• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishing censorship on social media: what do you think?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Whilst I agree with that in theory, you have to understand that younger generations rely on social media a lot more than older ones. (Speaking generally.)
So it’s one thing to be like, well words can’t hurt me.
It’s quite another to get thousands of hurtful, toxic messages every single minute of every day. After a while even the strongest of us may begin to crumble.
Self harm has been done over less. Even among generations who claim that the younger ones are “too sensitive.”

A lot of these same arguments were used by right-wingers and religious conservatives when TV, radio, and movies started becoming more provocative. They said too much sex and violence on the screen was harmful and encouraged immoral behavior among the youth. I don't know if it's any more true than it was before, although it's kind of ironic that liberals and conservatives have both reversed their positions on this issue. Now it's the conservatives arguing "free speech" while the liberals are saying it's harmful.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
People act upon information (words) they trust to be reliable. People were drinking aquarium cleaner, bleach, and horse dewormer as magic cures for covid.
Weaponized stupidity poses a serious danger.

Personalized stupidity benefits the gene pool through the Darwin awards.

If your dumb enough to be drinking aquarium cleaner, bleach, and horse dewormer, then your doing humanity a favor by removing oneself from the gene pool.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I tend to think insulation by rules etc provide civility , however it also masks how people actually and really are

I think rules within reason for purposes of civility are reasonable but not rules designed to censor ones candor.
Depends upon what one wants to be candid about,
eg, advocating killing, roasting, & eating Democrats.
(I added roasting to make it seem less gross.)

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

If your dumb enough to be drinking aquarium cleaner, bleach, and horse dewormer, then your doing humanity a favor by removing oneself from the gene pool.
The problem is that such people not only endanger themselves, but those around them. Drunk drivers, for example.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's Twitter and similar that need to abide by the law of the country they provide the service in.

It's not the other way around.
In such a situation, I simply wouldn't do business in a country that would force me to allow the service I provide to be abused in a way that misleads or endangers others. Refusing to be someone's microphone isn't the same as denying their right to speech.
Italy can go bake a pizza.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
By violating the user policy he agreed to upon signing up.
Of course you already knew this. Otherwise you'd have no business debating the subject
People actually read user policies?

You know these things are made intentionally complicated and tedious so people get discouraged from reading these things in the first place.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

You know these things are made intentionally complicated and tedious so people get discouraged from reading these things in the first place.
He still agreed to it whether he read it or not.
It's not unreasonable for businesses to require rules for the services they provide.

What's your opinion on bakeries who refuse to provide their services to gay people?

Why can't conservatives stay consistent on the rights and freedoms of businesses? You can't have it both ways.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of these same arguments were used by right-wingers and religious conservatives when TV, radio, and movies started becoming more provocative. They said too much sex and violence on the screen was harmful and encouraged immoral behavior among the youth. I don't know if it's any more true than it was before, although it's kind of ironic that liberals and conservatives have both reversed their positions on this issue. Now it's the conservatives arguing "free speech" while the liberals are saying it's harmful.
It is rather amusing, ngl

Something similar kind of happened a few years back in certain online geeky spaces
Right or rather alt right leaning folks championed themselves as the “facts and logic” crowd as opposed to those silly snowflake leftists who cared more about feelings. Even dishing out their own little slogan to people “facts don’t care about your feelings.” Positioning themselves as logical debate bros who would humiliate their opponents. And in hindsight kind of weaponising mental health language now that I think of it.
Fast forward a few years and the leftists are now mocking them with their own slogan. It was an……interesting dynamic to watch in real time, to be honest

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Then it's actions that are responsible. Not the words.
fighting-words-furious.gif

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I read them especially when there is strong and strict moderation.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Precisely. If one recommends the crowd to jump off a cliff, I won't do it.
But there are people who will jump off a cliff, just because someone says that on Twitter.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In such a situation, I simply wouldn't do business in a country that would force me to allow the service I provide to be abused in a way that misleads or endangers others. Refusing to be someone's microphone isn't the same as denying their right to speech.
Italy can go bake a pizza.

We are the country of outspokenness.;)
I mean...look at the US. People cannot even swear on TV that immediately these words are bleeped out.
That beep says it all.
Au contraire, here people are free to say whatever they like on TV...and to cross all thresholds...vulgarity, meanness...etc...

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
We are the country of outspokenness.;)
I mean...look at the US. People cannot even swear on TV that immediately these words are bleeped out.
That beep says it all.
Au contraire, here people are free to say whatever they like on TV...and to cross all thresholds...vulgarity, meanness...etc...
:pizza:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is rather amusing, ngl

Something similar kind of happened a few years back in certain online geeky spaces
Right or rather alt right leaning folks championed themselves as the “facts and logic” crowd as opposed to those silly snowflake leftists who cared more about feelings. Even dishing out their own little slogan to people “facts don’t care about your feelings.” Positioning themselves as logical debate bros who would humiliate their opponents. And in hindsight kind of weaponising mental health language now that I think of it.
Fast forward a few years and the leftists are now mocking them with their own slogan. It was an……interesting dynamic to watch in real time, to be honest

A lot of things have reversed. It used to be the Democrats were also against free trade, while the Republicans were all for it. Now, the Democrats are fanatical true believers in free trade, even more so than the Republicans.

There was once a time when Democrats would advocate for peace, and they would question/criticize the government, especially the Defense Department, Hoover's FBI, the CIA, the Nixon Administration. They used to be more cynical about government and corporations, and they would advise everyone to "question authority." Now, they've become very naive and unquestioning about government, while simultaneously lambasting Republicans as "conspiracy theorists" and "anti-government nuts." Moreover, the same people who used to march in protest against the government over its military aggression have themselves turned into warmongers and militarists.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
A lot of things have reversed. It used to be the Democrats were also against free trade, while the Republicans were all for it. Now, the Democrats are fanatical true believers in free trade, even more so than the Republicans.

There was once a time when Democrats would advocate for peace, and they would question/criticize the government, especially the Defense Department, Hoover's FBI, the CIA, the Nixon Administration. They used to be more cynical about government and corporations, and they would advise everyone to "question authority." Now, they've become very naive and unquestioning about government, while simultaneously lambasting Republicans as "conspiracy theorists" and "anti-government nuts." Moreover, the same people who used to march in protest against the government over its military aggression have themselves turned into warmongers and militarists.

The leftists of today are those who diss JFK and RFK (who were dems) and call conspiracy theorists whoever cast doubts on their deaths.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
@Stevicus
Dems are the most biased (we use the word doubledstandardists in Italian) in the world when it comes about freedom of speech, they think that "dissing, insulting Trumpians is freedom of speech", whereas rightists cannot do anything. They are supposed to shut up 24/7.

That is why our Rightist Government decided to stand up for freedom of speech and set an example of equality.
No more double standards.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

Is this freedom of speech? I 100% sure you will say it is freedom of speech.

Alessandra Mussolini announcing the schedule of the visits inside Mussolini's crypt (where he is buried).
And someone replied "there will be more worms outside of the tomb than inside of it". (LOL)

72285490_2483192318432585_8495994805308882944_n.jpg

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The leftists of today are those who diss JFK and RFK (who were dems) and call conspiracy theorists whoever cast doubts on their deaths.

I think many of them got duped. Back in the 60s and 70s, it was common for those on the left to refer to the police, government, and establishment in general as "pigs." That pejorative started to go away in the 1980s, and then by the 90s, they did a complete switch. This was especially evident when the Clinton Administration refused to support the legalization of marijuana, and practically doubled down on the War on Drugs and the militarization of the police. The left supported that, which is kind of ironic considering how shocked they act when the police actually do show themselves to be "pigs."