• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purpose and motivation behind the creation of religion

cladking

The consciousness' that created those religions were humans and we have a pretty good grasp on the psychology of humans.

Ah yes, the old we don't even know what consciousness is but we fully understand the finest workings of it argument.

Freud is smiling in his grave.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Ah yes, the old we don't even know what consciousness is but we fully understand the finest workings of it argument.

Freud is smiling in his grave.

Ah yes, the good old strawman and the ignoring of the rest of the post in order to post an intellectually dishonest response.

cladking

Ah yes, the good old strawman and the ignoring of the rest of the post in order to post an intellectually dishonest response.

And it's not like ancient pre-historic times were the only times that humans came up with new religions........
Plenty of religions were invented / expanded right before our eyes during our lifetime, as well as in the very recent past.

I didn't respond because you said ancient people had religion and there's probably no truth in this. All religions have been invented since the collapse of the tower of babel (2000 BC). There is no evidence for any older religion except interpretation of what translators say is incomprehensible gobbledty gook. Ancient people didn't have a word for "believe" or any abstractions. Cave writing suggests the same language was used world wide.

So your post is just beliefs and unsupportable statements. I simply chose to attack the most outrageous of your statements.

Modern people are highly superstitious and can be induced to believe anything at all. There are many motivations to invent new ideas and religions to control individuals or the masses. They are often founded on faith and are religions. Some are founded on soup of the day science.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I didn't respond because you said ancient people had religion and there's probably no truth in this.

upload_2022-5-9_21-28-52.png

I don't even know how to respond to something that silly.

All religions have been invented since the collapse of the tower of babel (2000 BC).

lol.....
Where was this tower? On Mount Olympus? :rolleyes:

There is no evidence for any older religion except interpretation of what translators say is incomprehensible gobbledty gook. Ancient people didn't have a word for "believe" or any abstractions. Cave writing suggests the same language was used world wide.

What the H are you babbling about.

So your post is just beliefs and unsupportable statements. I simply chose to attack the most outrageous of your statements.

Yes, yes.... *I* am making outrageous statements. o_Oo_O:eek::D:D

I can no longer take you seriously.

cladking

Yes, yes.... *I* am making outrageous statements.

I didn't say they were outrageous. I said they were unsupportable.

Why do you insist on parsing my words so they are nonsensical?

I know you won't answer and I already know.

Where was this tower? On Mount Olympus?

Mebbe Meidum?

I've gotta leave one or two mysteries for other people to solve.

What the H are you babbling about.

Unsupportable.

Nobody even claims to be able to understand ancient writing. No linguist, no translator claims to be able to understand. In only the last 20years I and 5 or 6 others claim to understand it. The irony is our interpretations are not really mutually exclusive. There's some chance we're all correct. The difference is I can see details in the meaning.

The first recorded religious writing is the Dead Sea Scrolls but these are apparently derived at least indirectly from earlier writing that might or might not be religious. Some of the post-babel Indian writing might be religious in nature but I'm not familiar with it. Of course, Sumerian dates back even earlier.

gnostic

The Lost One
I didn't respond because you said ancient people had religion and there's probably no truth in this. All religions have been invented since the collapse of the tower of babel (2000 BC). There is no evidence for any older religion except interpretation of what translators say is incomprehensible gobbledty gook. Ancient people didn't have a word for "believe" or any abstractions. Cave writing suggests the same language was used world wide.

Modern people are highly superstitious and can be induced to believe anything at all. There are many motivations to invent new ideas and religions to control individuals or the masses. They are often founded on faith and are religions. Some are founded on soup of the day science.

More circular reasoning.

Still using the nonexistent Tower of Babel argument.

I really think you should look in the mirror when it comes to your claims - “superstitious”, unsupportable statements”...and yes, “incomprehensible gobbledty gook” too.

It is funny how you argue that today’s sciences being based on religion and superstitions, and yet you the Genesis Tower of Babel, which is a religious book with a mythological place (Babel) that don’t exist. Talk about hypocrisy.

Your whole argument is based on absurd superstition of event that never happened.

cladking

Still using the nonexistent Tower of Babel argument.

The argument is real.

Modern hubris holds that words carved into stone have no meaning. But then we carve words like "Arbeit macht frei" and believe in survival of the fittest.

All words have meaning whether uttered by the maids at the well or by the most omniscient Peer. All people always make sense in terms of their premises.

"Work will make you free" has many very true meanings and everyone hears and utters his own meaning and with sufficient clues you can deduce anyone's premises. With sufficient clues and a paradigm to attach them to you can even deduce the meaning of the "rantings of madmen".

It is just hubris to pick and choose what we take as evidence. All things are binary and all things are evidence. All of reality is a binary event unfolding.

Homo omnisciencis!