many of his former co-stars still held a grudge against him. The funny movie "Galaxy Quest" is a parody of the post-Star Trek cast, especially Shatner. The incident in the restroom was based on a true story.

Galaxy Quest (1999) - IMDb

Galaxy Quest (1999) - Trivia - IMDb
The scene when Tim Allen is in a men's room overhearing how the cast of Galaxy Quest are nobodies and all the co-stars can't stand him mirrors an actual event in William Shatner's life. He discovered the exact same things about himself when he attended a 1986 convention.
He was great in Boston Legal. I miss that show.

Nimos

Remember when Battlestar Galactica was remade and they turned Starbuck into a woman? Purists shat themselves for months over the announcement. As it turned out, the show was even better than the original.
I can't really comment on that, I saw the new Battlestar series and didn't think it were all that good, but entertaining enough that I saw all of it, but I don't really know anything about it other than that.

But besides them changing Starbuck into a women, did they screw over the lore of the old one as well or did they for the large part stick to it the important things?

Road Warrior

I can't really comment on that, I saw the new Battlestar series and didn't think it were all that good, but entertaining enough that I saw all of it, but I don't really know anything about it other than that.

But besides them changing Starbuck into a women, did they screw over the lore of the old one as well or did they for the large part stick to it the important things?
At the time, people who saw both shows thought they screwed over the lore. Hence my point: don't prejudge something Let's see what happens.