• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Punishing censorship on social media: what do you think?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Twitter is a private company providing a service. They are allowed to regulate that process to best provide that service. The same way a fancy restaurant can deny service if you are't wearing a jacket and tie. The dress code is part of the service they are selling. And it is part of the service other people are paying for. So the provider has a right to regulate that service to the liking of their customers.

The vast majority of Twitter users (costomers) do not want to put up with a few toxic extremists, and the company had the right to regulate the service it provides and charges them for, accordingly.
It's no different than my being asked to leave a restaurant because I'm not wearing a shirt or shoes. I am behaving antithetically to the service the restaurant provides, and is charging other customers for. If they let me in, they are in effect cheating their other customers.

That's why the Italian Parliament intends to pass a law that forbids Twitter and similar from censoring users they don't like.

That's the law: Twitter and similar are service providers and need to abide by the law of the countries they have branches in.

Last edited:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If someone dislikes the terms of service on
any social media platform, don't sign up.
Some censorship is useful.
Would you want posters on RF being able
to profanely abuse each other without limit?

Some platforms allow more leeway, or they
censor in different ways. Diversity rules.

BTW, I wonder if Italy is really as bad or
extreme as you post about it.

It's Twitter and similar that need to abide by the law of the country they provide the service in.

It's not the other way around.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I doubt that Italians are forced to
hook up with an over-seas internet
chat platform (chatform?).
Don't like it? Don't join it.

In Italy if you own a store, you cannot refuse to sell something to a paying customer, just because you don't like the customer.
Got the concept?
Same thing as for service providers. They are not allowed to censor someone or to deny them the service, just because they don't like them.

They are not privates, according to our law. A store or Twitter are not private spaces.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Twitter is on the internet, not located in Italy.
Anyone who dislikes Twitter can stop using it.
Got the concept?

The user lives in Italy, though.
Twitter should stop providing the service in Italy, then.

If their will to censor people they don't like,....is irresistible.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The user lives in Italy, though.
Twitter should stop providing the service in Italy, then.

If their will to censor people they don't like,....is irresistible.
The internet happens everywhere.
Tis best if people just avoid what they dislike.
Are Italians too lazy to start a platform that suits them?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
The internet happens everywhere.
Tis best if people just avoid what they dislike.
Are Italians too lazy to start a platform that suits them?

The Italian Parliament will succeed in passing this law.
I hope Twitter has redeemed itself with Elon Musk...and will stop censoring people aimlessly and pointlessly.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Italian Parliament will succeed in passing this law.
I hope Twitter has redeemed itself with Elon Musk...and will stop censoring people aimlessly and pointlessly.
Do you really believe they had no useful goals in censorship?
Do you oppose all censorship?
Should RF eliminate moderation & censorship

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What propaganda?:)
One is free to say that horses can fly or that kobolds and mermaids exist.
What's the problem?

So if a group started organizing against Christianity including posting about how they're going to burn churches and ministers on such a date along with spreading total lies to gaslight people, you'd be ok with that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So if a group started organizing against Christianity including posting about how they're going to burn churches and ministers on such a date along with spreading total lies to gaslight people, you'd be ok with that.

Twitter employees admitted they used to censor users just for expressing harmless right-wing concepts.
Please...
it's a matter of politics.