• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishment Before the Temple Fell

Why did this happen?

• It did not happen, I reject my own Talmud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The priests colluded with Rome

• They rejected or dishonored God's commands and failed to atone

• They failed to make reforms God told them through prophets (not including Jesus)

• They failed to see Jesus as the Messiah

• Total voters

Cooky

Veteran Member
In the sect that I was in, there was no tirade against Jews. We blamed the Romans...

Why does it have to be a 'people' whether Jewish or Italian?

It's better to critique a direct teaching or doctrine, IMO, that leads people down a dark path than it is to blame a group of people.

That's why I don't feel uncomfortable critiquing Islam, but I would feel uncomfortable bashing Arabs, Jews or Italian Romans... Simply because I can't justifiably testify what's within their heart -I just don't have that information. Nobody does.

The teachings however, we can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good-Ole-Rebel

I do believe God offers salvation to Jews, not "one day" but today.

However, it's likely complicated.
  1. Jews have rejected the new covenant, so this would mean any salvation they would find would be at the hands of following the Law. But there's an added stipulation. They have to be better than the Pharisees of Jesus's time. And by better, I don't mean more perfectionist about laws. They have to follow all of the laws exactly, but also practice the mercy that Jesus accused the Pharisees of not living up to. Having struggled as an OCD person, I can tell you that while technically doable, this is not a very fun way to live.
  2. There's also a fine balance between helping the less fortunate (the Jew's goal in the absence of an official Messiah is to "repair the world" and some Jews actually believe the Messiah won't come nor the temple rebuilt until all things are prepared), and avoiding the law of unintended consequences (wanting to recycle for instance is very good, but for quite awhile this resulted in plastic ending up in the ocean because it was shipped by boat to China).
  3. In other words, yes very much, Jews are saved by good works. However, The Good Place provides a pretty good reason why this alone is often never enough. As does Final Fantasy X. Yes, I seriously used Final Fantasy in a theological discussion. Deal with it.

Yes, of course. Salvation today is offered to all, Jews included. And some Jews do come to Christ. They must come the same way anyone else does, by faith in Christ.

Concerning the Jews and the Law, yes the Jews were under the Law. There were several reasons God gave the Law. To reveal sin. To reveal the Holiness of God. To place a certain people under His Law so as to provide a place for His Son to be born. But, it was never given as way to be saved.

Salvation has always been by faith alone. (Gen. 15:4) And actually, the Pharisees of Jesus's time were trying to establish their righteousness by being obedient to the Law. Which they failed to do, but everyone will fail at such an effort. The Jews were under the Law, so that the Law could reveal sin, find them guilty, and point them to Christ. (Gal. 3:24)

Good-Ole-Rebel