• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puppy love leads to expulsion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Young girl in 2nd grade expelled from Christian school for no other reason than having a 'crush' on another girl. At that age its called puppy love.

The issue is that it's a girl liking another girl and she was lectured on whom to have crushes on. Namely only boys..

Apparently, it cost her education which I think is outrageous putting a religion over something so important as an education.

It causes me to wonder if the girl had a crush on a boy would have the same effect. During my time in grade school at her age, girls had cooties. Ewww....

Boys were icky... get away from me!

A 2nd grader at a Christian school was expelled for telling another girl she had a crush on her, mother says - CNN

If schools are authorized and licensed to teach students, should there be based standards on expulsion. I dont think love and fondness should be on that list. After all, close friends are essential for getting through those school years. Even those whom hold a 'crush'.

I think she should be reinstated where her education can continue. Its a school, not a church when you think about it, and having a crush is an aspect of growing up and a wonderful time in life to experience.

Personally, education and religion should remain separate as church and state is.

Was the school in its rights? Or not?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the kids in question are too young to even worry about such matters... how overblown.

I told a girl I was going to marry her in my very young years. We both laughed hysterically. I had no concept of romantic feelings when I said it, I just thought it would be nice to live in the same house as my friend, and we could make dinner, and play games... I didn't understand sexuality at all, homosexuality or heterosexuality. If someone had made a big issue out of the comment, and then had to explain the merit of what I said, I would have been horrified, embarrassed, and made to grow up a whole heck of a lot sooner than should be.

The school should have ignored this.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Young girl in 2nd grade expelled from Christian school for no other reason than having a 'crush' on another girl. At that age its called puppy love.

The issue is that it's a girl liking another girl and she was lectured on whom to have crushes on. Namely only boys..

Apparently, it cost her education which I think is outrageous putting a religion over something so important as an education.

It causes me to wonder if the girl had a crush on a boy would have the same effect. During my time in grade school at her age, girls had cooties. Ewww....

A 2nd grader at a Christian school was expelled for telling another girl she had a crush on her, mother says - CNN

If schools are authorized and licensed to teach students, should there be based standards on expulsion. I dont think love and fondness should be on that list. After all, close friends are essential for getting through those school years. Even those whom hold a 'crush'.

I think she should be reinstated where her education can continue. Its a school, not a church when you think about it, and having a crush is an aspect of growing up and a wonderful time in life to experience.

Personally, education and religion should remain separate as church and state is.

Well, they gotta instill the hate and prejudice at a young age.
Otherwise their beliefs might get squashed.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member

I agree with you. Was this a private school? In which case, they can enforce any ridiculous standards of their choosing. This is a good reason why religious beliefs make a terrible standard for educational design.

Twilight Hue

I agree with you. Was this a private school? In which case, they can enforce any ridiculous standards of their choosing. This is a good reason why religious beliefs make a terrible standard for educational design.
Well it's a Christian school so I'm sure its a private institution.

Still it does seem extreme imo to deny a young girl's education over this.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
They kicked a girl out for having a crush?

Gender of her love aside.... Lol, like it's gonna get any better from here.

At all.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
Sadly, this is the purview of the girl's parents, who want her to be raised with all the same bias and bigotry as they have. And the school exists to provide that service.

We don't get to pick our parents.

Twilight Hue

Sadly, this is the purview of the girl's parents, who want her to be raised with all the same bias and bigotry as they have. And the school exists to provide that service.

We don't get to pick our parents.
Its ironic givin the circumstances. The parents now clearly see the true 'Christian' nature of the school they had enrolled their daughter in.

Worse even, their son who had nothing to do with anything, just got expelled himself right out of the blue. Apparently, the family beliefs don't match the school's was the reason. Wow.

Eyes opening maybe? Parents now a little wiser?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I remember cooties. I never understood it really. One girl in my school was constantly bullied about having cooties.

Most of the boys would start mocking her. I didn't participate but I never stood up for her either, which I now regret.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Oh my God. Talk about traumatizing that poor child! This form of Christianity they practice, doesn't care about children. They serve evil.

Twilight Hue

I remember cooties. I never understood it really. One girl in my school was constantly bullied about having cooties.

Most of the boys would start mocking her. I didn't participate but I never stood up for her either, which I now regret.
I think its just an instinctive phase all kids go through.

Maybe its a survival mechanism from our ancestors. Our instinctive drive to stay with those we identify the most, and stay away from those who come across as strange and different.

As we grow, those horizons of familiarity obviously expand more, although the instinctive nature we posses remains and in cases well into adulthood.

We still are tribal.

PureX

Veteran Member
Its ironic givin the circumstances. The parents now clearly see the true 'Christian' nature of the school they had enrolled their daughter in.

Worse even, their son who had nothing to do with anything, just got expelled himself right out of the blue. Apparently, the family beliefs don't match the school's was the reason. Wow.

We hope so. I think they should consider themselves fortunate to have been shown the reality of their affiliation with this institution. And will use it as a good teaching experience for their children. Mitigating the possible damage done to them by the school.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think the school was in its rights. It is a private/confessional school and they have the right to drive away people from religion as much as they want.
The only exception would be if they received any public money. Then they would have to uphold any restrictions that come with the money and they may be subject to having any and all subsidies cancelled, even if that behaviour wasn't against any regulation.
There should be a separation of church and state. It is not a duty of the state to make the religious behave. Just cut the money and then give them all the rope they need.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Young girl in 2nd grade expelled from Christian school for no other reason than having a 'crush' on another girl.
At that age its called puppy love.

Obviously the school did not know about Jesus' Love for children

Oh my God, this school should be ashamed of it's action

The girl is 8 years old. Jesus said:..well we all know

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Whatever this school is and no matter what it calls itself, it does not follow the message of the Christ.

Messianic Israelite

Twilight Hue. Good evening. It's easy to say Bible and education should remain separate, but it has consequences that many people don't realize. A desensitization to immoral standards is one such consequence. The school was in it's rights. I think the problem was the mother didn't seem to think there was a problem with homosexual relations when she was asked about it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue. Good evening. It's easy to say Bible and education should remain separate, but it has consequences that many people don't realize. A desensitization to immoral standards is one such consequence. The school was in it's rights. I think the problem was the mother didn't seem to think there was a problem with homosexual relations when she was asked about it.
I can see it from a religious perspective but its hard to justify it from an educational standpoint.

I suppose the parents will either look for another private charter school or go the public route. Assuming it is a charter funded school.

If the school is state funded in any way, then I feel state money ought to be revoked in this case.

How Charter Schools Work

I'm going under the premise this school is a charter school and not exclusively private.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Something similar happened to a cousin of mine. Her parents sent her to a Catholic School at first.
I’ll add the caveat that her parents come from Fiji so their brand of Catholicism was more of a blend than traditional.
Anyway she asked a nun or teacher rather innocently about a God, not the Christian God mind you. The teacher or nun or whatever gave her a long lecture about the results of “worshipping a pagan God” including a list of horrific punishments awaiting said worshipper in Hell. Unfortunately, if I’m not mistaken, the “God” she was asking about just so happened to be one worshipped by her great Grandparents, so she was pretty mortified.
I don’t think her parents let her go back to that school after that.