• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Queensland doubles funds to build an extra 5,600 affordable and social homes, premier announces

danieldemol

Premium Member
'An extra $1 billion will be funnelled into a Queensland government housing fund to build thousands more social and affordable homes in the next five years.

Key points:
  • The state government is aiming to deliver 13,000 social and affordable homes by 2027
  • Currently there are 46,000 people on social housing register
  • Queensland Council of Social Service says 5,000 new social homes need to be built every year for next decade'
Source: Palaszczuk says Queenslanders hit by housing crisis 'keeps me awake at night' as she announces $1b fund boost

All of which leaves me with 2 questions.

1. Is it enough?
And
2. When is NSW turn to ramp up their spending on social housing?

In my opinion

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I was thinking about this when walking the dog this morning. There's a homeless bloke living in his car, seems like a decent enough person, he sleeps in the RSL carpark and in the morning goes down to the public toilet block to clean his teeth and wash a bit. I speak to him most mornings and he told me he's split up with his wife and can't pay the child support and afford housing for himself. Can't imagine what it's like to try and function at work while living in a car. His entire life's possessions are in a small car and a 6 x 4 box trailer.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
'An extra $1 billion will be funnelled into a Queensland government housing fund to build thousands more social and affordable homes in the next five years.

Key points:
  • The state government is aiming to deliver 13,000 social and affordable homes by 2027
  • Queensland Council of Social Service says 5,000 new social homes need to be built every year for next decade'
Source: Palaszczuk says Queenslanders hit by housing crisis 'keeps me awake at night' as she announces $1b fund boost

1. Is it enough?
And

In my opinion
I'd be asking why it got so bad in the first place.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member

Mismanagement, apathy, poor planning, red tape, years of conservative governments that care more about large companies that fund their election campaigns then they do about the average citizen.

Brian2

Veteran Member

Key points:

1. Is it enough?
And

In my opinion

Nothing like a plan.
The quarantine facilities in Victoria it seems are being handed back to the Comm Gov. They should be used for the homeless also.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Australian housing prices generally are crazy high. Social housing fills an important role to allow people who can't afford rent (never mind buying) an opportunity to have a stable home.

There are LOTS of reasons it's required, rather than one. Some are societal failings we should get better at handling, some are more just what happens when you try to provide options for disadvantaged people.

TLDR; you're right, we should ALWAYS be asking that.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member

Key points:

1. Is it enough?
And

In my opinion
Thats' $150000 a unit, surely they could make cheaper tiny homes or something and help a much larger number of people

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Thats' $150000 a unit, surely they could make cheaper tiny homes or something and help a much larger number of people

A couple of years ago the NSW state government delivered on the promise of a new police station. It is literally 2 clad shipping containers joined together, the cost... $1.5 million and they built another 2 in my local government area for a total of $4.5m. So $150k each sounds quite reasonable to me.

iu

danieldemol

Premium Member
I tried doing a quick google and got this;

'Napier Blakely estimates the cost to build a single-storey home was pegged around $910 to $1,400 per square metre in mid-2020. However, this has since risen to now be between $1120 to $1730 per sqm. With limited tradespeople available and material shortages, don’t be surprised if it costs more, or has risen since July 2022. Michael Yardney from propertyupdate.com.au estimates that Brisbane is more expensive to build in than any other city, as you can see in his table below:

'
Source: How Much Does It Cost To Build A House In Brisbane In 2022?

So I guess they are looking at
150,000/1210 approx=124 square metres.

Which is honestly not that big when you potentially factor in a car space for those who need it as well.

What size do you propose would meet the needs of the average occupant of social housing?

In my opinion.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think a homeless person or couple would be quite happy with a tiny home, maybe not if they had children