• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quaker Question

Doc

Space Chief
He promoted simple living, and the prohibition of alcohol. He spoke against holidays, sports, theater, wigs, jewelry, etc
(religioustolerance.org)

Is this true of most/all quakers?

ayani

hey Doc-

great question! thank you. in the early days, Quakers were pretty darn puritanical, avoiding things like sports, plays, alcohol. anything seen as not being simple in garb or lifestyle was discouraged as being vain and too worldly.

today, the rules have relaxed some. while the ideal is still simplicity, Quakers are allowed to wear jewelery and see movies and play sports. however, the key is moderation, and avoidance of vanity. in my meeting, at least.

as for alcohol, i think that some Quakers drink, while others do not. again, the ideal is moderation, especially with something as potentially dangerous as alcohol.

Doc

Space Chief
Thank you! You have shown again what a true representitive of your faith you are!

ayani

:D :glomp:

hey, can i ask a qustion? i've noticed you've stated that you're christian, and yet your avatar is a little buddha. are you kind of a spiritual hybrid?

Doc

Space Chief
Sort of!:) I have confused quite a few people by saying I am Chrstian, having a Buddha avatar, and my listed religion is Gandhian. I admire the teachings of the Buddha and the Christ. Many of their teachings were similar. (Give up unecessary possessions) Gandhi did something similar. He was Hindu but admired Chrstianity, Islam, etc...Since I love studying all religions, you could say I am spiritual hybrid.:)

ayani

neat! i have a good friend who's been a Buddhist Catholic and is now a Baha'i.

sounds like you're on a great path, Doc!

Lloyd

gracie said:
neat! i have a good friend who's been a Buddhist Catholic and is now a Baha'i.

sounds like you're on a great path, Doc!
The funny thing about Quakers is that they're actually a radical branch off of the English Puritans. They were just as hardcore about sex, drugs, and rock and roll, they were just also as hard-core about such inconsequential things as forgiveness, simplicity, living for God, etc.

I want to meet this Buddhist Catholic who is now a Baha'i. I'm not sure I've ever met such a person. Now that its summer I have nothing else to do but read a questionably translated copy of the Qur'an I got from a friend at school.

Hi, Grace