• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purple cow fallacy

siti

I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one
If you can't prove there's no such thing
There certainly must be one

What is the logical fallacy here?

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's the fallacy of proving a negative.

One can easily "prove" that a purple cow once lived by presenting the body. But no one can "prove" that a purple cow never existed. If you think so, simply consider how you'd go about it.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one

It is obvious. But how do you see it is applied by the followers of religions? (If you see them doing this)

Axe Elf

Prophet
The casual observer might cite the "fallacy" of trying to prove a negative, but there are in fact some negatives that can be proven.

This is actually a form of "denying the antecedent," which in formal logic goes something like "If A, then B; not A, therefore, not B."

In this case, A is "proof that no purple cows exist" and B is "no purple cows exist." Then the denial of proof that no purple cows exist is put forth as evidence of the negation that no purple cows exist--in other words, that they do exist.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one

You would have to know what a purple cow is beforehand in order to recognize it.

David T

Premium Member
It is obvious. But how do you see it is applied by the followers of religions? (If you see them doing this)
Figure out how you are doing it. A bit of the sliver in ones own eye matches the slivers in others eyes.

If you manage that then and only then do you realize you cant remove their sliver for them because you removed your sliver for yourself.. So its a depth issue not an informational, intellectual, issue. Or it is actually an issue with the intellect believing its primary. Its not confined only to religion that is a sliver, its pandemic.

Axe Elf

Prophet
It's the fallacy of proving a negative.

One can easily "prove" that a purple cow exists by presenting one. But no one can't "prove" that a purple cow does not exist. If you think so, simply consider how you'd go about it.

The best way to prove a negative is to prove that it is logically impossible.

I can prove that I am not on Mars, for instance, by proving that physical objects cannot be in two non-contiguous places at the same time, then proving that I am a physical object, and that I am here.

If you can prove that there are no possible genetic combinations that would produce a purple skin/hair tone, then you can prove that purple cows are logically impossible.

David T

Premium Member
The casual observer might cite the "fallacy" of trying to prove a negative, but there are in fact some negatives that can be proven.

This is actually a form of "denying the antecedent," which in formal logic goes something like "If A, then B; not A, therefore, not B."

In this case, A is "proof that no purple cows exist" and B is "no purple cows exist." Then the denial of proof that no purple cows exist is put forth as evidence of the negation that no purple cows exist--in other words, that they do exist.
A. Emperical proof No purple cows exist
B. Therefore no purple cows exist
A. If there is proof that no purple cows exist
B. Then purple cows exist

Do i have yhat right? It seems not quit right

David T

Premium Member
I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one

I have never seen a Purple cow and neither have you. Since it cant be proven to exist it must exist..

My take.
Purple cows actually literally do exist we are talking about them right now. I can prove it. Any response is proof and therefore they actually do exist. Fiction is fundemental in nature actually!! For you non artist types how do we split the fact from the fiction in a stick bug? it creates fiction for anothers perspective. Its survival depends on it. If it does not present fiction it dies. If the perspective that is being presented fiction cant tell the differnence it starves. So a bird brain separates fact from fiction. But the bird eats the fiction and thats a biological fact.

Facts and fiction fun topic!!!!

ca1d5874b30f49acb8e2c5a7c53ea6bd.jpeg

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Its more.

I never saw god/entity.
I never hope to see god
If you cant prove there's no such thing (as god)

So, basically, in my seen-experience on RF only bahai and christians have the view that because you havent seen X, you cant prove it doesnt exist. And since you cant prove it doesnt exist, it must exist.

Do you see the fallacy in that?

Not saracstic just being direct and honest.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one

Somebody could spray paint a cow purple, and fabricate a purple cow into existence.

And yes cow tipping is a real thing, you ought to try this sometime, it works best when the cow tipper is intoxicated. :D

InvestigateTruth

Its more.

I never saw god/entity.
I never hope to see god

So, basically, in my seen-experience on RF only bahai and christians have the view that because you havent seen X, you cant prove it doesnt exist. And since you cant prove it doesnt exist, it must exist.

Bahais never said it in this way you are presenting it.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Its more.

I never saw god/entity.
I never hope to see god

Either purple cows or gods can be fabricated into existence; in fact it'd be easier to fabricate an invisible deity than inventing a purple cow into existence, because unlike with making a cow purple, no can of purple spray paint is required for making up an invisible god. :D

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one

Sagan dealt with this in his "dragon in the garage" thought experiment. I'll see if I can find it...

Edit: here it is;

" "A fire-breathing dragon lives in my garage"

Suppose I seriously make such an assertion to you. Surely you'd want to check it out, see for yourself. There have been innumerable stories of dragons over the centuries, but no real evidence. What an opportunity!

"Show me," you say. I lead you to my garage. You look inside and see a ladder, empty paint cans, an old tricycle--but no dragon.

"Where's the dragon?" you ask.

"Oh, she's right here," I reply, waving vaguely. "I neglected to mention that she's an invisible dragon."

You propose spreading flour on the floor of the garage to capture the dragon's footprints.

"Good idea," I say, "but this dragon floats in the air."

Then you'll use an infrared sensor to detect the invisible fire.

"Good idea, but the invisible fire is also heatless."

You'll spray-paint the dragon and make her visible.

"Good idea, but she's an incorporeal dragon and the paint won't stick."

And so on. I counter every physical test you propose with a special explanation of why it won't work.

Now, what's the difference between an invisible, incorporeal, floating dragon who spits heatless fire and no dragon at all? If there's no way to disprove my contention, no conceivable experiment that would count against it, what does it mean to say that my dragon exists? Your inability to invalidate my hypothesis is not at all the same thing as proving it true. Claims that cannot be tested, assertions immune to disproof are veridically worthless, whatever value they may have in inspiring us or in exciting our sense of wonder. What I'm asking you to do comes down to believing, in the absence of evidence, on my say-so."

Curious George

Veteran Member
I never saw a purple cow
I never hope to see one

It is just an invalid argument. The conclusion is not necessarily true. I suppose you could say nonsequitur but it is more like an inductive argument with a poorly worded, unecessary conclusion.