• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Queen will not meet Trump during UK visit

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Totally agree........
When Charles and Diana married it was a special holiday and there were street parties all over, etc........ I took the opportunity to take my trawler along the coast on a salvage, wreckage and flotsam hunt that day........ I just never did get interested in celebrity weddings, visits or occasions. But I'm the odd-one-out because all the rest of Britain goes bonkers, it seems.

Not me, just another family with privileges

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You have no democracy in the office of head of state; the office you claim is symbolic.

If the office is symbolic, what’s the symbolism? Anti-democratic, anti-egalitarian, and classist. Does that symbolism reflect your values? Because they’re the values you proclaim by supporting the monarchy.

Only the Queen has status under Canadian law. The rest of the royal family is just a curiosity, except to the extent that they might become monarch of Canada some day.

Any “gallant” actions of the Queen have an asterisk because of the disrespect of basic values inherent in the monarchy.

As for visiting Gibraltar or Africa? Her attempts to promote empire bring up imperialism and all the evils that go along with that. My “meh” was charitable.

Like I said in the previous post.......... I think you'd do more good for righteousness if you ranted about the real corruption and deception out there, but you wouldn't find much of that around the person of our Queen.

And so in yourself there's one vote in any future referendum to scrap the monarchy in Canada. All you need now is a few more millions.

Good luck with that. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I thing everyone should know that I plan to not visit
England, & while I'm not there, I'll not visit the Queen.
It's largely cuz I like not flying on airplanes.

So you won't get invited to the Palace for tea and scones. So there.

I'm not flying on 'planes either so I'll not be coming to your museum. It's my friggin' ears, they cannot cope with pressure changes upwards..... take-off and climb is a breeze, but coming down is total agony, as I found out on my training-trips to Belfast and Glasgow..

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So you won't get invited to the Palace for tea and scones. So there.

I'm not flying on 'planes either so I'll not be coming to your museum. It's my friggin' ears, they cannot cope with pressure changes upwards..... take-off and climb is a breeze, but coming down is total agony, as I found out on my training-trips to Belfast and Glasgow..
If you ever don't come to the Coolspring Power Museum
show, it'll be the best show you've never been to.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Not me, just another family with privileges
Fair enough.

But if such privileges were to be heaped on to me I would crash and burn....... My wife and myself are very withdrawn and quiet, we couldn't cope with what the royals have to do.

If I had to name ten actors I would be sunk, although I like watching films, the actors are no more special for me than the drivers of the local bus service.... I wouldn't queue to get a signed pic from either group. :)

Tom Hanks!
And Meryl Streep's voices are so sexy!
Um...... err..... I think that's my list...... :p

ChristineM

Premium Member
Fair enough.

But if such privileges were to be heaped on to me I would crash and burn....... My wife and myself are very withdrawn and quiet, we couldn't cope with what the royals have to do.

If I had to name ten actors I would be sunk, although I like watching films, the actors are no more special for me than the drivers of the local bus service.... I wouldn't queue to get a signed pic from either group. :)

Tom Hanks!
And Meryl Streep's voices are so sexy!
Um...... err..... I think that's my list...... :p

That's sort of not quite right, if such privileges were heaped on your butler, household staff, army of secretaries and functionaries, security staff at taxpayers expense all in your name while you go on a shaking hands tour of somewherwold where the spectators are happy to wave at you, would that burn you out?

Im pretty much with you on actors, don't watch much tv/films.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
That's sort of not quite right, if such privileges were heaped on your butler, household staff, army of secretaries and functionaries, security staff at taxpayers expense all in your name while you go on a shaking hands tour of somewherwold where the spectators are happy to wave at you, would that burn you out?
Yep.......... I'd definitely be at home with my wife, playing with the little hounds, or watching a film.
The scenario that you described would stress us both to illness, I reckon.
The way that we waste tax money is so outrageous that I can't get excited over what the Queen and royalty costs us.

Im pretty much with you on actors, don't watch much tv/films.
I like films and music but I don't know any names at all. And I can't understand why so many people will copy celebrity dress, etc into raging fashions. And people who are classed as beautiful sometimes look ghastly to me. But I'm too old to worry about all that now. :)

Riders

Sense Trump makes everyone uncomfortable when he meets them hed probably grab her and hug her and embarrass the crap out of the United States......................

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yep.......... I'd definitely be at home with my wife, playing with the little hounds, or watching a film.
The scenario that you described would stress us both to illness, I reckon.
The way that we waste tax money is so outrageous that I can't get excited over what the Queen and royalty costs us.

I like films and music but I don't know any names at all. And I can't understand why so many people will copy celebrity dress, etc into raging fashions. And people who are classed as beautiful sometimes look ghastly to me. But I'm too old to worry about all that now. :)

Long live the republic...;-)

The last films i watched at the cinema was the two latest star wars (Christmas treat for the kids), before that avatar (gives a clue to my tastes) .

We have invited friends over next week for a film night, the film will be "The life of Brian". Them not being British and never having seen it despite being great Monty Python fans, it promises to be a good night.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Like I said in the previous post.......... I think you'd do more good for righteousness if you ranted about the real corruption and deception out there,
Why would you assume I'm not? This thread is not the only place where I talk about things.

but you wouldn't find much of that around the person of our Queen.
One would hope, though the lack of transparency surrounding the monarchy makes it difficult to check. But yes: from what's public in this regard, the problems right now are more with the apparatus supporting the monarch than the monarch herself. I think that may change with Charles, though.

And so in yourself there's one vote in any future referendum to scrap the monarchy in Canada. All you need now is a few more millions.

Good luck with that. :)
It's a statistical tie between supporting the monarch (43%) and supporting abolition (41%) with a sizeable number not caring one way or the other (16%), according to the most recent survey I could find.

... and among Canadians, the most popular answer to the question "which member of the royal family do you most admire?" is "I don't admire the royal family."

Canada Divided on the Monarchy

Other surveys I've seen suggested a fair number of Canaduans who were okay with a monarchy now, but would rather have a Canadian republic than Charles as their king.

Edit: but I'm comforted that you do seem to agree that legitimacy of a monarch is rooted in support of the people. That's why you brought up her popularity, right?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Why would you assume I'm not? This thread is not the only place where I talk about things.

One would hope, though the lack of transparency surrounding the monarchy makes it difficult to check. But yes: from what's public in this regard, the problems right now are more with the apparatus supporting the monarch than the monarch herself. I think that may change with Charles, though.

It's a statistical tie between supporting the monarch (43%) and supporting abolition (41%) with a sizeable number not caring one way or the other (16%), according to the most recent survey I could find.

... and among Canadians, the most popular answer to the question "which member of the royal family do you most admire?" is "I don't admire the royal family."

Canada Divided on the Monarchy

Other surveys I've seen suggested a fair number of Canaduans who were okay with a monarchy now, but would rather have a Canadian republic than Charles as their king.

And there you have it............. if a significant % of Canadians wanted Canada to become a republic, then Canada would become a republic, which throws your whole perception of this Monarchy for six, because it is NOT an immovable institution at all, but there at the wish of the people.
:shrug:

Edit: but I'm comforted that you do seem to agree that legitimacy of a monarch is rooted in support of the people. That's why you brought up her popularity, right?
I mentioned her popularity as a simple fact, with no angles whatsoever.
It might have been more comfort for you to focus upon the fact that I am not a strong monarchist!
But Wills and Harry are both remarkable men, with remarkable life records already, and I will be interested to see how much interest Canada takes in Harry and Megan's wedding this weekend, with no political angles attached at all.

Will you be watching it all closely? :p

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
But Wills and Harry are both remarkable men, with remarkable life records already, and I will be interested to see how much interest Canada takes in Harry and Megan's wedding this weekend, with no political angles attached at all.
:p

I swear it... I had always thought Harry was gay...and I was so convinced about this that I still see this wedding with suspicion...as if it was a coverage...lol..
btw...I hope not:D

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I swear it... I had always thought Harry was gay...and I was so convinced about this that I still see this wedding with suspicion...as if it was a coverage...lol..

Oh well, we've all made errors of judgement, I guess, although I personally couldn't give a fig about anybody's sexuality. :p

Although weddings don't interest me it'll be interesting to observe the levels of wedding-hysteria around the world this weekend. The couple do seem to be very very popular.

Altfish

Veteran Member
I think the Queen's youngest son Edward could very well be gay, which is fine, just wish he'd be out about it (if he is)
I'm not convinced that Harry is Charles' son, I'm sure James Hewitt is the father.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And there you have it............. if a significant % of Canadians wanted Canada to become a republic, then Canada would become a republic, which throws your whole perception of this Monarchy for six, because it is NOT an immovable institution at all, but there at the wish of the people.
:shrug:
Most Constitutional change in Canada takes much more than a majority.

And because of our history of Quebec separatism, a lot of Canadians are leery of touching the Constitution at all, even if they wish we were a republic.

I mentioned her popularity as a simple fact, with no angles whatsoever.
It might have been more comfort for you to focus upon the fact that I am not a strong monarchist!
So you’re only casually anti-democratic? Good to know.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Most Constitutional change in Canada takes much more than a majority.

And because of our history of Quebec separatism, a lot of Canadians are leery of touching the Constitution at all, even if they wish we were a republic.
OK, so you'll be rolling up for the Commonwealth games into the reasonably distant future?

So you’re only casually anti-democratic? Good to know.
Me? I'm a voter! I'm a democrat who supports our particular and quite special system. And although I won't be glued to our telly this weekend to watch Hals and Megs get tied, I won't turn off the news when they get a mention or two.

But I'll be looking to see what levels of Canadian interest there might have been. :p

Altfish

Veteran Member
Who cares about what the so-called "royals" in Britain do? They're all just figureheads.
Figureheads agreed, but figureheads that all previous US Presidents couldn't wait to get their pictures with back home. And the current one would want nothing more than a procession down the Mall with Liz by his side. Hopefully he ain't going to get it, instead he'll have Theresa licking his boots.