• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purgatorium

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I know its not taught in my denomination. Is it mentioned in the Apocrypha perhaps?

I honestly don't know where it comes from, maybe Greek mythology?? In any way, it was picked up and promoted by the early Catholic church.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
real as in literally truth. when we die our souls go to purgatory to clean any imperfection, before going to heaven. orthodox don't believe in purgatory though.

In that case, I don't think we know the answer to that question.
Certainly in some particular reality or plane of existence it is true, and in others it is not. I doubt if we know which is the case for our particular plane. Then the question becomes to ask if you find meaning in the story or enjoy it. If you do, then it is real for you.

Faithofchristian

Its definitely not Biblical.

Then you don't know the bible to well, Haven't you read where Christ Jesus spoke on the Great golf fixed between us and those that haved pass away (dead). That they can not pass here to us nor us to them, In the book of Luke 16:26

Faithofchristian

real as in literally truth. when we die our souls go to purgatory to clean any imperfection, before going to heaven. orthodox don't believe in purgatory though.

That's unique, because Christ Jesus spoke on the Great gulf fixed, which in a since is like purgatory, but in the great gulf fixed, those that are there, will be there to be taught the Truth when Christ Jesus returns during the thousand years.

For those who are in the great gulf fixed, there is No praying them out, As purgatory teaches. Those that are there in the great gulf fixed, will be there when Christ Jesus returns and those who are on the good side of the gulf will cross over to teach them the truth. Then after the thousand years haved expired then Satan is loosed out of his prison to go out and deceive the nations one more time, and those that hold to the truth that was taught them, then they will come together with those to enter the New Jerusalem coming down from heaven.
Luke 16:26, Revelation 20:1-15.