• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quantum Science question.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Is it possible that time does not exist in the quantum world and all our observations of the quantum world use time as a measurement causing it to appear differently. Saw this video and it seems to say that the closer you travel to the speed of light the slower times moves and at the speed of light times stops. Most of the quantum world is running very near the speed of light.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Is it possible that time does not exist in the quantum world and all our observations of the quantum world use time as a measurement causing it to appear differently. Saw this video and it seems to say that the closer you travel to the speed of light the slower times moves and at the speed of light times stops. Most of the quantum world is running very near the speed of light.

The video did not deal with the Quantum World. It is dealing with space/time in our universe.

More next post.

suncowiam

Now, if I understand correctly, time does not exist for light since it travels at the speed of light.

So basically, anything that travels at the speed of light does not travel in time.

Someone can correct me there...

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Now, if I understand correctly, time does not exist for light since it travels at the speed of light.

So basically, anything that travels at the speed of light does not travel in time.

Someone can correct me there...

This is a little confusing.

Time exists only in relationship to space in our universe. It is best worded that the limit is the speed of light in space, because space itself travels at the speed of light.

I will give this more thought.

suncowiam

Time exists only in relationship to space in our universe. It is best worded that the limit is the speed of light in space, because space itself travels at the speed of light.

Riding a Beam of Light & Travelling At The Speed Of Light

"According to relativity, time stands still at the speed of light. Moving at that speed, the second hand on the clock would not have advanced, in the least. This means that the time spent for its journey would be reduced to zero, which is to say, reduced to an infinitely small moment. The clock would be a moment of light, or a "particle" of light, which, by any other name, is a 'photon.' Since, for the sake of our explanation, the clock and a photon are one and the same, we can say that the clock is accurate for determining how much time elapses on a photon. No time passes on the clock, traveling at uniform light speed, which means that no time passes during a photon’s journey, either. Not only that, with respect to its measure of spatial distance."

David T

Premium Member

Mesurement of time like a clock is purely a subjective mechanical. It has zero relationship to nature at all. Since that's just a subjective created convinence originally applied to keep us organised and nothing more, then nature has to be understood differently. That's the really tricky part.Newton is dead.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Mesurement of time like a clock is purely a subjective mechanical. It has zero relationship to nature at all. Since that's just a subjective created convinence originally applied to keep us organised and nothing more, then nature has to be understood differently. That's the really tricky part.Newton is dead.

I am not referring to time measured by a clock. I am referring to the relative nature of time and space in our universe. The Quantum World of Quantum Mechanics is a different matter.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

So, theoretically, what would happen to the body of a person travelling at the SoL? Would the person not age? Could that person live basically forever? And do we age here on earth simple because we are trapped in time? And should I be asking these questions this late at night?

David T

Premium Member
I am not referring to time measured by a clock. I am referring to the relative nature of time and space in our universe. The Quantum World of Quantum Mechanics is a different matter.
That just so happens to be a clock
Well all I said was two aligned clocks one instantly leaves while the other one stays 5 seconds pass the one instantly pops into reality and magic it hasnt moved.. Considering the clock had zero to with reality in the first place what's the problem? The test proves the clock had zero to do with reality at all. It's like discovering an inch is not real. Shocker.

dfnj

Here's a really cool article on the idea that Time is not real:

"There Is No Such Thing As Time"

"If you try to get your hands on time, it's always slipping through your fingers," says Barbour. "People are sure time is there, but they can't get hold of it. My feeling is that they can't get hold of it because it isn't there at all." Barbour speaks with a disarming English charm that belies an iron resolve and confidence in his science. His extreme perspective comes from years of looking into the heart of both classical and quantum physics. Isaac Newton thought of time as a river flowing at the same rate everywhere. Einstein changed this picture by unifying space and time into a single 4-D entity. But even Einstein failed to challenge the concept of time as a measure of change. In Barbour's view, the question must be turned on its head. It is change that provides the illusion of time. Channeling the ghost of Parmenides, Barbour sees each individual moment as a whole, complete and existing in its own right. He calls these moments "Nows."

The word "Time" is a lot like the word "God". Both words only exist in mind-space. You can't touch God with your finger. And you can't touch Time with your finger either. Yet people who hold to the truth of their existence swear the evidence is clearly profound in favor of their faith.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Here's a really cool article on the idea that Time is not real:

"There Is No Such Thing As Time"

The word "Time" is a lot like the word "God". Both words only exist in mind-space. You can't touch God with your finger. And you can't touch Time with your finger either. Yet people who hold to the truth of their existence swear the evidence is clearly profound in favor of their faith.

My argument would be that in the quantum world things do not change. By observation from a collective time base we see change but they are still not changing but the reality around them is and we are actually observing that. Even now when I think at this computer, what to write without moving I am moving, the earth moves the universe moves. When we observe the quantum world it is not effected by this movement and as a result we believe we see it moving but actually everything else we use to observe it is moving.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
That just so happens to be a clock

Well all I said was two aligned clocks one instantly leaves while the other one stays 5 seconds pass the one instantly pops into reality and magic it hasnt moved.. Considering the clock had zero to with reality in the first place what's the problem? The test proves the clock had zero to do with reality at all. It's like discovering an inch is not real. Shocker.

In thinking more and reading through, the quantum world is near zero in mass and dimension perhaps it is also near zero in movement. The tools we use to observe it are moving near the speed of light creating the weirdness we observe. As I understand it the earth spins on itself, the earth rotates around the sun, the Universe moves through space all close to the speed of light. Is it possible the quantum world is not effected by the macro world and as such we are observing our movement around the quantum world.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
That just so happens to be a clock.

No it does not.

Well all I said was two aligned clocks one instantly leaves while the other one stays 5 seconds pass the one instantly pops into reality and magic it hasn't moved.. Considering the clock had zero to with reality in the first place what's the problem? The test proves the clock had zero to do with reality at all. It's like discovering an inch is not real. Shocker.

Again, the clock does not reflect the ultimate reality, because it is simply a mechanical representation of time from our perspective. Relative Time/Space remains a property of our universe, but if you wish to discuss the issue of ti,e in Quantum Mechanics that is another issue.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
My argument would be that in the quantum world things do not change. By observation from a collective time base we see change but they are still not changing but the reality around them is and we are actually observing that. Even now when I think at this computer, what to write without moving I am moving, the earth moves the universe moves. When we observe the quantum world it is not effected by this movement and as a result we believe we see it moving but actually everything else we use to observe it is moving.

The initial reference, and the conclusion concerning materialism? does not compute, because the initial reference refers to ONLY the relationship of relative space and time, and the speed of light in our physical universe, and not in relation to Quantum Mechanics.

If you want to discuss the science of Quantum Mechanics and materialism(?) that is another topic.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Since quantum dynamical processes constitute the gold standard for measuring time, I would hazard "No" as an answer.
The most precise atomic clock ever made is a cube of quantum gas

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
The initial reference, and the conclusion concerning materialism? does not compute, because the initial reference refers to the relationship of space and time, and the speed of light in our physical universe,

If you want to discuss the science of Quantum Mechanics and materialism(?) that is another topic.

Supposedly moving near the speed of light slows time. As I understand it the universe is moving near the speed of light, the earth is rotating around the sun and the earth spins on its axis. This is all movement and near the speed of light so according to the video time should be slowed somewhat it is space/time and the universe, earth and us are all moving through space/time together. The quantum world exists outside this movement without movement it has no time. The OP is about the quantum world and time.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Since quantum dynamical processes constitute the gold standard for measuring time, I would hazard "No" as an answer.
The most precise atomic clock ever made is a cube of quantum gas

In the quantum world observation and measurement effect the outcome, so theoretically you can set up you measurements and observations to get very accurate results, this does not mean that time exists in the quantum world but that we can precisely effect the quantum world. For example I can create consistent voltage from the motion of water, yet water has no voltage.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Supposedly moving near the speed of light slows time. As I understand it the universe is moving near the speed of light, the earth is rotating around the sun and the earth spins on its axis. This is all movement and near the speed of light so according to the video time should be slowed somewhat it is space/time and the universe, earth and us are all moving through space/time together. The quantum world exists outside this movement without movement it has no time. The OP is about the quantum world and time.

Well, again, the space/time of our physical universe does not apply to the Quantum World, because time and space does not exist in the Quantum World in the manner it does as described in the video to the Macro World.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
In the quantum world observation and measurement effect the outcome, so theoretically you can set up you measurements and observations to get very accurate results, this does not mean that time exists in the quantum world but that we can precisely effect the quantum world. For example I can create consistent voltage from the motion of water, yet water has no voltage.

There is no evidence that we can effect the Quantum World. At present we can only indirectly observe and describe Quantum effects at the Quantum level from our perspective.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
There is no evidence that we can effect the Quantum World. At present we can only indirectly observe and describe Quantum effects at the Quantum level from our perspective.

Helpful, because that may indicate it exists outside of time because we would only be able to use time to perceive it.