• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

purpose of religion

Hello friends. Is the purpose of religion to develop character in individuals? For example, in the Bible it teaches to be Holy and grow in holiness and also in the Tao Te Ching we have the three treasures which teach us to develop virtues.

David1967

Premium Member
To try to find answers to our purpose and place in the scheme of things. To try and define and connect to the creator. IMHO anyway.

blue taylor

The only purpose of religion is to gain converts and increase revenues. If you take the money out of religion - no religion.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hello friends. Is the purpose of religion to develop character in individuals? For example, in the Bible it teaches to be Holy and grow in holiness and also in the Tao Te Ching we have the three treasures which teach us to develop virtues.

The purpose of religion is actions.

It is the foundation and structure of our morals, values, who we relate to, why. It is the "practice" of who we are by what we feel defines us as a human being.

Religion is a practice because there are service, rituals, ans things we do to worship, revere, find importance in, find innerself, whatever. The definition in and of itself doesnt involve god or The Buddha.

Its a lifestyle. A relationship with life.

We make divisions. We convert. We displace other people.

Religion doesnt do that. If we are truely living a healthy spiritual lifestyle (religion), there are no "catholic vs protestant" or straight vs gay, white vs black. Its unity among diversity.

If you go against equality, then I feel youre not practicing religion. Maybe something self-centered. Something that makes you think you are not like "them". I dont know.

Thats not religion.

The purpose of religion is to live. When you have structure to your life, you have religion. When you actually practice what you believe, you are religious. When it changes your life, it becomes spiritual.

Thats personal growth. Regardless if we call it religion or not.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think religion is largely useful as a coping tool. It helps many people in ways to deal with difficult problems and issues conventionally even if the religion itself lacks substance in any real sense.

Sometimes I think people need a representative template in a form of a guide and/or hero. Its something I understand first hand.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
The original purpose of religion in a hunter-gatherer world was social cohesiveness, with the advent of agriculture and urbanization it became social control.

Nicholas Wade (writing in the New York Time' Week in Review) observes that: "... it may seem threatening to think that the mind has been shaped to believe in gods, since the actual existence of the divine may then seem less likely.

But the evolutionary perspective on religion does not necessarily threaten the central position of either side. That religious behavior was favored by natural selection neither proves nor disproves the existence of gods. For believers, if one accepts that evolution has shaped the human body, why not the mind too? What evolution has done is to endow people with a genetic predisposition to learn the religion of their community, just as they are predisposed to learn its language. With both religion and language, it is culture, not genetics, that then supplies the content of what is learned.
"

Here I part company with Wade. If there were, in fact, a supernatural guiding hand behind this religious predisposition, then why the many, many, many different belief systems?

The drive to "have a religion" is now genetically programmed, but overcomeable, like so may inherited behaviors. It served mankind well in the days of the hunter-gatherers when urban cultures developed the power elites turned humans' genetic programming against the population, solidifying their power over the masses as priests or living gods.

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I agree with Sapiens. Religion legitimizes the status quo, it keeps people in their place.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
I'm in recovery from alcohol addiction.
Personal growth is a key factor in recovery.
Some have said A.A. IS a religion since it is based on a Power
greater than the addict to recover from an "obsession of the mind
and an allergy of the body."
(an old way of describing addiction)
Most people in recovery choose to call the Higher Power, "God".
It's a simple and effective concept.
Recovering people don't debate what a higher power is.
Acceptance is key to recovery.
"We came, we came too, we came to believe."
Why mess that up with heady debates?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
That is a stage and part of the purpose of religion. I think the ultimate purpose is finding an eternal bliss and love not bothered by the events of the transient world.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello friends. Is the purpose of religion to develop character in individuals?

I wouldn't say it is "the" purpose, but it is "a" purpose. Certainly, such things are emphasized in my religion, as well as other forms of contemporary Paganism.

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you.
Quran stresses on Taqwa (righteousness) in various verses, e.g.
[7:27] O children of Adam! We have indeed sent down to you raiment to cover your shame, and to be an elegant dress; but the raiment of righteousness — that is the best. That is one of the Signs of Allah, that they may remember.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

I think religion developed for several purposes.

1) Cultural unity
2) Reinforcement of tribal mentality
3) To keep illogical immoral people in check.
4) Alleviate fear of the unknown
5) Alleviate fear of death
6) Provide a platform for societal authority
7) Make it easy to scapegoat other cultures

These are the top seven I can think of off the top of my head.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Found one link that suggests 33,000 Christian denominations.

"As defined here, world Christianity consists of 6 major ecclesiastico-cultural blocs, divided into 300 major ecclesiastical traditions,composed of over 33,000 distinct denominations in 238 countries, these denominations themselves being composed of over 3,400,000 worship centers, churches or congregations.”
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a106.htm

So which one is the "true Christian faith"?

The J.W.'s call their denomination "The Truth". A baptized J.W. is said to the
"in the Truth", meaning that they are part of a denomination that studies and
practices Biblical Truth.
Does that mean the J.W.s see ALL other Christian religions as false and part
of Satan's Word Wide organization?

A resounding YES!
J.W.'s refer to other religions, ALL other religions, not just Christian denominations,
as part of the "Harlot that rides the Beast". That means the "false religions and
ALL Earthly governments".

I've knew young adults that "took part in the World" that were booted out of the
denomination for doing horrible things like dating a person not "in the truth" or attending
a social event not approved by the Society, or VOTING in government elections,
or joining the military, becoming a police officer, and other "ordinary things".
One young man I knew quite well was drafted, served with distinction in the
Vietnam war, was a hero but got booted out of the religion, could attend services
but could not speak to others, even family, about religious topics.
I was never baptized but when I became a police officer I was made to feel
awful because I carried a gun to defend myself against those that would kill
me.
Before I became a policeman I had a J.W. Bible study and owned a few firearms
for hunting.
The person that I had a study with saw a gun and said that I had to burn them or
toss them in a river as J.W.'s could not own firearms.
Baloney. I learned that J.W.'s out west where hunting big game was a big deal,
hunted Mule Deer and Elk.
So much for injecting personal opinions into Scripture.

For me the purpose of the Christian religion is to become more "Christ like" though
we are imperfect and prone to fail.
Jesus said "love one another as I have loved you".
He said to the Roman Centurian "do violence to no man and be content with your
wages".
Jesus did not say "leave the Roman Army".