• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puerto Rico statehood?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Conservative Only
(I know blue is the color of democrats, but I like blue :cool:)

Recently I've heard mention on a couple of American conservative podcasts of the issue of Puerto Rico statehood. The hosts just about scoffed at the idea. I've heard that the people of Puerto Rico have been wanting statehood for a long time now but never understood why they weren't getting it. I can understand being against DC statehood because I think the capital should remain as neutral as possible. However, I've never understood the case against Puerto Rico statehood. Could someone explain that to me?

Cooky

Veteran Member
Conservative Only
(I know blue is the color of democrats, but I like blue :cool:)

Recently I've heard mention on a couple of American conservative podcasts of the issue of Puerto Rico statehood. The hosts just about scoffed at the idea. I've heard that the people of Puerto Rico have been wanting statehood for a long time now but never understood why they weren't getting it. I can understand being against DC statehood because I think the capital should remain as neutral as possible. However, I've never understood the case against Puerto Rico statehood. Could someone explain that to me?

I think the reason is two-fold.

From the left's perspective, it's just more expansionist / colonialism, which is just shallow thinking, IMO... From the right, it looks expensive considering it took almost 2 years to help fix their deteriorated electrical system after the hurricane. Aside from that, they would likely need a lot of federal funding to get up to speed with statehood standards.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the reason is two-fold.

From the left's perspective, it's just more expansionist / colonialism, which is just shallow thinking, IMO... From the right, it looks expensive considering it took almost 2 years to help fix their deteriorated electrical system after the hurricane. Aside from that, they would likely need a lot of federal funding to get up to speed with statehood standards.
Okay, so why remain affiliated with them?