• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quakers and Marriage?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Questions for y'all

Does either family or the woman or man pay a dowry?

Is intermarriage between faiths allowed?

Age allowed to marry?

Engagements?

Is Pre-Martial Sex Allowed?

How is Marriage defined (man and man, woman and woman, man and woman)?

Is marriage required?

Is divorce okay?

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
There are four distinct branches of Quakers (Friends), but no matter, I will attempt to provide an answer from each perspective:

Liberal Quakers (Friends):

1. No; Not applicable.
2. Yes, as most draw their faith from sources outside of Christianity as well.
3. Subject to secular law.
4. Permitted.
5. Subject to individual meeting and opinion.
6. Subject to individual meeting and opinion, though most suppport same-sex marriage.
7. No; Not applicable; Subject to individual meeting and opinion.
8. Subject to individual meeting and opinion, though I suspect most recognize that there are situations where divorce may be necessary.

Conservative Quakers (Friends):

1. No; Not applicable.
2. Uknown, though I suspect it is subject to individual meeting and opinion.
4. Permitted.
5. Subject to individual meeting and opinion, though I imagine a large number discourage it.
6. Generally defined as a union between one man and one woman, but is subject to individual meeting and opinion, nonetheless.
7. Seen as a better means of living together as a couple, most likely encouraged, but is still subject to individual meeting and opinion.
8. Most likely discouraged, but is still subject to individual meeting and opinion. I suspect most recognize that there are situations where divorce may be necessary.

Pastoral Quakers (Friends):

1. No; Not applicable.
2. No; Discouraged, but generally permitted to wed Christians outside of the Pastoral Quaker 'schism.'
4. Permitted.
5. No; Discouraged.
6. Defined as a union between one man and one woman, though there may be some disagreement.
7. Encouraged and required.
8. Discouraged, but is still subject to individual meeting and opinion.

Evangelical Quakers (Friends):

1. No; Not applicable.
2. No; Discouraged, but generally permitted to wed Christians outside of the Evangelical Quaker 'schism.'
4. Permitted.
5. No; Discouraged.
6. Defined as a union between one man and one woman.
7. Encouraged and required.
8. Discouraged.

I should mention that in light of question number one, wedding rings are customary. Some 'plain-observing' Quakers may or may not come up with some sort of substitute. i.e. china.

If I am wrong about anything here, I sincerely apologize. Please feel free to correct me.