• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishment for adultery

What should be punishment for adultery?

• Total voters

InvestigateTruth

What should be the punishment for adultery?

Edit: the poll is about a person who is in a committed Marriage relationship with an opposite sex, who has a sexual relation with another person outside of the Marriage. Should there be a punishment for this case?

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In what context? Not everyone believes in shackling to a single human for fornication purposes. Adultery (incorrectly) assumes that fornication outside of legal marriage is something the persons involved find objectionable.

InvestigateTruth

In what context? Not everyone believes in shackling to a single human for fornication purposes. Adultery (incorrectly) assumes that fornication outside of legal marriage is something the persons involved find objectionable.
Well, marriage is a contract and promise between two parties. Shouldn't breaking a contract be punishable?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, marriage is a contract and promise between two parties. Shouldn't breaking a contract be punishable?

No. Each culture has their own laws on marriage. Some people don't mind an open marriage and it works well; why blame them. (Thinking of my friend).

If bahai ethics are only for bahai, why would you assume other people should find punishment in something only considered immoral by bahai and Not the world?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

That isn't a legal issue, but a civil one. Typically, it is decided by the parties involved whether a divorce is justified.

Also, not every marriage has this as a part of the agreement. Open marriages exist and can work well for those in them.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member

@Unveiled Artist already gave a good response to this. Fornicating outside of marriage does not constitute a breach of contract for all individuals and cultures.

I'll grant, of course, that some believe their standards or social norms should apply to everyone, even where that culture has different standards or norms. I'm definitely not one of those people.

InvestigateTruth

@Unveiled Artist already gave a good response to this. Fornicating outside of marriage does not constitute a breach of contract for all individuals and cultures.

I'll grant, of course, that some believe their standards or social norms should apply to everyone, even where that culture has different standards or norms. I'm definitely not one of those people.
I agree that for people who are not married, fornication should not be punishable by law of country.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member

Nor am I.

Marital law and ethics have been incredibly varied throughout the course of human history.

What is really important for me is consent, good faith and trust. If a couple enter into an open marriage consensually, then that is completely different from a monogamous couple where someone goes behind their spouse's back to cheat on them with someone else. That's a betrayal of trust and hurtful, whereas if the arrangement to be 'married' but also engage in relations with other people is already part of the relationship, then it obviously isn't.

As a Catholic, I firmly believe that "our" matrimony is a holy sacrament (not a mere 'contract' as in other faiths) which holds us to a different standard of strict monogamy and faithfulness to our spouse without exception (no "open" marriages for Christians), such that adultery is a serious sin.

But I don't expect that this moral norm will necessarily apply to others, especially those outside a Christian culture and I respect everyone's right to decide such a matter in accordance with their own individual conscience so long as they adhere to the consensuality and mutuality principle.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Punishment in Hindu society would be loss of friends, loss of respect, and possible loss of the marriage, and rights that go with that. Informally, in Tamil culture, it's called the Tamil squeeze. So it's a form of banishment from the community, socially. Certainly nobody goes around cheering for the adulterer, saying "Good job!"

But ultimately karma will come around, putting equal pain on the perpetrator, in this, or a future life.

I also think this also applies to gay marriage, or any long term relationship, marriage or not.

InvestigateTruth

Also, I'll mention that I find punitive justice in general to be ethically bankrupt. Especially when it's been demonstrated by research that punishment is poor at correcting or changing undesired behavior over the long term.
I would think that is debatable.
For example, driving faster than speed limit, is punishable by law, because, it may cause harm. So, even the person who drives faster than limit, has not yet cause any harm to anyone, still he gets punished. Would not the punishment in this case, cause people to be more careful in following driving laws?

InvestigateTruth

What about those who have an open marriage?

For that matter, why should the laws of the country concern themselves with this? Do marriage contracts typically have some punishments declared for breaking the agreements?
I am not too familiar with open marriages. If, from beginning they agreed with each other that they can have sex with others, then, I agree. No need to punish by law of the country.
Believing that God punishes them Himself, is another story and concept.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What should be the punishment for adultery?

Edit: the poll is about a person who is in a committed Marriage relationship with an opposite sex, who has a sexual relation with another person outside of the Marriage. Should there be a punishment for this case?

What happens if the "adulterers" marriage partner is in agreement?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I am not too familiar with open marriages. If, from beginning they agreed with each other that they can have sex with others, then, I agree. No need to punish by law of the country.
Believing that God punishes them Himself, is another story and concept.

What has your god to do with what happens in someone elses bedroom?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I would think that is debatable.
For example, driving faster than speed limit, is punishable by law, because, it may cause harm. So, even the person who drives faster than limit, has not yet cause any harm to anyone, still he gets punished. Would not the punishment in this case, cause people to be more careful in following driving laws?

But each country and culture has their own road laws and speed limit regulations. Some countries people drive on the other side of the road not familiar with people in countries foreign to that "right or left" lane difference. In VA (US) we have a "cushion" law to where if one is on the highway the driver doesn't need to drive exactly 80 miles an hour but there is a cushion to make up for breaking and speeding depending on traffic conditions.

Other states have their laws and so forth. Punishment differs and to some places there are no punishments. For example, in VA we don't get tickets (punishment) for jaywalking but try doing that in DC (and I'm told in some European countries) you'd get fined.

Are there universal laws that are subjected to universal punishment?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Look at these selfish views! "No punishment needed" is the most popular, currently. I feel for the poor children of these unions!

If a couple enter into an open marriage consensually, then that is completely different from a monogamous couple where someone goes behind their spouse's back to cheat on them with someone else. That's a betrayal of trust and hurtful, whereas if the arrangement to be 'married' but also engage in relations with other people is already part of the relationship, then it obviously isn't.

Then why get married? Just live together.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Look at these selfish views! "No punishment needed" is the most popular, currently. I feel for the poor children of these unions!

Why? If it is an open relationship, that can mean *more* loving, responsible adults around. That is a *good* thing.

Then why get married? Just live together.

Insurance, survivor benefits, visitation rights, power of attorney, etc. not to mention public acknowledgement.

/E: Also, sometimes the agreements change by mutual consent. Should a couple get divorced when that happens?