• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishment for adultery

What should be punishment for adultery?

• Total voters

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Punishment in Hindu society would be loss of friends, loss of respect, and possible loss of the marriage, and rights that go with that. Informally, in Tamil culture, it's called the Tamil squeeze. So it's a form of banishment from the community, socially. Certainly nobody goes around cheering for the adulterer, saying "Good job!"

But ultimately karma will come around, putting equal pain on the perpetrator, in this, or a future life.

I also think this also applies to gay marriage, or any long term relationship, marriage or not.
It's pretty much the same in my religion, which places a premium on honor and loyalty to one's kin/clan/tribe/loved ones/etc. The punishment will be social through dishonoring their name and ruining their reputation. They will be seen as a scoundrel and oathbreaker. But if they have an consensual open marriage and monogamy wasn't part of their vows, there's nothing wrong with it, regardless of personal views. That would be their personal business.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
See you must verbally abused me, no judgement there
I did not verbally abuse you! I said that you would not have bad friends, and so you judge, too.

There’s nothing wrong with that...we need to be careful who we associate with. That is making judgments about people.

I meant no abuse.

Shaul

Premium Member
The unsuspecting spouses have the option of divorce should they become no longer unsuspecting.

A rape victim cannot just go to court to make it all go away.
Getting a divorce does not make all the harm done to an unsuspecting spouse who has been betrayed “go away” anymore than a rape victim going to court makes all their harm “go away”. You are actually making my point.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That isn’t “obvious” at all. Feel free to explain why you think it is.
It's obvious to me because of the absolute horror of rape. If that's not obvious to you, I suggest finding some rape victims and asking them. Good luck finding one that can talk to you.

Shaul

Premium Member
Betrayal in no way compares to rape.
But an unsuspecting spouse of someone whose spouse has cheated does not “only” experience betrayal. They could experience many other injuries, up to and including death. You have not explained why the affects of adultery are incomparable to those of rape.

Shaul

Premium Member
It's obvious to me because of the absolute horror of rape. If that's not obvious to you, I suggest finding some rape victims and asking them. Good luck finding one that can talk to you.
I have never in any way suggested that rape is not horrible. I am simply saying that the effects of adultery can also be just as horrible. Do you realize that some victims of adultery have died as a result of that adultery? Died. And died slow agonizing deaths. The problem isn’t that I don’t recognize how horrible rape is as much as you seem to not be considering how very bad the effects of adultery can be.

(Edited to include accidentally omitted word “not” in “... is not horrible.”)

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
If it's not horrible, just what is it? I'm now out of this conversation.
Oops. Sorry. I left out the word “not”. I intended to write, “I have never in any way suggested that rape is not horrible.

But it seems you are looking for an “out” because you can not dispute that adultery can be just as horrible as rape. So, yeah, bye.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Do you think the denizens of Sodom and Gamorrah would agree with you?
Ah, you refer to myth and hope that i’ll believe God will rain fire and brimstone upon people who engage in sex outside marital bounds.

If that where going to happen places like Las Vegas and kings cross as well as numerous other red light districts around the world would be engulfed in flames long ago.

It simply does not happen.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But an unsuspecting spouse of someone whose spouse has cheated does not “only” experience betrayal. They could experience many other injuries, up to and including death. You have not explained why the affects of adultery are incomparable to those of rape.

Could? Sure they could, most don't

I dont believe you have no actually asked me but never mind here ya go.

A rape victim not only experiences a shame and guilt, nightmares, depression, the feeling of helplessness, ptsd,
which could perhaps be experienced by a cuckolded spouse in addition to betrayal you mention. Betrayal because many rapes are committed by trusted family members or friends, people known to the victim.

There is in addition the anguish of personal violation into ones body. Leaving the victim not wanting to be touched not only in a sexual way. An emotion that can and does stay with the victim and is likely to effect their sex life for life, close relationships with family and friends, even visits to the doctor.

Rape is usually accompanied by violence and abuse which will often require hospitalisation. It is often accompanied by mental abuse.

As i understand it there is a higher percentage of rape victims committing suicide than cuckold spouses. Assuming your reference to death meant suicide

But as in previous past threads i would not expect you to even consider a female* view past the 2nd class humans of the old testament designed as offspring factories. Too strong? Personally i dont think so.

Of course it is not only women rape victims.