• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Qatari sociologist blames plastic surgery, blasphemy, homosexuals for Beirut blast in expletive-fill

Piculet

There simply is no Islamic view on this.
This is what's called denial.
I did not say that he is diverting attention from the explosion, I said he wants to divert attention from unsafe storage conditions
Big dif :rolleyes:
Either way whether he wants to or not he is diverting attention from those conditions to the people he doesn't like,
Do you like public panic? What is the reason you need the Lebanese to concentrate on "unsafe storage conditions"? Does it help the homeless? Has it been proven the reason for the explosion was simply "unsafe storage conditions"?

He's not talking about "people he doesn't like". He's talking about sin. He's talking very generally as well so surprises me anyone would be upset by it. Would you bring it up if he was a Christian?

What you have a problem with seems to be Islam, this article being an excuse to bring it up without making any actual argument.
I think that's precisely what makes it newsworthy, the fact that certain Muslims don't even find such disturbing opinions unusual.
About 80% of the Lebanese think homosexuality should be rejected by society.

danieldemol

Premium Member
This is what's called denial.
Big dif :rolleyes:

Do you like public panic? What is the reason you need the Lebanese to concentrate on "unsafe storage conditions"? Does it help the homeless? Has it been proven the reason for the explosion was simply "unsafe storage conditions"?
Does blaming homosexuals etc help the homeless or are you just being daft?
As for the cause, I don't know if it is proven or not, but "Lebanon's Prime Minister, Hassan Diab, blamed the detonation on 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate that he said had been stored unsafely at a warehouse in the port."1
It is not I who need Lebanese people to concentrate on the unsafe storage conditions, it is the Lebanese people themselves who need to concentrate on it, so they can prevent a repeat occurence happening if there is any other ammonium nitrate stored unsafely near centres of population.

Would you bring it up if he was a Christian?
Not if he was a no account, but if he was a sociologist whose views where plastered all over social media and the news I sure would. I'm not a Christian so why wouldn't I?

Then 80% of lebanese are wrong.
1 Source: What we know about the Beirut explosion

Piculet

Does blaming homosexuals etc help the homeless or are you just being daft?
He didn't "blame homosexuals". If you listened to his speech, regarding homosexuals he said, "Lebanon is famous for the prevalence of sodomy and the abundance of homosexuals in it." that's it. That's all he said regarding it. He also said in the beginning, ".. This might be the reason..." did you notice that?

Does it help the homeless to reject homosexuality? Yes. Because they are obeying Allah and that is good for them. If they disobey Allah, what do they expect to happen to them? What hope do they have?
so they can prevent a repeat occurence happening if there is any other ammonium nitrate stored unsafely near centres of population.
The only one able to prevent that is Allah. If they hope for security and success, they should obey Allah. That's the best thing they can do. Preventive measures to ensure safety in day-to-day life is secondary. It should be done, but it is secondary, does not prevent any catastrophe if Allah wants a catastrophe to befall them and it is obvious those preventive measures would be taken. What complaints do you have for what the officials in Lebanon (they handle this matter btw, not the common citizens) are doing now? Do you know what they're doing and know that there's something wrong?

eik

Does blaming Then 80% of lebanese are wrong.
1 Source: What we know about the Beirut explosion
It's not for you to say who is wrong and who is right.

It seems that there is endemic corruption in Lebanon, and this likely extends to the official religious bodies, both Christian and Muslim. What one must hope is that good (i.e. the overthrow of a corrupt political system and class) will come from evil here.

Luke 13:1 "At that time some of those present told Jesus about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. 2To this He replied, “Do you think that these Galileans were worse sinners than all the other Galileans, because they suffered this fate? 3No, I tell you. But unless you repent, you too will all perish.…"

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I don't know. Those were not all the problems he mentioned though.

Let's phrase it in more generic words.

Do you believe the blast is a punishment for any behaviour at all by Allah?

Or is it rather the result of being so dumb to stockpiling such amounts of explosive materials all in one place?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It seems like it to me. What do you see?

The same thing I see when some American pastor blames gay marriage for some hurricane.
Or how back in the day others blamed the end of apartheid or "mixed race children" for some earthquake or whatever.

So, what I see is a homophobic, bigotted piece of droppings that will seize any opportunity to spread a message of hate and intolerance.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
First of all, what he's saying shows he has at least some education on islam — which is what he's speaking about. Secondly, if he wasn't, the point is what he's saying. Focusing on his profession seems like purposeful deviation from the point he's making.

Which is a point of hate, intolerance, homophobia and bigotry. And by calling him a "sociologist", it seems to be no more then an attempt of disguising that message of hate as if it is an academic conlusion instead of just pure hate.

It's kind of how cdesign proponentsists try to disguise their fundamentalist creationism in a labcoat.
Or how Kent Hovind tries to do the same by calling himself a "doctor".

It's, in other words, a pathetic attempt at pretending that the hate and nonsense they spew has some kind of academic legitimacy.

Not to mention how your comment — if it had any logic to it — would indicate someone with a profession valued in a society, should automatically be wiser than those without such a profession.

Well.... when a medical doctor makes statements about health, that person surely automatically is taken more serious then when a car mechanic does it..................................

It's called appeal to expertise.
Calling yourself a doctor while you aren't, is dishonestly trying to add the weight of expertise to your statements, while in reality you have no expertise at all.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
It's not a personal opinion — at least not as a whole. Personally, I could not care less about anybody's education in a case like this. It is simply irrelevant. What you can't face, is that what he says, from the Islamic point of view, is true. It must be the fact that he's attacking your values of plastic surgery, eye-brow plucking, sodomy and cursing, that bothers you.

Trust me. Most of us are very aware of how Islam's point of view concerning these things, is a point of view founded in intolerance, homophobia, misogyny, etc.

This is the case in all abrahamic religions. It just so happens that muslims (in this day and age anyway) tend to be a lot more radical about it then others.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Could be your news source is extremely biased and just wanted to make a case against Islam and needs to turn over stones to find things like these

LOL!!!

Ow my... Newsflash: one really doesn't need to search hard to find bigotry like this in the islamic world. Displays of intolerance like this are daily business.

I'ld say that the reason this one made it to the news is because of the additional shocking ingredients of hijacking this tragedy to use it as a vessel to spread such hatefull nonsense.

It's not like they actually require such events in order to spread messages of hate and homophobia.

Like in the US, pastors are ranting and raving against gay marriage every sunday.
The one that makes it on the news is the one who then hijacks some devastating hurricane or earthquake and blames gays for it.

Homophobia is bad enough by itself. But it's such a common occurance within abrahamic religious communities that nobody even bothers anymore reporting on it. But doing things like hijacking traggedie and use it as a vessal to spread such inhuman messages of hate, pulls it to a whole new level of despicability.

To the point of it being like killing the victims all over again.

I wonder why they don't quote religious scholars saying similar things? Why choose the "sociologist"?

See above, I just explained it.
Because hate and intolerance are so common in those circles that it isn't even newsworthy anymore.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What is the reason you need the Lebanese to concentrate on "unsafe storage conditions"?

....to prevent such traggedies from taking place again..... derp-di-derp-derp.

Which is also why this "sociologist's" statements are extra dangerous... it implies that the "gays" are to blame and not the idiot ways of stockpiling tons of explosive material in one place in the middle of a big city.

If people run with that "explanation", then they will have learned nothing and will continue engaging in such morronic practices.

In my world, a fool is someone who makes a mistake and then doesn't learn from it.

Does it help the homeless? Has it been proven the reason for the explosion was simply "unsafe storage conditions"?

Tons of highly explosive material in the middle of the capital. How morronic can it get?
One fire and BOOM. Do you need a drawing?

Would you bring it up if he was a Christian?

Yes. In fact I already did, by comparing him to the idiot pastors in the US who blame devastating earthquakes and hurricanes on gay marriage.

What you have a problem with seems to be Islam, this article being an excuse to bring it up without making any actual argument.

I certainly have problems with any and all beliefs systems that come with messages of hate and intolerance - be it religious or not. You should to.

Uhu. That's what happens when you indoctrinate people from birth onwards into belief systems that include messages of hate and intolerance.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
He didn't "blame homosexuals". If you listened to his speech, regarding homosexuals he said, "Lebanon is famous for the prevalence of sodomy and the abundance of homosexuals in it." that's it. That's all he said regarding it. He also said in the beginning, ".. This might be the reason..." did you notice that?

That IS blaming homosexuality for it....... it implies that homosexuality was the cause. Derp.

Does it help the homeless to reject homosexuality? Yes.

No.

Because they are obeying Allah and that is good for them. If they disobey Allah, what do they expect to happen to them? What hope do they have?
Societal health indexes of nations that live by "obbeying" allah compared to nations that don't, seems to suggest the exact opposite.

The only one able to prevent that is Allah. If they hope for security and success, they should obey Allah.

Yeah, just look at the CEO of Apple. Allah clearly punished him by not providing him with security and success... :rolleyes:

Piculet

And by calling him a "sociologist", it seems to be no more then an attempt of disguising that message of hate as if it is an academic conlusion instead of just pure hate.
I guess I just don't place that many expectations on people who happen to be sociologists, doctors, scientists or ministers. If you insist on making things complicated...
It's, in other words, a pathetic attempt at pretending that the hate and nonsense they spew has some kind of academic legitimacy.
Do you actually know if he labled himself a sociologist when publishing the video or if it was just the title of the article? It'd be fair to be sure before you go on bashing him over it.
Calling yourself a doctor while you aren't, is dishonestly trying to add the weight of expertise to your statements, while in reality you have no expertise at all.
Yes, but how about a doctor telling you how to build a house?
ld say that the reason this one made it to the news is because of the additional shocking ingredients of hijacking this tragedy to use it as a vessel to spread such hatefull nonsense.
That's a good point, but I'm sure this is not the first or the last time someone speaks openly about the possible connection between sin and distruction in a Muslim country. And only cowardice would stop someone from doing that.
. it implies that the "gays" are to blame
Either you didn't listen the video or you're being deceptive. Homosexuality is only one of the things he mentioned.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I guess I just don't place that many expectations on people who happen to be sociologists, doctors, scientists or ministers. If you insist on making things complicated...

Off course you do....
This is why you go to see a medical doctor when you have a nasty cough instead of your car mechanic or your accountant.

Do you actually know if he labled himself a sociologist when publishing the video or if it was just the title of the article? It'd be fair to be sure before you go on bashing him over it.

I don't know. The result is pretty much the same though.

Yes, but how about a doctor telling you how to build a house?

False analogy.
Building a house has no relation to medical fields. So being a doctor is irrelevant in that case.

A correct analogy would be telling someone how to build a house while pretending to be an architect while not actually being an architect.

That's a good point, but I'm sure this is not the first or the last time someone speaks openly about the possible connection between sin and distruction in a Muslim country

Off course. Such bigotry is daily business.

And only cowardice would stop someone from doing that.

Or being reasonable, rational and humane.

Either you didn't listen the video or you're being deceptive. Homosexuality is only one of the things he mentioned.

It goes for the other things as well. It's intolerance and bigotry all the way down. And up.
It's despicable. There isn't any connection between the blast and any of the things mentioned.

It's just pure biogotry and hijacking of a tragedy to use it as a vessel to spread hate and intolerance.
It's inexcusable, shamefull, inhuman, despicable, digusting,.... And it's also dangerous as it completely ignores the real cause, which if followed, sets up the country for it to happen again.

As I said: a fool is someone who makes a mistake and then doesn't learn from it.

Last edited:

eik

Yes it is, the only thing required for evil to triumph is that good men say and do nothing
Your definition of evil is not necessarily the bible's. Why should we accept your definition of evil? If one adds the Christian and Muslim world populations together, as compared to Baha'is, you're in a very small minority with your views.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Your definition of evil is not necessarily the bible's. Why should we accept your definition of evil? If one adds the Christian and Muslim world populations together, as compared to Baha'is, you're in a very small minority with your views.
I'm not a Baha'i, I'm a liberal, and nice ad-populum fallacy there.

We should accept evil as defined by moderns who have more accumulated knowledge and reasoning than the primitive ancient men who wrote the Bible and claimed it was infallibly of God had access to.