• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Putin consolidates power. Russian government resigns.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I had a theory that Putin wanted to reunify the Russian government into a new USSR.

Putin consolidates power as Russian government resigns

Today it seems to be headed in that direction another notch.

What do u think? Do you think Putin is attempting to reclaim the former glory and power of the old USSR?
No. I think he wants to be Emperor Vladimir I of the Putin Dynasty of the new Russian Empire. I doubt that he lets ideology get in the way of extending and consolidating his control over the government and economy of the country...and beyond...

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No. I think he wants to be Emperor Vladimir I of the Putin Dynasty of the new Russian Empire. I doubt that he lets ideology get in the way of extending and consolidating his control over the government and economy of the country...and beyond...
From what I'm hearing, their Constitution has been dismantled and now being rewritten.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't see much of a difference between what Putin is doing and what the USSR did outside of the difference between state capitalism and ownership of business by oligarchs. So I agree with @beenherebeforeagain

To me Putin is all about holding power so I'm utterly not surprised at this development including rewriting their Constitution to allow him to maintain power.

shmogie

I had a theory that Putin wanted to reunify the Russian government into a new USSR.

Putin consolidates power as Russian government resigns

Today it seems to be headed in that direction another notch.

What do u think? Do you think Putin is attempting to reclaim the former glory and power of the old USSR?
He may be, but he doesn't have the tools to pull it off. A tiny economy and corruption filled robber barons as the ruling class are pretty pitiful things to build an empire out of.

epronovost

A tiny economy and corruption filled robber barons as the ruling class are pretty pitiful things to build an empire out of.

The economy of Russia isn't that small. It has the 11th highest GDP in the world and ranks pretty much in the middle of the pack when it comes to GDP per capita. A corrupt ruler class of robber barons is pretty much a pre-requisite to build an Empire.

I'm intrigued by Putin's move right now though. He seems to aim to reduce the power of the presidency by removing his power to nominate the Prime Minister and make it an position elected by the Duma. I wonder where he is going with that?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
according to Investopedia:

11. Russia
Russia Nominal GDP: $1.64 trillion Russia GDP (PPP): $4.21 trillion

Russia, the largest country on Earth in terms of landmass, is the 11th-largest economy in the world, with a nominal GDP of $1.63 trillion. Russia moves up the ladder to the sixth spot for rankings, with a $4.21 trillion GDP based on PPP.

The 1990s were a rough period for its economy, since it inherited a devastated industrial and agricultural sector along with the fundamentals of a centrally planned economy. During the next decade, Russia witnessed growth at a healthy pace of 7%. However, this growth was led by the commodity boom.

The dependence of the Russian economy on oil was exposed during the 2008–2009 global financial crisis and eventually again in 2014. The situation worsened with the imposition of sanctions by the West. The economy contracted by 0.2% in 2016, however, it rebounded with a 1.5% growth in 2017. IMF projects a growth of 1.7% and 1.5% during 2018 and 2019, respectively.

Much smaller than the US, yes, but that doesn't keep people from eyeing the top place and trying to find ways to get there...

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I wonder: why is Putin considered a hero to venere by European Nationalists?
Because he is the only one who openly defends Christian Europe.
His is not power-hunger...it is a mission.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think he's trying to make Trump even more jealous than he already is.

Trump envies Putin.png

Last edited:

epronovost

I wonder: why is Putin considered a hero to venere by European Nationalists?
Because he is the only one who openly defends Christian Europe.
His is not power-hunger...it is a mission.

Tyrants have always used religious sentiment or even direct association with the Church to legitimise their power. Religion provides them with a perfect tool to calm the poorest and most oppressed people by making them believe they actually have something to lose; legitimize the idea of a top down hierarchical order that cannot be questionned; it also provides long accepted scapegoats in case of problem. You're a Christian country in trouble? Blame the jews, the muslims, another sect of Christians, non-believers, pagans, upity women, members of the LGBTQ community or any combination of the above. The fact there is a long tradition of oppression of these people makes it easier to make acceptable again when things go wrong and it doesn't look as blatantly dictatorial and power-hungry than blamming political opponents.

PureX

Veteran Member
Fascism, under the guise of neo-conservatism, has been on the rise all around the world. Putin is finding this all to his liking, as he has always been a dictator-at-heart, and is now seeing the doorway to his ambitions opening up. And the U.S. certainly isn't going to stop him. We've become our own worst enemy, with serious fascist leanings and wanna-be dictators of our own.