• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quake 1

Think I should?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If I don't mind the graphics, but am not too overly familiar with Quake in terms of actually playing it... should I buy the "newly released" Quake 1 for Nintendo Switch, which is $10?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Ohh...
A woman after my own heart! I love Quake!

If I was you, I'd play or watch let's play of the retro games first and compare to the new version.

Honestly I'm leery of new games today with some exceptions like remasters. In short I'd definitely play Quake 1 again. Nothing beats the classics as long as changes don't ruin it.

I don't have a switch but I do have my old Quakes plus the VR version of Quake.

I'd personally look at how much deviation is present and compare the two before making a commitment.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Just play it. Quake and Doom are still two of the best shooters ever made. Star Wars Dark Forces is also pretty good, and basically what you get when you replace demons with Storm troopers.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Ohh...
A woman after my own heart! I love Quake!

If I was you, I'd play or watch let's play of the retro games first and compare to the new version.

Honestly I'm leery of new games today with some exceptions like remasters.

I don't have a switch but I do have my old Quakes plus the VR version of Quake.

I'd personally look at how much deviation is present and compare the two before making a commitment.

I think it's actually a remaster.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I used to play a lot of Quake in my youth, but I played QuakeWorld deathmatches online for the most part. There was a lot of good deathmatch mods for Quake as well like Painkeep. I also used to make levels for Quake using QED, which was a fun way for me to craft deathmatch maps for me to play with my friends.

As for the single player, ehhh... The N64 had a good adaptation for the game with atmospheric music and improved GL graphics, but ultimately the game is a mindless shooter. It gets repetitive. I don't know how good the console version on the switch is, but the lack of mods from the community would make the game suffer. Some of the mods were really good on the PC, like Future vs. Fantasy. The base game is kind of bland without having access to those.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I've been reading more about the Switch game. It's the Nintendo 64 version at 60 frames per second. It has mod support, but I'm not sure how that works in this case.

Jeremiah Ames

Just play it. Quake and Doom are still two of the best shooters ever made. Star Wars Dark Forces is also pretty good, and basically what you get when you replace demons with Storm troopers.

I must agree here.
Good picks.

Yes, I love video games, so shoot me. ;)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I must agree here.
Good picks.

Yes, I love video games, so shoot me. ;)
I like older games. Like Quake and Doom. I think they're fun, especially with multiplayer. Halo, however, I think ruined shooters and was a major step down from Golden Eye and Perfect Dark. Quake 3 Team Arena was a great multiplayer shooter. Call of Duty sucks.