• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Public school required reading lists....

Marisa

Don't go gettin' uppity now.

Actually it was good, but forgettable good. Not exactly Vonnegut on a roll, you know?
You accuse me of getting uppity and then reference Vonnegut? Did I really read that just now???

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
British philosophers? Benny Hill wrote a book?
There's Jon Stuart Mill, one of the few who didn't hate women.
Schopenhauer, I think he hated women because he probably couldn't get a date with that hair of his, which is suitable for any and all mad scientist roles.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I didn't have any issues with my reading lists in school, even if I disagreed with some. The main disagreement I had was that most books were boring. Reading various viewpoints isn't bad, as long as there is sufficient diversity of viewpoints.

If the class has a reading assignment and they get to discuss it afterward, then students that disagree with an author's viewpoint can explain why.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I had bacon for breakfast, whilst talking with bestie. Could only have been better had I been reading a good book. {sorry, bestie!} The good news is, my bestie would agree. :D

I think most things are better when reading a good book. :)

I'm a very simple person, and I like simple things. Perhaps that's why I prefer non-fiction, where the point is presented to you on a golden tray. I don't like to have to dig for it. :cool:

Ahh well then you're in similar company. I too am rather simple. But I tend to be flighty so I see things that aren't there. Luckily the literary elite do the same so as to pretend to be all erudite and stuff. :p

Wirey

Fartist
You accuse me of getting uppity and then reference Vonnegut? Did I really read that just now???

Vonnegut isn't uppity, he's hilarious. I dare anyone to read Galapagos and call it uppity. The man had illustrated sphincters in Breakfast of Champions!

Marisa

Vonnegut isn't uppity, he's hilarious. I dare anyone to read Galapagos and call it uppity. The man had illustrated sphincters in Breakfast of Champions!
Vonnegut himself might not be uppity. But referencing him is. :p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Vonnegut is low brow.
He once opined that the reason his books are popular is that he uses no big words.

Of course, he has tackled deep issues, such as the meaning of Stonehenge & the Great Wall Of China.
(One must speak Tralfamadorian though.)

I see in the news that young folk are rather pro-war...wanting to intervene in conflicts around the glob.
And they're prone to voting for politicians who would do such things.
They should read Slaughterhouse 5.