• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishment for adultery

What should be punishment for adultery?

• Total voters

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing your quotes from the Christian book of mythology... unfortunately they don't answer the question I asked. How does punishing one of their parents improve the lives of the children?
Sorry in quoting your post, I was replying to the comment I quoted above yours.

But to answer your question....there should be something done. Many times, just the threat of punishment will restrain a person.

Example: speed limit signs, along with the accompanied threat of fines, have worked for many years! (They've kept me from outright speeding! How 'bout you?)

Really, though, don't courts still favor, to some degree, the innocent mate in a divorce arising from adultery? It doesn't seem to be working too well. Probably more serious measures should be threatened. How about public flogging?

Maybe that threat would be enough!

Is it so hard to keep one's pants zipped up?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
That doesn't make sense. :oops: :confused:

That would mean the child can only have healthy love with male and female but more than two, the child is confused?

Outside of the law, societal, and religious pressures, how is the child confused if he has more than two parents? In a religious and societal environment we have today, of course he would be confused. In itself, how is the child confused?

I'm struggling how open marriage (a societal norm) have anything to do with more than two people taking care of a child in a family-relationship and commitment without that child being confused?

You should see my face right now.
Hey, the courts make bigamy a crime. Apparently, they think something is wrong with it, too.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hey, the courts make bigamy a crime. Apparently, they think something is wrong with it, too.

I dont know. Thats like judging the parenthood of one or two families based on a group of people that dont represent the whole. What do they call it. A fallacy of thinking something is true for all based on a set group of people (or scripture of another time period, people, and culture). Generalization.

Can you describe how a multiparent household is unhealthy for a child?

Without influence of religion and societal laws. Just the parents and child.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
How is it not good for the children to have more than two loving adults taking care of them? Yes, that seems eminently responsible to me.

Then, why doesn't U.S. Law allow it? Most of the world doesn't.

As far as just living together....whenever one party "gets tired" of the relationship, then they can just 'search for another'; of course,* that requires 'sleeping around', to find a sexually-compatible mate...or mates. I mean, why stop at just two? Let's have several!**

* Sarcasm.
** Extreme sarcasm

Really, where would it stop??

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, since marrying two or more spouses is not allowed, that means there's little commitment given to the parties outside of the marriage contract.

You think that's "responsible"? A lot of 'loving', maybe, but not responsible. And not emotionally healthy for the children, no matter how you spin it. Sorry.

Edit.

Hm. How does more than two parents influence a child's health if the childraising isn't influenced by societal and religious laws? In other words, can a community take care of a child without that child's health being in jeopardy because of societal laws and religion?

(Pin pong off my other question/post)

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

What should be the punishment for adultery?
What I want and what should be legal are two different things. I want horror movie levels of retribution. That probably shouldn't be made into law.

Well, marriage is a contract and promise between two parties. Shouldn't breaking a contract be punishable?
But it's not breaking the contract if all parties consent to extra people in the relationship. Consent is my biggest hang-up. I don't want to share but I know some people do. As long as there's consent, I don't care.

Would not the punishment in this case, cause people to be more careful in following driving laws?
No, because it's unevenly applied. A thousand speeders and a cop can only catch one. With stats like that, speeding will never stop. I like the idea from The Fifth Element, where your car just automatically deducts points from your license when you do bad things. Adultery would be the same. Only certain people would be punished, because government and religious leaders and business leaders and such will mostly get away with it.

I feel for the poor children of these unions!
Coming from a home broken via abuse and adultery, the harm from adultery only came from the fact we were raised to believe it wasn't okay. In fact it wasn't ... for Mom. My father felt free to sow oats all over the field.

Yes, Jesus was "sent to the lost sheep", but why? So they would change and repent.
Many of the outcasts he hung out with were just sick or in jobs people don't like (tax collecting). What did they have to repent about when it was the society mistreating them in the first place?

He said, "the sick need a physician".
Miraculously he never hangs out with political leaders who oppress all those sick people. The oppressors were the sickest of all and repentance could've brought extensive long-term relief, but he didn't bother.

And he did consider adultery as wrong....John 8:11, in the KJV, has Jesus telling the adulteress: "go, and sin no more."
See, I see that story (that I've heard is an inserted forgery) as "the real problem is that you are the village bicycle and everyone's ridden you but they aren't going to stone themselves." Do you really think the men will hear her say "Yeah, I'm no longer in the sex biz" and go "Okay, that's fine, I'll go back to my wife"?

According to this, then, bigamy should be lawful.
Many people in the bible had multiple spouses and chicks on the side. God never tells them to stop it. Given that it's hard for even a two-income household to survive anymore, from a sheer practical standpoint, I could see letting multiple partners slide morally. As long as consent is present for all parties, of course.

Well, since marrying two or more spouses is not allowed, that means there's little commitment given to the parties outside of the marriage contract.
Jesus had 2 dads and he was ... oh, yeah, his family thought him mad. Dang, I thought that was going somewhere else....

I am considered rather prudish, one thing I seriously disapprove of is cheating on a spouse.
But your poll implied state imposed punishment. I strongly oppose that as well. There are many things I disapprove of, but totally want the state to stay out of. Police and courts and such just aren't going to help.
Adultery will never be illegal as long as there is Congress. :p

Outside of the law, societal, and religious pressures, how is the child confused if he has more than two parents? In a religious and societal environment we have today, of course he would be confused. In itself, how is the child confused?
I'm sure Ishmael and Isaac discussed this growing up. Why would they be confused? Per Sarah, it was legal for him to screw a slave and the kid would be hers, but after the kid was born she hated the idea SHE BROUGHT UP.

Anyway, eventually I voted "other". The very least should be mandatory STD testing and other medical concerns.

Example: speed limit signs, along with the accompanied threat of fines, have worked for many years! (They've kept me from outright speeding! How 'bout you?)
I have never lived in a place where the majority of people don't speed. The "limit" is considered more of a "suggested minimum".

Dumb Laws in Alabama. Crazy Alabama Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

There is an entire website devoted to the fact that making something a crime can be really pathetically stupid.

It is illegal to sell peanuts in Lee County after sundown on Wednesday.
Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.
A couple of examples.

And you don't see this as a danger in spreading STD's?
That's what learning about safe sex in sex ed is for.

You can encourage it by demanding the spreader of disease must pay the medical treatments for the people they infected if they knew they were infected.

Men don't want women to shop around. That's why monogamy exists, to turn women into personal sex toys for men. Like I said earlier, my father could sleep with other women but threatened my mother with death if she ever went out with anyone.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I dont know. Thats like judging the parenthood of one or two families based on a group of people that dont represent the whole. What do they call it. A fallacy of thinking something is true for all based on a set group of people (or scripture of another time period, people, and culture). Generalization.

Can you describe how a multiparent household is unhealthy for a child?

Without influence of religion and societal laws. Just the parents and child.

This Article raises some of the issues, including favoritism, finances stretched, jealousy, and undue stress:

The challenges of a polygamous marriage - JamiiForums

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Coming from a home broken via abuse and adultery, the harm from adultery only came from the fact we were raised to believe it wasn't okay. In fact it wasn't ... for Mom. My father felt free to sow oats all over the field.

No, it isn’t ok, is it? I’m sorry you had a lousy Dad.(See, you consider him lousy, don’t you?) So was mine.
Many of the outcasts he hung out with were just sick or in jobs people don't like (tax collecting). What did they have to repent about when it was the society mistreating them in the first place?

Yes, many...but not all. BTW, tax collectors were known to overcharge...that’s stealing.
You’re right, to an extent. But these ones came to him....they could sense he cared. He wasn’t all ‘fire and brimstone’....not to the oppressed ones (Matthew 11:28-30). He was to their religious leaders, though! Matthew 23.

He upheld the Mosaic Law, but he tempered his judgment with mercy...the lowly ones were already hurt enough. Jesus’ ‘predecessor’, John the Baptist, his job was to get the Israelites/Jews to repent, and prepare them to accept the Messiah.

See, I see that story (that I've heard is an inserted forgery) as "the real problem is that you are the village bicycle and everyone's ridden you but they aren't going to stone themselves." Do you really think the men will hear her say "Yeah, I'm no longer in the sex biz" and go "Okay, that's fine, I'll go back to my wife"?

Yes, “an inserted forgery” it is...that’s why I said the KJV had it. (Then the rest is moot, I guess.) It does mirror Jesus’ attitude, upholding the Law and wanting them to stop their wrongdoing, so they could receive Jehovah God’s blessing. It wasn’t gonna happen, if a person continued doing wrong.

Many people in the bible had multiple spouses and chicks on the side. God never tells them to stop it. Given that it's hard for even a two-income household to survive anymore, from a sheer practical standpoint, I could see letting multiple partners slide morally. As long as consent is present for all parties, of course.
No, no “chicks on the side.” They got married, polygamy was allowed. But the Biblical accounts almost always reveal that bad things happened, because of it. Remember Hannah & Penninah? Sarah and Hagar? Wise Solomon turned against Jehovah?

(Oops, I just thought of Jacob’s Son, Judah, and his one-night stand! I’ve gotta look that up! [He really wasn’t considered a “righteous” person, though.]) I’ll see what I can find on him. Can you think of another?

Jesus had 2 dads and he was ... oh, yeah, his family thought him mad. Dang, I thought that was going somewhere else....
Lol.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This Article raises some of the issues, including favoritism, finances stretched, jealousy, and undue stress:

The challenges of a polygamous marriage - JamiiForums

Ima read this later. One quick question. What's the difference between issues with more than two people and two?

Can a community take care of a child? (Where are you from?...I know the U.S. doesn't think in those terms. Many countries are more family-oriented in that it doesn't separate people/families because of legal affairs. Religious, yes. But unlike America, it doesn't quite make the whole family one single unit. I don't know about other countries, but I think this is more of an American thing not something universally immoral).

Edit. Oh. Was about to read this. I'm asking how does a multiparent household affect the health of a child?

Religion, politics, and law influences a child's wellbeing depending on the culture of that environment and norms in which that child lives. It's not specific to how many parents one has, but the situation and culture to which these families raise their child. So, of course there will be issues with two or more parents. That's a given. We're human. Right? ;)

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
where I live the criminal law has been repealed

doesn't mean God and heaven agreed
You're saying your local legislature doesn't start its meetings with prayers for guidance?

Or you're saying the Almighty just doesn't take them seriously?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Hockeycowboy Could you find something less bias?

Multi-parent family household can take care of a child. US doesn't quite think that way. Marital laws are just laws. I'm asking about multiple parents taking care of a child. Societal and religious laws messes up households to where the child is confused because of the laws and religious norms not their being raised by multiple parents.

:herb: Another thing I notice. This is only in one country. Every country has their own laws about polygamy.

1. How does the jeousy of a child in a pologmy family relate to witchcraft? Witchcraft is just European pagan practices. Some in the states are mixed with christianity (protestant). Witchcraft isn't all demonic or evil. Not all possessions. Not finding the link??? (Psychology sees emotions tied to the brain and mind)

2. Depending on the country, if it were legal for multiparents to take care of a child, there would be multiple incomes. Resources would be extra and each parent can raise the child while others are taking care of other responsibilities. It highly depends on the resources not how many parents are involved.

3. Don't see how missing a parent works out in this? I was raised single parent and I'm so glad or I wouldn't be here. Depends on resources and area and people. (Not how many just the nature and actions of the people involved)

4. Diseases etc depend on the area and, of course, the person/s involved. Of course, if someone has a disease it will affect their care of that child. Multiple parents, though, kinda helps with that.

4. Favoritism? That's like in a two parent household, the child would have favorites over one parent over another. Sometimes that happens but in a communal household (and environment), depending on area and culture, that child would have familiar responsibilities to family.

Here is something to look at.
It Takes a Village: The Impact of Communal Parenting | HuffPost

As for polygamy, they have the same external issues as a two parent family does in that there are multiple decisions made for the benefit of the child. My point is multiparenting does not harm the child. What confuses the child is religious and sociatal laws that make it a legal and religious consequence for communal upbringing. If society supported it, the child would grow up better.

Also, I think religious views on this subject varies by culture. Not many countries probably have issues with communal upbringing. Of course, each country has their laws. They're probably more concerned with cheating/going outside the family or similar not how many people take care of a child and what contract they made.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

A long history of being dominated by Christian thinking and letting them make all the laws?

As far as just living together....whenever one party "gets tired" of the relationship, then they can just 'search for another'; of course,* that requires 'sleeping around', to find a sexually-compatible mate...or mates. I mean, why stop at just two? Let's have several!**

* Sarcasm.
** Extreme sarcasm

Really, where would it stop??

Time is usually a limiting factor.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Well, people should be talking about these things *much* more openly. They should know what sorts of behavior are dangerous and learn how to communicate with partners (and listen to them).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Not if adequate precautions are taken. Or are you assuming those on open relationships dont take advise.

Interestingly. The highests rates of STIs in ametica are found in bible belt states so by your logic either christians have more open relationships or they ignore advice and rely on god to protect them from the dreaded clap