• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishment for adultery

What should be punishment for adultery?

• Total voters

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It could be just more than an issue between the couple involved. Let's say if a person steals or frauds on another person, can we say this is just their own business? The issue is, such a person can do the same to other people. It causes more disorder in the society. Adultry is a form of dishonesty, which is harmful in the society. Leaving the issue without consequence, or punishment would cause the people to think, it is OK to cheat, or comit adultery.
Too strict of religious moral codes can be harmful also, since most can't abide by them. How many Christians listen to what Jesus said about not looking at a woman with lust in your heart? Who does that? And those that try are probably neurotic basket cases.

So what do we have? Religious people having their affairs and trying to keep it a secret. That's not got for the marriage, the religious group or society. We have non-religious people doing all sorts of things, and getting wilder and more extreme everyday. That can't be good for a decent, moral society, but it can be fun once in a while. And speaking of once in a while, I wonder how many religious leaders are all the "pure" in thought and deed? Especially if we take Jesus' words as the standard. How you going to enforce thinking about having sex with someone other than your spouse?

Besides, I blame God. He didn't have to make sex feel so good, fills people with hormones that get them excited about having sex, and then says don't do it until you're married and only do it with the one you're married to. Flog 'em, stone 'em, throw them in jail, fine them all the money in the world... it doesn't work.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I agree that for people who are not married, fornication should not be punishable by law of country.
I applaud your liberalism, for it is against the fundamental law of Baha’u’llah that unmarried fornicators should go unpunished by society. Congratulations on joining the ranks of free thinkers :)

danieldemol

Premium Member
For what it is worth I voted other - society should enforce child support payments and shame those who break their promise to remain faithful, although even then i’m more of a “you can look but you can’t touch” type.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I voted other.

I am considered rather prudish, one thing I seriously disapprove of is cheating on a spouse.
But your poll implied state imposed punishment. I strongly oppose that as well. There are many things I disapprove of, but totally want the state to stay out of. Police and courts and such just aren't going to help.

But I will be clear to people on a personal level. I will advocate social pressure and ostracizing of offenders. I just want the police to stay out of it.
Tom

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Too strict of religious moral codes can be harmful also, since most can't abide by them. How many Christians listen to what Jesus said about not looking at a woman with lust in your heart? Who does that? And those that try are probably neurotic basket cases.

So what do we have? Religious people having their affairs and trying to keep it a secret. That's not got for the marriage, the religious group or society. We have non-religious people doing all sorts of things, and getting wilder and more extreme everyday. That can't be good for a decent, moral society, but it can be fun once in a while. And speaking of once in a while, I wonder how many religious leaders are all the "pure" in thought and deed? Especially if we take Jesus' words as the standard. How you going to enforce thinking about having sex with someone other than your spouse?

Besides, I blame God. He didn't have to make sex feel so good, fills people with hormones that get them excited about having sex, and then says don't do it until you're married and only do it with the one you're married to. Flog 'em, stone 'em, throw them in jail, fine them all the money in the world... it doesn't work.
Yes, society makes it difficult to live by. We are bombarded with sexual images every day. (Advertising, alone, can be arousing! You know that, too, right?)

That's why 1 Corinthians 15:33 is so important! It can help to keep us away from 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 & Colossians 3:5-6.

I am one of the few JW's on here, and we really try to adhere to the Scriptures. And we keep trying. Philippians 4:8.

Just like King David, we may fail, but continue working at it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It could be just more than an issue between the couple involved. Let's say if a person steals or frauds on another person, can we say this is just their own business? The issue is, such a person can do the same to other people. It causes more disorder in the society. Adultry is a form of dishonesty, which is harmful in the society. Leaving the issue without consequence, or punishment would cause the people to think, it is OK to cheat, or comit adultery.

Stealing or fraud are not adultery, you are simply making up scenarios here. Or perhaps you have evidence that a man or woman who plays away from home is more likely to be a theif of fraudster.

It is not dishonesty among consenting adults and it is no one elses business but their own so how it it harmful to society? That seems to me to be a straw man with which to justify intrusion into PERSONAL LIVES.

It can cause personal distress in an unconsenting partner, but i have covered that situation in a previous post

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, since marrying two or more spouses is not allowed, that means there's little commitment given to the parties outside of the marriage contract.
Your concept of commitment is strange. A Marriage is just letting the government know about a commitment that already exists.

You think that's "responsible"? A lot of 'loving', maybe, but not responsible. And not emotionally healthy for the children, no matter how you spin it. Sorry.
How is it not good for the children to have more than two loving adults taking care of them? Yes, that seems eminently responsible to me.

One solution to your legal dilemma is to have two men and two women with two pairs legally married and with each designating the other pair to take care of children on death.

sealchan

What should be the punishment for adultery?

Edit: the poll is about a person who is in a committed Marriage relationship with an opposite sex, who has a sexual relation with another person outside of the Marriage. Should there be a punishment for this case?

All is fair in love and war...in such circumstances the punishment is self-inflicted. If one party in the marriage can demonstrably be shown to have duped the other then taking away the ill gotten gains would be just.

sealchan

Look at these selfish views! "No punishment needed" is the most popular, currently. I feel for the poor children of these unions!

Then why get married? Just live together.

I believe in a monogamous relationship for myself. I voted no punishment.

A true, deep relationship with another human being exposed ones self to the full character of human psychology. Government should regulate people's responsibility to the children they produce and protect individuals from sexual and financial exploitation. But consenting adults should absolutely be free to determine the conditions of their own interpersonal relationships.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, since marrying two or more spouses is not allowed, that means there's little commitment given to the parties outside of the marriage contract.

You think that's "responsible"? A lot of 'loving', maybe, but not responsible. And not emotionally healthy for the children, no matter how you spin it. Sorry.

That doesn't make sense. :oops: :confused:

That would mean the child can only have healthy love with male and female but more than two, the child is confused?

Outside of the law, societal, and religious pressures, how is the child confused if he has more than two parents? In a religious and societal environment we have today, of course he would be confused. In itself, how is the child confused?

I'm struggling how open marriage (a societal norm) have anything to do with more than two people taking care of a child in a family-relationship and commitment without that child being confused?

You should see my face right now.

InvestigateTruth

Stealing or fraud are not adultery, you are simply making up scenarios here. Or perhaps you have evidence that a man or woman who plays away from home is more likely to be a theif of fraudster.

It is not dishonesty among consenting adults and it is no one elses business but their own so how it it harmful to society? That seems to me to be a straw man with which to justify intrusion into PERSONAL LIVES.

It can cause personal distress in an unconsenting partner, but i have covered that situation in a previous post
So, you believe there is nothing wrong with adultery, and it is ethical?

InvestigateTruth

If it is consensual, as i have said repeatedly throughout this thread
But if it is not consensual, and if the partner or a relative of the partner complains to the court, shouldn't the court charge or convict the person with adultery?

And do you believe all adulterers are thrives and frauds?
I believe there are two types of adultery. One type is when a person in a marriage, have sex with another person outside of marriage. These adulterers must be convicted and charged by a court.
The second type of adultery is for people who are not married, or are in open marriages, or even gays and lesbians. I believe this is not ethical, and wrong style of living, but, it is not to be punishable by a court.

ChristineM

Premium Member
But if it is not consensual, and if the partner or a relative of the partner complains to the court, shouldn't the court charge or convict the person with adultery?

I believe there are two types of adultery. One type is when a person in a marriage, have sex with another person outside of marriage. These adulterers must be convicted and charged by a court.
The second type of adultery is for people who are not married, or are in open marriages, or even gays and lesbians. I believe this is not ethical, and wrong style of living, but, it is not to be punishable by a court.

I have already discussed this, the law accounts for divorce.

What do you want? That the "adulterer" is beaten, stoned, mutilated, fined, so putting the burden on family and children?

So change the law, you know, democracy and all that.

And of course your belief has nothing to do with consenting adults.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Wow ... it's amazing how even opposition to adultery gets people thinking so much about adultery. I used to smoke more when I constantly thought about smoking too. Ask someone trying to lose weight how much they think of food.

It makes one wonder if there is some new word for 'adultery' just so it isn't called adultery.

Nikah mut 'ah anyone?

QuestioningMind

Yes, Jesus was "sent to the lost sheep", but why? So they would change and repent.

Was Jesus not sent to the "lost sheep of Israel"? He said, "the sick need a physician".
He tried to help such ones get better, but he did not condone their wrongdoing.

And he did consider adultery as wrong....John 8:11, in the KJV, has Jesus telling the adulteress: "go, and sin no more."

Judgment is accomplished with facts (like actions), not opinions or feelings. There is the difference.

Just like court systems rendering their judgment.

Thanks for sharing your quotes from the Christian book of mythology... unfortunately they don't answer the question I asked. How does punishing one of their parents improve the lives of the children?

InvestigateTruth

I have already discussed this, the law accounts for divorce.

What do you want? That the "adulterer" is beaten, stoned, mutilated, fined, so putting the burden on family and children?

So change the law, you know, democracy and all that.

And of course your belief has nothing to do with consenting adults.
I voted paying a fine. The person should be charged for it, so, it is recorded. If the person did it again second time, a higher fine he must pay every time. It can be very devastating for a partner, whose partner cheats and comitts adultery.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I voted paying a fine. The person should be charged for it, so, it is recorded. If the person did it again second time, a higher fine he must pay every time. It can be very devastating for a partner, whose partner cheats and comitts adultery.

Ok you you voted taking food from the childrens mouths.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I voted paying a fine.

Yes, that's what it says to do in the Baha'i book. What else would we expect? Did you read all the excellent answers, and gain any insight, or has your position changed any throughout this discussion? Certainly you haven't convinced any others of the logic of this Baha'i stance, if that was your goal.