• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pure Consciousness

Thief

Rogue Theologian
just read a paragraph linked

something about …..you
without thought or feeling

not buying it
take away the cognitive abilities...
and ...YOU....are no longer …..you

YOU
NEED your thoughts and feelings

your purity has nothing to do with NOT having thought and feeling

a blank slate
and a pure spirit are NOT the same thing

ajay0

just read a paragraph linked

something about …..you
without thought or feeling

not buying it
take away the cognitive abilities...
and ...YOU....are no longer …..you

YOU
NEED your thoughts and feelings

your purity has nothing to do with NOT having thought and feeling

a blank slate
and a pure spirit are NOT the same thing

The paragraph possibly maybe the one put in this thread....

On the nature of pure consciousness...

If so, the answer is that thoughts and feelings have a beginning and an end. What you thought and felt ten years back is not what you are thinking and feeling now.

Obviously your identity cannot be invested in something as transitory as your fickle thoughts and emotions that has a beginning and an ending...

So who are you really then ! What is your true identity ?

The answer is the Self, or Awareness/pure consciousness distinct from impure consciousness with its cravings and aversions that sets into motion its thoughts and emotions.

You can find more on the nature of pure consciousness from a buddhist pov from these threads as well...

Consiousness from a buddhist view

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

I think what the paragraph was speaking on was the idea of "consciousness" as the supportive "functionality" that fosters your ability to have things like "personality", "thoughts" or "feelings." That "thing", whatever it is, can be viewed as a sort of conduit that draws all those things together. Memory, sensory input, emotion, etc.

I don't necessarily believe that you can "attain" a state in which your consciousness is not processing one or more of the things that it supports. That seems functionally impossible to me.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member
I think what the paragraph was speaking on was the idea of "consciousness" as the supportive "functionality" that fosters your ability to have thing like "personality", "thoughts" or "feelings." That "thing", whatever it is, can be viewed as a sort of conduit that draws all those things together. Memory, sensory input, emotion, etc.

I don't necessarily believe that you can "attain" a state in which your consciousness is not processing one or more of the things that it supports. That seems functionally impossible to me.

Who would want to anyway?

ajay0

I think what the paragraph was speaking on was the idea of "consciousness" as the supportive "functionality" that fosters your ability to have thing like "personality", "thoughts" or "feelings." That "thing", whatever it is, can be viewed as a sort of conduit that draws all those things together. Memory, sensory input, emotion, etc.

It is true that your consciousness supports all these cognitive abilities and emotions. However the point here is that consciousness can also remain itself as thoughtless consciousness without having to identify with thoughts and emotions, especially that of a compulsive nature that creates tension, insomnia and anxiety.

It's like dating an interesting person, and then worrying incessantly about whether he or she would find oneself interesting or ring back. Or worrying about whether the expensive rolex watch you bought is genuine or a fake or whether your car parked outside will be stolen. You are putting your happiness and peace of mind in people and objects outside your control, all the time, and missing out on the present moment.

By being in the state of the witnessing consciousnes or awareness/mindfulness, you live in the present moment. Of course you use your mind to think, recollect and plan for practical purposes. But when you have used your mind totally, you switch off and don't keep thinking or emoting incessantly on the results, and rather enjoy the present moment and its pleasures.

You can learn more about mindfulness in these links...

Mindfulness Definition | What Is Mindfulness

The 23 Amazing Health Benefits of Mindfulness for Body and Brain (+ PDFs)

6 Scientifically Proven Benefits Of Mindfulness And Meditation

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It is true that your consciousness supports all these cognitive abilities and emotions. However the point here is that consciousness can also remain itself as thoughtless consciousness without having to identify with thoughts and emotions, especially that of a compulsive nature that creates tension, insomnia and anxiety.

It's like dating an interesting person, and then worrying incessantly about whether he or she would find oneself interesting or ring back. Or worrying about whether the expensive rolex watch you bought is genuine or a fake or whether your car parked outside will be stolen. You are putting your happiness and peace of mind in people and objects outside your control, all the time, and missing out on the present moment.

By being in the state of the witnessing consciousnes or awareness/mindfulness, you live in the present moment. Of course you use your mind to think, recollect and plan for practical purposes. But when you have used your mind totally, you switch off and don't keep thinking or emoting incessantly on the results, and rather enjoy the present moment and its pleasures.

You can learn more about mindfulness in these links...

Mindfulness Definition | What Is Mindfulness

The 23 Amazing Health Benefits of Mindfulness for Body and Brain (+ PDFs)

6 Scientifically Proven Benefits Of Mindfulness And Meditation
I think …..

you are attempting that frame of mind prior to birth

but of course having taken a breath on your own
the process of becoming a person can't be halted
it can be stressed
but never halted

after the last breath we move to greater Hierarchy and greater disciplines

God does not sleep
His children in this life suffer insomnia