• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Python video games

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
So I decided to investigate whether it's better to make a video game using the simplest of computer programming languages, Python vs. the simplest of game creation softwares. Game creation softwares are full systems, these days often written in a fast language, which use easy scripting languages and are full systems often including image editors, etc, and not requiring much compiling time. The kitchen sink of game development. And they do often cost actual money as well - the game creation softwares do.

Okay so like I said, these game creation softwares are written in fast languages these days to remain competitive. I had the theory however that the game code has to be interpreted more times through these systems than with easy computer languages, creating performance as slow as an easy language like Python. I did some research and it's not exact science, but going by other people's reports, both the easy language and the full game creation suite can handle a similar number of max objects producing similar performance. Potentially confirming my theory. In such a case, we must investigate other positives and negatives for a complete comparison.

One thing I have noticed is that in fast-moving 2D games, I will say "a high-resolution Sonic game" for example, I believe you do sometimes experience things like screen-tearing in game creation softwares even with Vsync on, somehow, and problems like that, therefore I feel it's more professional to have a game not produced in this way. Less unfixable problems, more control. So I peg that as a Python positive.

Now for a positive of game creation softwares. While not every manifestation of Python has programmable shaders set up by default and it may be easier not to (you can also use shaders on 2D games, yes, if they are written for 2D games), a lot of game creation softwares do have them these days. Shaders can create effects like real-time gaussian blur and motion blur and reflections without you having to make them in an image editor, but they will slow down your game further, possibly halfing the performance. Shader codes are short codes which quite often, get ran every pixel. GPU's are designed to handle it, but it still slows things down.

I'm not actually going to name the Game Creation softwares I've been testing so as to not harm their advertising opportunities and revenue and making a black sheep image for them, but you can get a picture from my post. I don't think this opinion is harmful otherwise though as it kind of reflects conventional wisdom developers used to express years ago.

nPeace

Veteran Member
So I decided to investigate whether it's better to make a video game using the simplest of computer programming languages, Python vs. the simplest of game creation softwares. Game creation softwares are full systems, these days often written in a fast language, which use easy scripting languages and are full systems often including image editors, etc, and not requiring much compiling time. The kitchen sink of game development. And they do often cost actual money as well - the game creation softwares do.

Okay so like I said, these game creation softwares are written in fast languages these days to remain competitive. I had the theory however that the game code has to be interpreted more times through these systems than with easy computer languages, creating performance as slow as an easy language like Python. I did some research and it's not exact science, but going by other people's reports, both the easy language and the full game creation suite can handle a similar number of max objects producing similar performance. Potentially confirming my theory. In such a case, we must investigate other positives and negatives for a complete comparison.

One thing I have noticed is that in fast-moving 2D games, I will say "a high-resolution Sonic game" for example, I believe you do sometimes experience things like screen-tearing in game creation softwares even with Vsync on, somehow, and problems like that, therefore I feel it's more professional to have a game not produced in this way. Less unfixable problems, more control. So I peg that as a Python positive.

Now for a positive of game creation softwares. While not every manifestation of Python has programmable shaders set up by default and it may be easier not to (you can also use shaders on 2D games, yes, if they are written for 2D games), a lot of game creation softwares do have them these days. Shaders can create effects like real-time gaussian blur and motion blur and reflections without you having to make them in an image editor, but they will slow down your game further, possibly halfing the performance. Shader codes are short codes which quite often, get ran every pixel. GPU's are designed to handle it, but it still slows things down.

I'm not actually going to name the Game Creation softwares I've been testing so as to not harm their advertising opportunities and revenue and making a black sheep image for them, but you can get a picture from my post. I don't think this opinion is harmful otherwise though as it kind of reflects conventional wisdom developers used to express years ago.
From what you are looking for, I think programming is probably your better option as it gives you full control, and allows you to avoid any glitches that may be found in game creation software.
However, nowadays many choose the game engines because they are quicker. One can get a game up and running in a matter of minutes.

Everyone though, has a program language they consider "the simplest", and they are all different.
What is your opinion of C#?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
From what you are looking for, I think programming is probably your better option as it gives you full control, and allows you to avoid any glitches that may be found in game creation software.
However, nowadays many choose the game engines because they are quicker. One can get a game up and running in a matter of minutes.

Everyone though, has a program language they consider "the simplest", and they are all different.
What is your opinion of C#?

C# is just okay. Not the hardest language.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam

Have you tried getting a look at Defold ? It's free and you can easily get professionnal looking games (well it IS a professional game engine :D)

With the lots of updates those past year, Unity for 2D is not bad either.

I'm only expérienced in 3D games so I can't help much but those two engines would be a good start to look at

Only games I know with Python are Civilisation and the Sims :0 I don't know if making a sidescrolling 2D game is worth it in Python... There are much more easier choices

nPeace

Veteran Member
C# is just okay. Not the hardest language.
Just okay?
Somehow I find it easier than Python, but perhaps that may be because I have been using it in recent times, and I haven't used Python in "eons".
I found lite-C to be extremely easy.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Vanakkam

Have you tried getting a look at Defold ? It's free and you can easily get professionnal looking games (well it IS a professional game engine :D)

With the lots of updates those past year, Unity for 2D is not bad either.

I'm only expérienced in 3D games so I can't help much but those two engines would be a good start to look at

Only games I know with Python are Civilisation and the Sims :0 I don't know if making a sidescrolling 2D game is worth it in Python... There are much more easier choices
When it comes to 2D, there are so many game making programs to choose from. It's hard to know what to pick.
I agree with you though on your last statement.

I used Python with Panda3D, and it was a lot of code, but maybe that's because I was learning.