• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quantum Physics and Religion

Bird123

As usual, I have no idea where this thread goes, so please feel free to move it as you wish.

Most of the maths are almost completely inscrutable to me, though I did attain some utility with Algebra. Calculus was a complete mystery to me. Recently I was looking over some information on Quantum Physics, Electron Entanglement and all that sort of thing and feel that I have happened upon an astonishing revelation.

If what I read actually has practical application at some level, then to me it potentially explains so much about the Theological things which we can not see. They aren't visible to eyes that see best in the visible light range.

I can't explain much about Quantum Mechanics because I simply do not have the vocabulary, and I hate to make Atheists and Agnostics feel challenged because there is lots of room for various ways to think about things. In one of the Videos I watched it seemed entirely plausible for objects to exist in more than one place at once, or only one as is convenient. Whether there are 3, 10, or 15 dimensions are not, I can not solve.

One Astronomer said that between what we see, dark energy and dark matter, we likely see less than 5% of what exists. So, right here on earth there could exist 95% more than just us and we'd have no idea. Lots of room for God and the heavenlies.

Seems you might be better at Math than you thought. As I see it, you are headed in the right direction. I see the true interface to be at the quantum level. I see quantum entanglement along with fractals as evidence the universe is running like a giant complex computer program.

So many people look for God through Feelings. one must not forget the intelligence it takes to put it all together. You have chosen to discover God through Reason. As I see it, this places you ahead of most.

Just Like all the physics adds up, so must everything about God. You are right. It stares us all in the face waiting for us to Discover it.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
How in the world non locality exists is beyond me and suggests a deeper reality.
The universe plays by unobservable rules.

Anyway non locality put me back into a spiritual frame of mind when i came across it.

If classical physics cant explain everything then who are humans to say they are going to understand everything about existence from mere observance and conception. As much as i love to see how far science can go, this particular discovery is off the charts and defies physical thinking.

Ellen Brown

Seems you might be better at Math than you thought. As I see it, you are headed in the right direction. I see the true interface to be at the quantum level. I see quantum entanglement along with fractals as evidence the universe is running like a giant complex computer program.

So many people look for God through Feelings. one must not forget the intelligence it takes to put it all together. You have chosen to discover God through Reason. As I see it, this places you ahead of most.

Just Like all the physics adds up, so must everything about God. You are right. It stares us all in the face waiting for us to Discover it.

Thank you. So many of the God wallopers lacked mercy and justice and seemed to enjoy the blood of the lost. Had Quantum Physics and the rest not revealed God to me, I'd be done.

wellwisher

Actually even though I consider quantum mechanics to be established, I still don't think God plays dice with the universe. I think there is just even more science doesn't understand that explains quantum mechanics.

I think a lot of people, perhaps Einstein, want a material universe they can kind of wrap their minds around. But it appears at this time that reality is still too big for that.

We know we live in a quantum universe through observation. However, the question that is not answered is why is the universe quantum in the first place?

One way to answer this question is to consider the hydrogen atom. The hydrogen atom exists in distinct energy levels. Unlike the classical continuous models of the universe, which thought there were infinite energy levels, quantum observations showed there are only specific energy levels with gaps or discontinuities between these levels.

The value of this schema over a continuous schema is it saves time in terms of the universe being able to evolve. If we had infinite energy levels; continuous model, and we needed a particular level for step two to occur, it would take forever to move between steps.

With quantum limiting the options to much fewer distinct states, with gaps between, we essentially load the dice so step two comes up more frequently, thereby saving time. This is an intelligent design that enhances universal productivity. God does not play dice, rather he loads dice.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you. So many of the God wallopers lacked mercy and justice and seemed to enjoy the blood of the lost. Had Quantum Physics and the rest not revealed God to me, I'd be done.
Quantum physics is very easily describable mathematically. But our intuitions fails to grasp the reality that the mathematics is modeling. That is not surprising, its not expected that a fish will understand how things work in dry land either. But the workings of QM does not show any trace of personal agency either...if that's what you mean by God. So I am not sure how it advances the God question either way.

HonestJoe

Lots of room for God and the heavenlies.
There’s room in my house for an elephant. That doesn’t make it likely that there is an elephant in my house or any more likely there is an elephant than a buffalo.

If anything, the more possibilities we discover, the less likely your specific belief in your interpretation of the Christian God is true. If I ask you to guess a number between 1 and 10, you’ve a decent chance of getting it right. A number between 1 and 1000 makes it much less likely. A number between 1 and infinity would be all but impossible to guess. :cool:

Ellen Brown

Quantum physics is very easily describable mathematically. But our intuitions fails to grasp the reality that the mathematics is modeling. That is not surprising, its not expected that a fish will understand how things work in dry land either. But the workings of QM does not show any trace of personal agency either...if that's what you mean by God. So I am not sure how it advances the God question either way.

Electron Entanglement is one possible aid. Of course we can't see it going on right now, or would not know it if we did. I doubt that God or a supreme being is like our belief systems say he is. There is likely a barrier between us and the rest of the Universe. Astrophysicists are now saying that humans can only see about 5% of what exists. Those who won't understand, do so of their own free will.

Ellen Brown

There’s room in my house for an elephant. That doesn’t make it likely that there is an elephant in my house or any more likely there is an elephant than a buffalo.

If anything, the more possibilities we discover, the less likely your specific belief in your interpretation of the Christian God is true. If I ask you to guess a number between 1 and 10, you’ve a decent chance of getting it right. A number between 1 and 1000 makes it much less likely. A number between 1 and infinity would be all but impossible to guess. :cool:

Presently, most religionists would say that I do not believe in their God. For example: Moses wrote about what he thought he saw, and so did Ezekiel. Whose fault is it that neither understood fully what they saw. It is all much less complicated than believers think.

HonestJoe

Presently, most religionists would say that I do not believe in their God. For example: Moses wrote about what he thought he saw, and so did Ezekiel. Whose fault is it that neither understood fully what they saw. It is all much less complicated than believers think.
Or equally possible, it’s more complicated than you think and you’re the one who is wrong. Maybe we’re all wrong and reality is something nobody has ever even considered. Maybe a remote tribe deep in the Amazon worked it all out but nobody has bothered to ask them yet.

Your point was that QM leaves room for Gods but it leaves room for literally anything else too and we’ve no idea what (if anything) fills that space.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Electron Entanglement is one possible aid. Of course we can't see it going on right now, or would not know it if we did. I doubt that God or a supreme being is like our belief systems say he is. There is likely a barrier between us and the rest of the Universe. Astrophysicists are now saying that humans can only see about 5% of what exists. Those who won't understand, do so of their own free will.
Can you explain how electron entanglement is related to God? Its now quite possible to create entangled objects in the lab. We know how to make them and study their properties on a regular basis. Can you clarify what this has to do with God?
Spooky quantum entanglement goes big in new experiments

Physicist Mika Sillanpää and colleagues entangled the motion of two vibrating aluminum sheets, each 15 micrometers in diameter — a few times the thickness of spider silk. And physicist Sungkun Hong and colleagues performed a similar feat with 15-micrometer-long beams made of silicon, which expand and contract in width in a section of the beam. Both teams report their results in the April 26 Nature.

“It’s a first demonstration of entanglement over these artificial mechanical systems,” says Hong, of the University of Vienna. Previously, scientists had entangled vibrations in two diamonds that were macroscopic, meaning they were visible (or nearly visible) to the naked eye. But this is the first time entanglement has been seen in macroscopic structures constructed by humans, which can be designed to meet particular technological requirements.

i am fully aware about the hypothesis regarding the existence of dark matter, that matter particles that are invisible as they do not absorb, emit or reflect light. But astronomers can clearly observe their gravitational effects on galaxies when they look into the universe. Here is but one example of how this form of matter is detected via its gravitational effect that follows Einsteins laws of general relativity.
Hubble Highlights — Shining a Light on Dark Matter
How Gravitational Lensing Shows Us Dark Matter! | ScienceBlogs
So what specifically is here that is relevant to the God question?