• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Put on your oven mitts folks, you are going to need them:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
So the film consists of a handful of fundamentalist Christians bashing science and scientists.

*shrug*

I suspect it'll have about the same impact as all other creationist movies. :rolleyes:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
i wonder if the folks in that video are sincere or are hucksters?
That's a question that's been debated in science advocacy circles for decades....do creationist leaders really believe what they're saying and that their arguments are solid and valid? Or are they just duping the ignorant and gullible for their own gains?

I tend to be of the mind that in most cases, they really do believe they are presenting irrefutable arguments.

One should never underestimate the human capability for self-delusion.

Skwim

Veteran Member
That's a question that's been debated in science advocacy circles for decades....do creationist leaders really believe what they're saying and that their arguments are solid and valid? Or are they just duping the ignorant and gullible for their own gains?

I tend to be of the mind that in most cases, they really do believe they are presenting irrefutable arguments.

Or greed.
animated-money-image-0054.gif

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

I think that in the case of Kent Hovind that he truly believes. He appears to be rather severely mentally impaired, with the one talent of an ability to appeal to the ignorant. I have seem him fail to understand the simplest concepts in the sciences, even though others have tried time after time to teach him those concepts. And his amazing incompetence in his own defense for his tax evasion charges appear to confirm this lack of intelligence. If it was just a show he would have realized that the IRS does not play chicken. He would have made an agreement and avoided prison time. Of course Kent is not above profiting from the lack of education of his followers. He is on a mission from God after all:confused:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
What the Hell? It was recognized as a pioneering book on the mechanics of water and that's all it was about. It was understandable to different levels.

Again, what the hell?
Recognized by whom? I browsed through the parts that could be read for free and it appears I was correct in my earlier assessment.

Real pioneering work is not released as a popular book. A real scholar submits his work for peer review where other experts in the field can either refute or confirm it. His work appears to fit in the class of "not even wrong".

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Recognized by whom? I browsed through the parts that could be read for free and it appears I was correct in my earlier assessment.

Real pioneering work is not released as a popular book. A real scholar submits his work for peer review where other experts in the field can either refute or confirm it. His work appears to fit in the class of "not even wrong".
Look, Subduction Zone:

I'm sorry for losing my temper. This book covers the properties of water and air exhaustively. Calculus is not covered, but again it is really exhaustive. The Calculus can be inferred.

It fits as a book because it has too many aspects for a paper, OK? If you read the book, I promise you'll be impressed. And thank you for not continuing your diatribe that it is spiritual because there's not a spiritual sentence in the whole book.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Look, Subduction Zone:

I'm sorry for losing my temper. This book covers the properties of water and air exhaustively. Calculus is not covered, but again it is really exhaustive. The Calculus can be inferred.

It fits as a book because it has too many aspects for a paper, OK? If you read the book, I promise you'll be impressed. And thank you for not continuing your diatribe that it is spiritual because there's not a spiritual sentence in the whole book.

You have not been able to support your claims. But then, when one has nothing one waves his hands. And you clearly did not read the forward of that book.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
You have not been able to support your claims. But then, when one has nothing one waves his hands. And you clearly did not read the forward of that book.
OK I read the forward, and yes it does talk about spiritual nature of water. But that is not in the main content of the book. The main portion of the book is clearly about water science.

It says on the front insert:

"Theodore Schwenk (1910-1986) was a pioneer in water research. He founded the Institute for Flow Science for the scientific study of water's movement and its life-promoting forces. A prolific writer and lecturer, he contributed original insights to the production of homeopathic and anthroposophic medicines, developed 'drop-pictures' for analyzing water quality and methods for healing polluted and 'dead' water.

I'm going to make this simple Subduction Zone:

Do you believe that animal bones have perforations that match the directions water would flow through them if they were liquid?

If yes, how do you explain it?
If no, how do you back that up?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
OK I read the forward, and yes it does talk about spiritual nature of water. But that is not in the main content of the book. The main portion of the book is clearly about water science.

It says on the front insert:

"Theodore Schwenk (1910-1986) was a pioneer in water research. He founded the Institute for Flow Science for the scientific study of water's movement and its life-promoting forces. A prolific writer and lecturer, he contributed original insights to the production of homeopathic and anthroposophic medicines, developed 'drop-pictures' for analyzing water quality and methods for healing polluted and 'dead' water.

I'm going to make this simple Subduction Zone:

Do you believe that animal bones have perforations that match the directions water would flow through them if they were liquid?

If yes, how do you explain it?
If no, how do you back that up?
you are trying to shift the burden of proof. You made the claim about holes in bones. You need to support it. Meanwhile I am totally ignorant about what holes he is talking about. I do not know of any. You need a concrete example before you can ask for an opinion.

And I almost missed your claim of homeopathy. You don't realize it but you just admitted that he is merely a peddler of woo.

Audie

Veteran Member
Why would you?

My first response is like, why wouldnt you?
I am not into just believing and accepting things.

I dont know what exactly he was claiming, or what
significance you find in it.

Perhaps you could say.;

I looked up the book it appears to be mostly a kind of
picture book, marvels of nature sort of thing.

What point do you / does he wish to make about his book, and, this things re moving water and bones?

Audie

Veteran Member
you are trying to shift the burden of proof. You made the claim about holes in bones. You need to support it. Meanwhile I am totally ignorant about what holes he is talking about. I do not know of any. You need a concrete example before you can ask for an opinion.

And I almost missed your claim of homeopathy. You don't realize it but you just admitted that he is merely a peddler of woo.

There are foramnes, and a lot of bones are hollow.

The thing about moving water, tho, is pretty obscure.
I'd like an explanation too.

You also missed Anthroposophy is the philosophy founded by Rudolf Steiner that postulates the existence of an objective, intellectually comprehensible spiritual world, accessible to human experience through inner development.

So, sure, the guy is a woomeister.

BUT, that does not mean, as you suggest (ad hom, tsk tsk)
that all of his work is bunk.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Alright. Homeopathy is pseudo-science.