• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishment for adultery

What should be punishment for adultery?

• Total voters

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Could? Sure they could, most don't

I dont believe you have no actually asked me but never mind here ya go.

A rape victim not only experiences a shame and guilt, nightmares, depression, the feeling of helplessness, ptsd,
which could perhaps be experienced by a cuckolded spouse in addition to betrayal you mention. Betrayal because many rapes are committed by trusted family members or friends, people known to the victim.

There is in addition the anguish of personal violation into ones body. Leaving the victim not wanting to be touched not only in a sexual way. An emotion that can and does stay with the victim and is likely to effect their sex life for life, close relationships with family and friends, even visits to the doctor.

Rape is usually accompanied by violence and abuse which will often require hospitalisation. It is often accompanied by mental abuse.

As i understand it there is a higher percentage of rape victims committing suicide than cuckold spouses. Assuming your reference to death meant suicide

But as in previous past threads i would not expect you to even consider a female* view past the 2nd class humans of the old testament designed as offspring factories. Too strong? Personally i dont think so.

Of course it is not only women rape victims.

I'll just add to this that rape is used as a tool of war. Adultery isn't.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Also, people who are raped have no say over their assault.

An injured spouse can un-marry an adulterous partner. No one can un-rape a rape victim.

Not even comparable at all.

Faithofchristian

How would you decide the amount of the fine if one cheater is a minimum wage McDonald's employee and the other a Trumpish billionaire married to an aging supermodel who knew him very well when she landed him?
Tom

As it wouldn't matter, whether one is a minimum wage McDonald's employee and the other a billionaire, whatever the law requires then both should pay.

As the same with any law, Whether they be Hillary Clinton Obama,Eric Holder, Loretta Lynch, Susan Rice or poor the law stands as is. With no regard whether they are rich or poor, for no one is above the law.

Faithofchristian

My question would be, in the bible the book of Matthew 5:28--"But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart"

So how does a single person fit into what Christ Jesus said ?
Seeing adultery pertains to married people

So how would a single person find the right
Man/woman if they do not look upon that person in lust to have them as their
Wife/ husband in marriage?

As it is, Adultery does not pertain to those who are single, but to those who are Married.

Shaul

Premium Member
Could? Sure they could, most don't

I dont believe you have no actually asked me but never mind here ya go.

A rape victim not only experiences a shame and guilt, nightmares, depression, the feeling of helplessness, ptsd,
which could perhaps be experienced by a cuckolded spouse in addition to betrayal you mention. Betrayal because many rapes are committed by trusted family members or friends, people known to the victim.

There is in addition the anguish of personal violation into ones body. Leaving the victim not wanting to be touched not only in a sexual way. An emotion that can and does stay with the victim and is likely to effect their sex life for life, close relationships with family and friends, even visits to the doctor.

Rape is usually accompanied by violence and abuse which will often require hospitalisation. It is often accompanied by mental abuse.

As i understand it there is a higher percentage of rape victims committing suicide than cuckold spouses. Assuming your reference to death meant suicide

But as in previous past threads i would not expect you to even consider a female* view past the 2nd class humans of the old testament designed as offspring factories. Too strong? Personally i dont think so.

Of course it is not only women rape victims.
Not “could”. Have.

Victims of adultery have experienced also experience many of the same things as rape victims. You mentioned shame, nightmares, depression, feelings of helplessness and ptsd. Yes, the victims of adultery have experienced all of these too.

Let’s not forget financial ruin and the fraud of raising other people’s children unknowingly.

Then there are the non spouse victims of adultery, the children. Children whose life’s are devastated or destroyed by adultery. Their homes are wrecked. Their finances devastated. Then there is the emotional trauma of being forced in the middle of two dueling spouses.

No, your assumption that I meant people died from suicide is wrong. While unsuspecting victims of adulterous spouses have also died from suicide, I was actually referring to the victims that have died after long, lingering sickness after contracting a sexually transmitted disease from an adulterous spouse.

I have not diminished how very terrible rape is. However some here, for their own peculiar reasons, choose to minimize the suffering cause by adultery.

Shaul

Premium Member
Ah, you refer to myth and hope that i’ll believe God will rain fire and brimstone upon people who engage in sex outside marital bounds.

If that where going to happen places like Las Vegas and kings cross as well as numerous other red light districts around the world would be engulfed in flames long ago.

It simply does not happen.
Whether Sodom and Gomorrah are a myth is irrelevant to the point. They are a symbol of umlimited sexual debauchery leading to destruction. Their destruction by hailstones and fire is metaphorical for the destruction brought by their modern spiritual descendants. Sexual libertines choose to minimize how bad adultery is lest there be limits to their preferred kicks. Yes, the denizens of Sodom and Gomorrah would applaud efforts to trivialize adultery.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not “could”. Have.

Victims of adultery have experienced also experience many of the same things as rape victims. You mentioned shame, nightmares, depression, feelings of helplessness and ptsd. Yes, the victims of adultery have experienced all of these too.

Let’s not forget financial ruin and the fraud of raising other people’s children unknowingly.

Then there are the non spouse victims of adultery, the children. Children whose life’s are devastated or destroyed by adultery. Their homes are wrecked. Their finances devastated. Then there is the emotional trauma of being forced in the middle of two dueling spouses.

No, your assumption that I meant people died from suicide is wrong. While unsuspecting victims of adulterous spouses have also died from suicide, I was actually referring to the victims that have died after long, lingering sickness after contracting a sexually transmitted disease from an adulterous spouse.

I have not diminished how very terrible rape is. However some here, for their own peculiar reasons, choose to minimize the suffering cause by adultery.

You want the play games "most don't"

Yes i said some experience those mental problems

So rape victims dont get pregnant when they are raped?

And of course rape victims are immune to sdi's. Ok

No one is minimising how traumatic being a unwitting cuckold can be but you are the one comparing it with rape.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
As it wouldn't matter, whether one is a minimum wage McDonald's employee and the other a billionaire, whatever the law requires then both should pay.

As the same with any law, Whether they be Hillary Clinton Obama,Eric Holder, Loretta Lynch, Susan Rice or poor the law stands as is. With no regard whether they are rich or poor, for no one is above the law.
No matter what the fine. No matter what the punishment. It won't stop people from having sex with people other than their wife or husband. Religions can say God hates it. That he will cast people into hell for doing it, but that hasn't stopped it. And no one is above the law? Isn't the punishment for adultery in the Law that God gave to Moses stoning? Was King David stoned?

Faithofchristian

No matter what the fine. No matter what the punishment. It won't stop people from having sex with people other than their wife or husband. Religions can say God hates it. That he will cast people into hell for doing it, but that hasn't stopped it. And no one is above the law? Isn't the punishment for adultery in the Law that God gave to Moses stoning? Was King David stoned?

Has to who said God, would cast people into hell for committing adultey, I would definitely like to see where's thats written at.

Nope not all is the of adultery in the law that God gave to Moses.
However God did set down things, how people were to treat other people who caught in adultery.

No king David was not stone, king David may have drink a little bit, but never stoned.

Shaul

Premium Member
Also, people who are raped have no say over their assault.

An injured spouse can un-marry an adulterous partner. No one can un-rape a rape victim.

Not even comparable at all.
And, again, divorce doesn’t “undo” adultery or make the victims whole. Indeed divorce can compound the injury of adultery, not cure it! And, again, the unwitting spouse isn’t the only victim of adultery. What about the children? Do you think a child that suffers because a parent commits adultery is helped when the parents divorce? That adds insult to injury.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Irrelevant. Do you deny it happens at all? Isn’t the senseless, needless death of even one person caused by another a tragedy and a sin?

So you cant provide statistics, fair enough, i just wish other people were so honest

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Has to who said God, would cast people into hell for committing adultey, I would definitely like to see where's thats written at.

Nope not all is the of adultery in the law that God gave to Moses.
However God did set down things, how people were to treat other people who caught in adultery.

No king David was not stone, king David may have drink a little bit, but never stoned.
1 Cor. 6:9 "Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men"
Deuteronomy 22:22
"If a man is found lying with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel."

I hope that is close enough. I was generalizing. If Christians don't believe that God will cast adulterers into hell, that's fine with me. But if adulterers won't "inherit" kingdom of God, what will they inherit? And, I guess, God was generalizing too when he said that the man and the woman must die when caught in adultery? And don't say David wasn't caught. God caught him and had the prophet confront him. And then God takes the life of the child? No, some people are above the law. Oh, and that law about stoning, that was God's law and how long is God's law supposed to last? Apparently, until people don't want to enforce it anymore.

Shaul

Premium Member
You want the play games "most don't"

Yes i said some experience those mental problems

So rape victims dont get pregnant when they are raped?

And of course rape victims are immune to sdi's. Ok

No one is minimising how traumatic being a unwitting cuckold can be but you are the one comparing it with rape.
You focused on rate, not quantity. There are many, many more victims of adultery than rape. A smaller rate for a much larger number produces as many comparable victims. Be that as it may, it would not make any difference to the individual victims, now would it? After all, for the victim of adultery that suffers trauma, sickness or death it would be small comfort to be told dismissively, “Oh well, victims of other crimes suffer at a higher rate.”

Moreover you are missing my main point. This isn’t some grotesque game of “my dog’s better than yours” with a race to ghoulishly parade how terrible victims are. The point is that no genuine victim should have to justify themselves. Yet some here, and I am not saying you in particular, have denied to the victims of adultery the same dignity and validation that they would absolutely (and rightly so) insist be extended to victims of other heinous crimes.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
And, again, divorce doesn’t “undo” adultery or make the victims whole. Indeed divorce can compound the injury of adultery, not cure it! And, again, the unwitting spouse isn’t the only victim of adultery. What about the children? Do you think a child that suffers because a parent commits adultery is helped when the parents divorce? That adds insult to injury.
What is the punishment in Judaism these days for adultery? Is it working?

Shaul

Premium Member
So you cant provide statistics, fair enough, i just wish other people were so honest
I did not write that I can’t. I wrote that I didn’t need to since it is irrelevant. Any such deaths are a tragedy, regardless the number. Or are you arguing that a certain number of innocent deaths is acceptable?